The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1 with 4K video

Charles Wood

Unless the E-M1 had some heavy duty processing power to begin with, it's hard to believe it could offer frame rate options that were quoted in the rumors article. The Panasonic GH4, specifically designed as a multi-codec/frame rate camera, can only handle 4K at 30fps. It does have high frame rate capability with 1080P and that could be the same scenario for the E-M1.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Panasonic claims that it isn't possible to do 4K and unlimited time HD video with IBIS, since IBIS detaches the sensor from the cooling device. On the other hand, maybe the guys at Olympus are simply more clever than those at Panasonic. If they can pull this off, it's a major achievement, and a big smack in the face for Panasonic and Sony.

G43

It seems to be true.
Video and IBIS is a dream combo. Add then 4K.
It makes me consider to add the 8mm fisheye lens beside the 12mm I already have + all the others ;-)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If it's true, I'm buying an E-M1 as soon as possible. It might not feature the transfer rates of the GH4, but what a camera that will be!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Although I would love that Olympus is capable of showing 4k with the next FW release - remark I hope for Olympus as I do no longer own my EM1 - I would be still surprised that it is possible! 4k requires fast processing engine and also codec implementation in HW that I hardly can believe Olympus designed these features in the EM1 some 2 years ago already. Why did they not show it with the original version already?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To start with, the E-M1 was launched a year ago, just a few months before the GH4, and 4K has been in the cards for years. The camera must have a formidable processing and storage capacity, managing 40 RAW files in one burst and emptying them onto a card in 14 seconds. The challenge is the bitrate and how to get around that. It doesn't help much to have 4K if the camera can't keep up with the challenge. We just have to wait and see, don't we?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I thought from the beginning that K video is just a dream of some rumor-addicted folks. So no big surprise here!

I am sure it will come with one of the next OMD models, which are more than just adding a "silver" version ;)

Knorp

Just received notice from Olympus new EM1 firmware is available for download.
Anyone did give it try already ?

kind regards.