The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro Four Thirds: Buy Now, or Wait?

Should I get into Micro Four Thirds with a Lumix G1, or wait?

• Get the G1 now and get busy taking pictures!

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Wait a month or so for the video-enabled G1

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Wait for PMA (March 3-5) and see what Olympus does

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Wait at least six months for a M43 camera with better manual focusing

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Stay away from M43; it's going to be the digital version of APS

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
R

Ranger 9

Okay, the Lumix G1 has been around long enough for some of you to know your way around it, and there are other rumors swirling about other Micro Four Thirds offerings in the future.

So here's where I am: I'm interested in this format, especially in the prospect of using legacy manual-focus lenses (M-mounts, Nikon F mount, etc.) via adapters. Should I spring for the G1 so I can start taking pictures, or wait for something better to come along?

Making the question more complicated: The price of the G1 is about all I'd want to spend, so future Micro Four Thirds cameras would be out of reach for me if they're significantly more expensive. And if the dollar keeps getting weaker vs. the yen (deliberate US Government policy to bolster exports) I might get priced out of the market entirely if I wait too long.

So, should I jump now, or should I wait? And if I wait, for how long?

back alley

there is always something better in the pipeline.

this is a great camera and if something better comes along then itwill make a great backup.

joe

P

psurfer

Since you're asking for advice, I say buy it now. That's what I did, and I definitely wanted the video version. But I have a feeling that the G-HD is not going to be available for at Least a few more months, even assuming it is intro'd at PMA. And I wouldn't bet on Olympus actually putting anything on dealer shelves even as soon as that.

-And since you mention your price limit, I'd bet hard cash that anything newer will be a lot more expensive than a G1, and will likely still be so through all of '09.

Personally, I waited a LONG time for the G1 (or something I had in mind, like it), and got tired of waiting. I like it, I'm pissed at it for some shortcomings, but think some fast primes will ease the pain.
And I have a real hunch that the system will be grown a Lot faster than some expect -not these years between roadmaps, a la 4/3.

Buy it, it's $5-600 delivered on eBay!

edit: Hey Y.B.III : do something for humanity, and gimme that Nocti!

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Wait a month and buy my G1 for a song, I'll be upgrading to the G1HD :D

p.s. dpreview have already seen the G1HD in action...
Jump to dpreview page which includes the following quote.
"Another point worth mentioning is the the lack of a video recording capability. There are no apparent technical reasons for leaving out something you get in a fifty buck point and shoot compact, and we've no doubt it will hurt the G1's sales; particularly since Panasonic has already shown prototypes of a 'G1 HD' version of the camera that does offer video capture."

By the way, the reviewer is completely missing the enormity of the G1HD being able to capture video... it means that for the first time ever, an electronic shutter has been created for a 4/3rds sensor. This could lead to some revolutionary imaging possibilities for 4/3rds cams with the professional range of ZD optics. HDR/superresolution/noise reduction/split beam prism multi sensor cams spring to mind.

Kind Regards

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
By the way, the reviewer is completely missing the enormity of the G1HD being able to capture video... it means that for the first time ever, an electronic shutter has been created for a 4/3rds sensor. This could lead to some revolutionary imaging possibilities for 4/3rds cams with the professional range of ZD optics. HDR/superresolution/noise reduction/split beam prism multi sensor cams spring to mind.

Kind Regards

Brian
The ability to shoot video using the EVF instead of the VCD will be something that places this camera in a class by itself. The big question is also what Olympus is planning along these lines. I wouldn't mind a half-size micro E-3 with HD video :)

That must be the E-oneandahalf :LOL:

V

Vivek

edit: Hey Y.B.III : do something for humanity, and gimme that Nocti!
No offense, Peter, that drunken monk, YBH III really makes the Noctilux sing.
If I am not mistaken, some clueless thief stole his precious Noct 50/1.2 (the very first version) and he has replaced it with his current one.

