The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 - Zuiko 50mm Leica 75 'cron Zeiss 50 sonnar and oufro

jonoslack

Hi there
Silly games . . . but what fun! I'm afraid that the trouble is that my tripod probably isn't up to a real war of the worlds. Anyway, there are two photos - all are shot at f2, for the first post it's:
Zuiko 50mm f2

Zeiss 50mm sonnar @ f2 with OUFRO

Leica 75mm 'cron @f2 with OUFRO

then we have 100% crops from the point of focus

Zuiko 50mm f2

Zeiss 50mm sonnar @ f2 with OUFRO

Leica 75mm 'cron @f2 with OUFRO

jonoslack

Okay - here are some more.
This time I did a closest focus on the Zeiss, (without OUFRO), and then used the Zuiko and the 75 'cron from the same distance

Zuiko 50mm f2

Zeiss 50mm sonnar @ f2

Leica 75mm 'cron @f2

then we have 100% crops from the point of focus

Zuiko 50mm f2

Zeiss 50mm sonnar @ f2

Leica 75mm 'cron @f2

jonoslack

Finally (well, until there is daylight anyway).

I've ditched the sonnar (for this excercise, it isn't what it was designed for, and it isn't that great for it).

So, here is a comparison between the Zuiko 50 and the 75 'cron. I moved the tripod back for the cron to make a comparable field of view - both were shot at f2.8.

Okay -

Zuiko 50mm

Leica 75 'cron

and then 100% crops
Zuiko 50mm

Leica 75 'cron

jonoslack

Fun for me
Boring for you !

Still, a couple of observations. The OUFRO may be fun, but it's a fiddle, and the results don't really seem to be as good as those from the Zuiko.

Shooting without the OUFRO, the Zuiko 50 still holds it's head up really well (mind you, I've always felt it was one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used).

The final shot, between the Zuiko and the 75 'cron is important for me, because I've always felt that these are the two crispest lenses I've owned.

I guess that the 'cron might just about sneak it, but in reality there isn't much to choose between them.

Please note, the poor quality of my manfrotto tripod is only exceeded by my inability to summon up the enthusiasm to really test properly (I KNOW how to do it, but that's a different matter :ROTFL:)

If this has bored you . . .console yourself that I've had fun.
If it's interested you . . then I'm pleased to be of service.

jonoslack

HI John
would you rather chew sharp apples or blurry ones?

Vivek
you got it - it's a splendid lens

Kevin
yes - it's the 4:3 Zuiko - it's teeth are short (well, I've had it for a couple of years).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Fun for me
Boring for you !
Jono, in that case, I believe there's a position as testing setup director available just down the road from you. Just see to that the Martini bottle stands straight, and you're out of trouble :ROTFL:

Olympus always made macro lenses non plus ultra, and the digital 50 is no exception, which you clearly show here. Does it AF on the G1?

jonoslack

Jono, in that case, I believe there's a position as testing setup director available just down the road from you. Just see to that the Martini bottle stands straight, and you're out of trouble :ROTFL:
Hmm - it might be fun for a day, and as for this test . . . . it took an hour, including processing. Quite enough fun for a month or so!
As for working for Phil . . . can you imagine it? :talk028::argue::banghead::cussing::angry::bugeyes::confused::eek:
Olympus always made macro lenses non plus ultra, and the digital 50 is no exception, which you clearly show here. Does it AF on the G1?
No - it doesn't AF - but the manual focusing is good and fine.

T

terryc

Jono,

Thanks for the effort. I am amazed at the versatility of the G1 - I have a Hexanon M dual 21/35 which takes on a whole new life on the G1. I am waiting for some time (and weather) to compare the Zeiss 25mm F2.8 to the Oly 25mm F2.8 Pancake. So much fun....

Best regards. Terry

peterb

Excellent comparison. Very revealing.

Um...I'm a little sheepish asking this but what does OUFRO stand for?

Peter

T

terryc

Peter,

It is an Leica extension ring used for close-up work, primarily designed for the Visoflex, but the G1 changes that of course. Back in the 'good old days' Leica used letters rather than numbers for catalog purposes.

Best regards Terry.

P

psurfer

Jono, re focusing the ZD macro on the G1 -I haven't played w/one yet, so am still a little leery of the focus by wire thing for macro work, where I want Absolute dictator-like manual control: Completely *Instant* feedback and no stepping in between focus increments. This is definitely not the case w/MF at closest distance w/the kit lens, where you can spend far too much time trying to "predict" and land the exact point.

