The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GH4

hot

Chinese adapter CanonEF-mFT with aperture, ca. €60
haha, Metabones without aperture > €400
Novoflex without aperture > €200

... and 3D
[/quote]

Annna T

I think you are wrong when it comes to the Metabones smart adapter costing 400$ : it allows electronic communication with the body and as such you can change aperture directly from the body, as if you had a native lens. It stores EXIF information and also allows OIS. Here is a link to the B&H description of the Metabones smart adapter :
Metabones Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds MB_EF-M43-BM1 B&H

Also, some cheap adapters allow the control of aperture, but not with the proper lens diaphragm : they add a mechanical iris inside of the adapter, while the EF lens is still fixed to the max aperture. This results in a poorer performance for the lens (vignetting etc.).

Now of course if your cheap adapter is able to activate the aperture of the lens using the electronic controls of the body, that is a great adapter. Could you check that ?

What is sure is that you are producing great closeups.

Edit : looking at the picture of your adapter, I'm sure it has a mechanical iris implemented inside of the adapter. That is the reason why there is a diaphragm ring implemented on the adapter. And this explains the cost difference with Metabones. (as for the Novoflex : you pay for the German reputation of high quality engineering).

Last edited:

hot

WRONG :) !

Did you READ?

Metabones Adapter WITHOUT aperture = $478 - "does NOT transfer from lens to camera!"
Metabones Adapter WITH transfer = $600 ... look links ...

Adapter WITH aperture - $45 ...
Fotasy Amea Canon EOS Lens to Micro 4 3 MFT System Camera Mount Adapter with Bui | eBay

PS: my Adapter - transfering datas from Canon lenses to camera (Sony) ... price € 80
Even available for $62! or for $54 - NOT $600! ... Fotga Electronic AF Full Frame Adapter for Canon EF s Lens to Sony NEX E Mount | eBay

Metabones's and Novoflex's Adapters are silly, overpriced dummy adapters - you get same quality from China for $20!

Metabones Adapter Canon EF An Panasonic Olympus MFT | eBay

Metabones Adapter Canon EF to MFT Micro Four Thirds Mount | eBay

Last edited:

Annna T

WRONG :) !

Did you READ?

Metabones Adapter WITHOUT aperture = $478 - "does NOT transfer from lens to camera!"
Metabones Adapter WITH transfer = $600 ... look links ...

Adapter WITH aperture - $45 ...
Fotasy Amea Canon EOS Lens to Micro 4 3 MFT System Camera Mount Adapter with Bui | eBay

PS: my Adapter - transfering datas from Canon lenses to camera (Sony) ... price € 80
Even available for $62! or for $54 - NOT $600! ... Fotga Electronic AF Full Frame Adapter for Canon EF s Lens to Sony NEX E Mount | eBay

Metabones's and Novoflex's Adapters are silly, overpriced dummy adapters - you get same quality from China for $20!

Metabones Adapter Canon EF An Panasonic Olympus MFT | eBay

Metabones Adapter Canon EF to MFT Micro Four Thirds Mount | eBay
Well on eBay you can find anything. Those Metabones are in short supply, so some try to benefit from it. B&H is a reputed camera shop in NY and they aren't a cheap shop. So I'd consider their prices as a good indication of what costs things. Of course if you are in the EU, you have to add the VAT and the shipping to B&H prices.
Still the Chinese are cheaper, of course, but yours doesn't appear to communicate with the body.

hot

I do NOT need communication camera/lens - macro is (for me) a MANUELL action :) - better than automatic!

And I do not pay hundred of dollars for my macro fun :))))
My rule: don't buy Metabones - they are overpriced! :-(

hot

only my 2 cents

out of camera, resized with Irfanview
coins polished with Limettenkonzentrat, "ohne Konservierungsstoffe" *)

*)

V

Vivek

Still the Chinese are cheaper, of course, but yours doesn't appear to communicate with the body.
FWIW, Metabones is also a "Chinese" adapter. ;)

(as for the Novoflex : you pay for the German reputation of high quality engineering).
LOL!

Why is everyone concerned about the quality of these adapters while the mounts on the cameras are really pathetic?