The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 11-22mm on a G1

Martin S

Since this lens uses fly by wire manual focus, can ir be used in manual focus mode on the G1??

Anyone out there using it on a G1??

Thanks.

Martin

Brian Mosley

Hi Martin, yes I've used it with the G1... works fine and gives a very useful fast 11mm f2.8 (22mm EFL) through to 22mm f3.5 (44mm EFL) - it's a little heavier and bulkier than the superb ZD 9-18, but keeps its place in my kit.

Kind Regards

Brian

Martin S

Brian- How does the 11-22 mm IQ compare to the 9-18 mm IQ??

I like the idea of a smaller, auto-focussing lens, but the 11-22 mm is faster, and perhaps a bit better constructed???

What do u think??

Martin

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Personally, I think the 9-18 is sharper... but lighter weight and slower than the 11-22.

The extra speed of the 11-22 can be really useful - as can the extra wide fov of the 9-18.

I suppose that, if I could only have one of them it would be the 9-18 - as my subject of preferance is landscapes, and I prefer the amazingly compact lens (it balances extremely well on the G1)

Here's an image with the 11-22... after it had been completely submerged in a river earlier the same evening (luckily mounted to one of my E-3's - so easily dried off with my t-shirt).

E-3 + ZD 11-22mm f2.8-3.5
1/8s f/8.0 at 11.0mm iso100

And here's an image with the 9-18, wonderful lens!
E-520 + ZD 9-18mm f4-5.6
1/400s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

And just for fun, here's a shot with the ultimate 4/3rds UWA - the ZD 7-14mm f4... my son, using the ZD 9-18
E-3 + ZD 7-14mm f4
1/1000s f/4.0 at 7.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Martin S

Thanks Brian!!

What great shots.

Of course, this makes my decision much harder!!

Wider, or faster???

Do u feel that the construction of the 11-22 mm is much better than the 9-18 mm??

Also, with the 7-14 mm m4/3 coming out "soon", do u feel that it might be worth the wait for the m4/3 lens??

Hmmmm.

Thanks.

Martin

back alley

i'm waiting on the new m43 wides to emerge.
i'd prefer not to use an adapter (one less thing to buy and or lose) and i want the ability to autofocus.

Martin S

Hi back alley!!

The 9-18 does auto focus with the 4/3-m4/3 adapter.

Any idea of when the 7-14 m4/3 will be available???

Thanks.

Martin