I have a Canon FD 50 macro (100, too) that's crazy sharp -would make a good shootout vs the ZD if I get one- and it's focus barrel is smooth as melting butter ("Mmmmm, butter..."). You can finesse the ring back and forth around the focus point and nail it w/no funny business. But the extra 1.5 stops of the ZD, and possibility (maybe) of it being AF updated still have me wondering if I need still another macro.

What say you? And I mean your most critical assessment of MF action of the ZD at it's worst, please, so I know what I'd be getting into in the most demanding situations.

cam

thank you, Jono!

(but what the hell were you thinking when you used the Sonnar in the first place? silly boy!)

it helped solidify my lack of lust for this little guy. i know everybody is having a blast with the G1, but i still don't get it. whilst you can use your M lenses on it, the only one that i've seen that made me pause (and drool) was the Noctilux. most of the others seem to lose their character....

you said in another thread that this "baby DSLR" makes you want to use your real one, and that the M lenses make you want to use your M cam. that's the way i feel about it just by looking at all the images. horses for courses and all that.... perhaps Oly will change my mind if they get the form factor right (think Pen F). otherwise, i'm truly left cold by the G1 and i lust after nearly everything.

Brian Mosley

Nice example Jono - that's progress I guess :ROTFL: maybe something in these 'designed for digital' ZD lenses?

Kind Regards

Brian

pgmj

I suppose that neither the Sonnar nor the Summicron are designed for close-up use with extension rings. That Zuiko lens seems like a real gem, though.

jonoslack

Hi There Cam
Thanks for chipping in
thank you, Jono!

(but what the hell were you thinking when you used the Sonnar in the first place? silly boy!)
Well, by f2.8 it's pretty sharp, but it fell over, because it doesn't focus closely enough, and the OUFRO looks like perhaps it isn't such a good idea after all!
it helped solidify my lack of lust for this little guy. i know everybody is having a blast with the G1, but i still don't get it. whilst you can use your M lenses on it, the only one that i've seen that made me pause (and drool) was the Noctilux. most of the others seem to lose their character....
Actually, the sonnar is quite good from that point of view (but I do miss my Noctilux :-(

you said in another thread that this "baby DSLR" makes you want to use your real one, and that the M lenses make you want to use your M cam. that's the way i feel about it just by looking at all the images. horses for courses and all that.... perhaps Oly will change my mind if they get the form factor right (think Pen F). otherwise, i'm truly left cold by the G1 and i lust after nearly everything.
Wow - you remember what I said? I never can:ROTFL:

Quite right though - exactly my feelings, and they haven't changed, this is simply gear fun. It doesn't add to the photographic arsenal at all. It may be exciting to use Leica lenses on something like this, but I agree with you, they lose their character without gaining anything much.

Some may argue that the G1 has:
1. more resolution
2. more dynamic range
3. better high ISO
4. easier focusing
than the M8 . . . . but I know which file I'd pick - every time.

I suppose that one might argue that the G1 good for macro work (and it is), but actually, I find the d-Lux4 (and before it the GX100) to be excellent for the sort of macro I do.

So, when I've finished having my fun, I guess this will be off to the sale section, and with a pretty low picture count into the bargain!

jonoslack

Hi Terry
Jono,

Thanks for the effort. I am amazed at the versatility of the G1 - I have a Hexanon M dual 21/35 which takes on a whole new life on the G1. I am waiting for some time (and weather) to compare the Zeiss 25mm F2.8 to the Oly 25mm F2.8 Pancake. So much fun....

Best regards. Terry
Pleased to be of service - it's a comparison I could do as well . . . whether I'll get around to it is something different!

What say you? And I mean your most critical assessment of MF action of the ZD at it's worst, please, so I know what I'd be getting into in the most demanding situations.
high there psurfer - I think the focusing is absolutely excellent - it really is a good lens.

Nice example Jono - that's progress I guess :ROTFL: maybe something in these 'designed for digital' ZD lenses?

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian
Absolutely there is - what a splendid little lens that 50 is. But I'm afraid that Cam has a real point - it isn't that the leica lenses aren't as good . . .but they do seem to lose their character on the G1.

Fun as all this is, I still think it's just fiddlearsing about, and when I want to take pictures I'll grab the A900 or the M8 or the E3, depending on the circumstances.