The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Converters for m4/3 sytems

dhsimmonds

Does anyone know of any good converters (1.4 or 2.0) for the Olympus or Panasonic m4/3 systems? Do they exist? Can they even work with mirrorless systems? :lecture:

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Dave,

sorry, I don't understand your question ?
What kind of convertors are you after ?

C U,
Rafael

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I suppose you mean teleconverters. No, they don't exist, not for any mirrorless system as far as I know. Maybe it has something to do with the corrections made in firmware for most of the lenses. Adding a TC would probably complicate things.

For the old 4/3 system, ther were TCs available, 1.4 and 2.0. Adding those between a 4/3 lens and the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter should be possible, but I haven't tried.

dhsimmonds

Thanks Jorgen, yes I know of many users of 4/3 lenses with a TC used successfully on m4/3 but none have been able to give a satisfactory reason why there are no TC's available for m4/3rds lenses!!

Rafael, I think that Jorgen's reply may have answered your own understanding of my question?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This new converter is just what I had waited for - results with the new 2.8/40-150 in a 4/56-210.

This translates to a 4/112-420 - awesome! And this as pro lens quality!

Unfortunately all my m43 gear is gone, because I was not aware of this converter to come! Exactly what I was looking for as wildlife shooting gear!

Will see how good the combo is optically, but given how great the 43 1.4 converter worked with the 2/35-100 I have high hopes.

Maybe I have to get this ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The new 1.4 TC is designed to work only with the 2 new PRO lenses.
Which is a pity, but it kind of confirms my theory that there are good reasons why no TC has been offered until now. I suppose a firmware upgrade is required to make this one work properly. I also wonder if it will work on Panasonic cameras.

Still, this will be an awesome combo as Peter points out. To get similar telephoto reach and quality with a DSLR, a big stash of money and a strong back is needed.