The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bummer - G1 won't accept 4gb SD card

So I have 4 Transcend 4 GB SD (not SDHC) cards that work fine in my M8's. The G1 gives a card error and won't even let me into the menu to format it. So, guess I gotta get the manual....let's see.... it'll format SD cards up to 2 GB, SDHC up to 32GB, guess I'm in no man's land with these transcends.
arrgh. frustratedly.....Peter

Thanks John, no go. My Mac gives only the Fat 16 option for this card, I tried and it didn't work. I have a 8GB SDHC on the way. best...Peter

mazor

4Gb non SDHC cards can sometimes be unreliable, as it does not conform to any of the SD standards. SD HC cards are extremely cheap these days, so it is a good idea to migrate to that that standard.

Also if your M8's firmware is up to date, I believe there i no reason why you cannot use SDHC cards rather than slow non SDHC ones.

MAzor

4Gb non SDHC cards can sometimes be unreliable, as it does not conform to any of the SD standards. SD HC cards are extremely cheap these days, so it is a good idea to migrate to that that standard.

Also if your M8's firmware is up to date, I believe there i no reason why you cannot use SDHC cards rather than slow non SDHC ones.

MAzor
all true my friend, but these 150X transcends have operated flawlessly in the M8 for 2 years so I'll continue to use them there. I never have been limited by a too slow card read. But they will get fazed out and replaced with SDHD. By the way, how critical is it to get the fastest SDHC cards for the G1? I opted for a lexar 8GB for about $35 that was not top of the chart, those would have been twice as expensive. Thanks...Peter

mawz

all true my friend, but these 150X transcends have operated flawlessly in the M8 for 2 years so I'll continue to use them there. I never have been limited by a too slow card read. But they will get fazed out and replaced with SDHD. By the way, how critical is it to get the fastest SDHC cards for the G1? I opted for a lexar 8GB for about $35 that was not top of the chart, those would have been twice as expensive. Thanks...Peter
I'm currently using Class 4 4GB SDHC cards in my G1 (got a pair of HP's for $20). They're fine for the most part as the G1 has enough buffer to make up for the poor speed of the cards.