The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro Four Thirds: Buy Now, or Wait?

Should I get into Micro Four Thirds with a Lumix G1, or wait?

• Get the G1 now and get busy taking pictures!

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Wait a month or so for the video-enabled G1

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Wait for PMA (March 3-5) and see what Olympus does

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Wait at least six months for a M43 camera with better manual focusing

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Stay away from M43; it's going to be the digital version of APS

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
V

Vivek

Also, there is nothing fast enough under 25mm.
Hi Amin, How fast a wide lens do you use on your D700 and how often do you use it wide open (and is that AF)? FWIW, I have used a 28/1.9 (Vivitar Series 1) on my F2, mostly wide open, for head/shlrds candid shots.

jonoslack

Hi Amin

Popular misconceptions:
I am waiting, but not for any of the reasons in your poll. I personally don't find the lens choices to be compelling yet. The alternative lens solutions, via adapter, are fine for subjects that are quite still, but having to do button presses to bring up the focus magnification, manually stop down, and click, is not my idea of a good long-term solution. Also, there is nothing fast enough under 25mm.
1. in most circumstances the focusing is fine without the focus magnification (much better than manual focusing on a 4:3 slr for instance).
2. you don't have to stop down manually - obviously you choose the aperture on the lens, but after that you just take pictures - the EVF is quite up to use at f10 in decent light and the exposure is calculated on the available light. It is exactly like using a manual lens on an SLR. What's better is you have a 'realtime' depth of preview as well.

Amin

Hi Amin

Popular misconceptions:

1. in most circumstances the focusing is fine without the focus magnification (much better than manual focusing on a 4:3 slr for instance).
2. you don't have to stop down manually - obviously you choose the aperture on the lens, but after that you just take pictures - the EVF is quite up to use at f10 in decent light and the exposure is calculated on the available light. It is exactly like using a manual lens on an SLR. What's better is you have a 'realtime' depth of preview as well.
Hi Jono,

I can appreciate your points, but I didn't have any misconception. For me, magnification makes a big difference and I would not like to be without it. Without magnification, it is a lot like focusing with a full frame DSLR, which I don't find so easy. Second, focusing after stopping down is not as accurate or precise as focusing before stopping down. The DOF is deeper when stopped down, so it's harder to put the focus point in the center of the DOF.

It really comes down to preferences. I'd rather not buy a what I know for me is going to be a short term, stop gap solution, so I will be waiting for the Panasonic 20/1.7.

All best,
Amin

Last edited:

monza

In my case, having a body that could use lenses from all three of my other systems (Leica M, Nikon RF, and Nikon F) was the key.

Yep, it would be cool to have an Olympus version with in-body VR and perhaps a few other minor improvements, and the pending HD would be nice too (if, as Brian indicates might happen, it brings still frame improvements along with it.)

But that's no reason to wait, I'll just sell the G1 if I need to at that point. It won't lose all that much value, heck my M8 depreciated more than the entire cost of the G1, I'd have to pay someone to take the G1 to have the same result. :)

Hey I am sitting here ready to hit the buy button myself so I can have it for Moab. It's today or nothing for me to order. It's 7 am here and need to make the same decision. I still need to sell my 520 kit BUT hey you know my motto. Buy and burn in hell tomorrow. LOL

I am a impatient man when it comes to buying something.:D:D:D

I almost have to stop reading my own forum.
My G1 arrives today, making history as the first new camera model I will receive before you Guy! ;>) best....Peter

wolverine

Feeling like I made an informed decision makes me happy. Feeling like I jumped too soon, or missed the boat, makes me unhappy.

I figured we had enough active G1 users here that I could get a good read on how many people are really satisfied with it, vs. how many wish they'd waited until (for example) something with a better way of handling manual focusing came along.

So far, results are mixed...
It is evident that we are past the early adopter stage and into the gee what should I do stage... The camera is excellent as is. Waiting for the next best thing only keeps you waiting. Manual focusing for me is very easy and fast. Not much slower than auto focus. But I don't shoot formula one or rug rats running around the house or yard. :ROTFL:

Last edited:
P

psurfer

And another dilemma to face will be the likely omission of the movable LCD on the 1st Olympus mdl (assuming they offer the svelte RF-like one 1st). That's what I would expect- prob better VF (of whatever sort), but fixed LCD.

Darn. I'm Very into the movable LCD.

Brian Mosley

Wolverine, the minor frustration I have is that MF could be even faster and more fluid with a tweak to the user interface... then you may just be able to shoot something that moves ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

And another dilemma to face will be the likely omission of the movable LCD on the 1st Olympus mdl (assuming they offer the svelte RF-like one 1st). That's what I would expect- prob better VF (of whatever sort), but fixed LCD.

Darn. I'm Very into the movable LCD.
Well, I've read that the actual m4/3rds offering by Olympus will be very different to the tobacco tin concept model... we can only wait and see.

I'd like to see someone go another step, to a wifi connected remote lcd... this could also be a remote control/configuration device. I'd love to see an ipod interface :

Very much doubt it will happen - but it's a shame.

Kind Regards

Brian

cjlacz

That's just what we need! An iPhone with a m4/3s mount on the back. :D (or maybe only a 8mm flange distance? m4/3s just missed out on the interchangeable lens camera phone market!)

mawz

Well, I'm quite satisfied with my G1, and nothing in the pipeline seems more interesting (neither the HD mockup or the Altoids Tin Olympus interest me in the least as of yet) so I'm pretty happy I bought it when I did.

I am looking forward to more lenses. Particularly the 7-14 and 20/1.7, but I'd also like to see what Oly brings to the table in the way of m43 lenses (or m43-compatible updates for current lenses)

P

pip22

I would be wary of buying the "first of a kind" which is what the G1 is. There are some issues with it that need addressing and hopefully Panasonic will heed the criticisms as they work on it's successor. Due to the rapid advances in technology and the never-ending introduction of new, better cameras I don't think you'll have long to wait for a G2 or whatever moniker they give it.

Brian Mosley

pip22, good advice - but you can be sure that any major problems would have been spotted by us early adopters by now... and Panasonic have been listening to feedback and suggestions for improvements by free firmware upgrade too.

I have no reservations in recommending the G1 to anyone wanting the best digital body available for use with legacy lenses.

Kind Regards

Brian