Ranger, the substance of the message is the same as what back alley said.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't you simply make yourself happy?
No amount of advice from me or anybody else will settle your question.
I think what you need to decide is:
Do I need a new camera?
In the current offering from all vendors is there something that suits my style and purpose?
Do I have any affinity for any particular brand (lenses, or whatever)?
Do I have the budget? (note that yours truly often skips this step)
Do I feel good about the particular selection?
than go for it.
New stuff with marginal improvements comes along every so often. If I were to wait for what I really want, then I would not have any cameras at all :)
-bob

R

Ranger 9

Why don't you simply make yourself happy?
Feeling like I made an informed decision makes me happy. Feeling like I jumped too soon, or missed the boat, makes me unhappy.

I figured we had enough active G1 users here that I could get a good read on how many people are really satisfied with it, vs. how many wish they'd waited until (for example) something with a better way of handling manual focusing came along.

So far, results are mixed...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That is cool too.
I just have a real tough time predicting the future :)
-bob

jklotz

There will always be something better, brighter, louder, faster coming out in the future. When the HD version comes out, then you'll be waiting for the next rumored version. In the mean time, you'll be missing a lot of great shooting.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey I am sitting here ready to hit the buy button myself so I can have it for Moab. It's today or nothing for me to order. It's 7 am here and need to make the same decision. I still need to sell my 520 kit BUT hey you know my motto. Buy and burn in hell tomorrow. LOL

I am a impatient man when it comes to buying something.:D:D:D

I almost have to stop reading my own forum.

V

Vivek

I figured we had enough active G1 users here that I could get a good read on how many people are really satisfied with it, vs. how many wish they'd waited until (for example) something with a better way of handling manual focusing came along.

Speaking for myself, this is the first camera that I bought that is this "current".

The only reason for that was to use a whole bunch of lenses with short flange focus which could not be used on any other cameras I had (I exchanged my Epson R-D1s for a spectrometer, so no digital range finder either). I am glad that no one was serious enough to buy my 50/0.95 that I tried to sell (since I had no digital camera at that time for it). I continue to wait for the M8 prices to reach the figure that I would pay it. It could be a long wait. I am very patient though. :D

The only shortcoming that I find with the G1 is the complete lack of UV response or IR response (why I still would like an M8). If you don't care about that and really want a camera that is good in accurate color renditions, this is it.

Sapphire screen or a camera that is reliable- your choice.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Vivek , Terry has two of them that she is selling for about the best prices that i ever seen. They both are in excellent condition.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Guy. I know. I already communicated with Terry about it as well. :)

Amin

I am waiting, but not for any of the reasons in your poll. I personally don't find the lens choices to be compelling yet. The alternative lens solutions, via adapter, are fine for subjects that are quite still, but having to do button presses to bring up the focus magnification, manually stop down, and click, is not my idea of a good long-term solution. Also, there is nothing fast enough under 25mm.

I know that the 14-45 kit zoom is excellent, certainly worth having, but it won't cover the majority of my needs. It's too slow, and I just don't like using zooms very much.

When the Panasonic 20/1.7 is released, provided that it is not a dud, I will be buying into the Micro 4/3 system. If a better body comes out by then, great. If not, then I will be happy to buy a G1.

jonoslack

Feeling like I made an informed decision makes me happy. Feeling like I jumped too soon, or missed the boat, makes me unhappy.

Hmm - I make a habit of NOT revisiting purchasing decisions - saves me from a lot of grief.

One thing I would say - you will not get a better way of handling manual focus - it's brilliant - only thing needed is a 'one button' press to magnify and back, there's no guarantee that will be in a new model - and it's quite likely to come as a firmware update anyway.

Another thing about manual focusing - in most circumstances you don't need to magnify - it's really easy to see with the EVF or LCD anyway.

So,
1. if manual focusing is your main concern - buy it.
2. if you want a second class video camera as well - wait
3. if you want something smaller (but probably with not as good handling) wait for the Olympus

Easy
:)