The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally got to handle G1; couple of questions

R

Ranger 9

After all the reading I've been doing here and elsewhere, I finally got the chance this evening to handle a G1! None of the local camera stores carry it - but was in a big furniture-and-electronics store this evening and, somewhat to my surprise, saw one in the display case.

Even more to my surprise, the salesman seemed pretty knowledgeable once he figured out I was a fellow enthusiast, and was happy to take it out, give me a good long demo, chat about the Olympus rumors, etc.

Now that I've seen and handled it, I have a couple of questions for our base of existing users. Both of them concern the eye-level finder:

Finder blackout during shots seemed surprisingly long, considerably longer than a DSLR's mirror blackout. Is this normal? It seemed that in continuous advance mode, the camera might fire "blind" for two or three frames.​

A lot of my shooting involves movement (of people) so I tried panning around the store at a typical action-following clip. The finder image seemed to get very blurry when I moved the camera. Is this typical?​

Any informed comments from users about how the blackout and blur should compare to a typical DSLR finder image?

It occurs to me that since I forgot to check the ISO setting or notice what shutter speed I was getting, the long blackout could have just been caused by a slow shutter speed. And if the "shutter speed preview" feature I've read about is turned on by default, this could also account for the blurry finder image. I may go back to the store and have another look, if people feel this experience was atypical.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Terry

Honestly, there are so many different settings on the camera it would be hard to tell what is set. Perhaps when you go back to the store try and do a burst, try and use focus tracking and have the sales person move around etc., on single shot you can turn off the image review. So many variations.
Also, I just stuck the camera on iA and shot a bunch of shots in a row. I find in single shot by the time I can release the shutter and go push it again I'm back the the live view and get focus confirmation for the next shot very quickly.
Bring a memory card and play.

I went through settings with Guy earlier and there are a lot of them.

V

Vivek

What Terry said (nice summary, Terry). I am not bothered by blackouts, etc.
I use MF (manual focus) lenses, I use the LCD (waist level) for focus, I do not have image review. I view/compose in B&W mode with a custom setting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Now that I've seen and handled it, I have a couple of questions for our base of existing users. Both of them concern the eye-level finder:

Finder blackout during shots seemed surprisingly long, considerably longer than a DSLR's mirror blackout. Is this normal? It seemed that in continuous advance mode, the camera might fire "blind" for two or three frames.​

A lot of my shooting involves movement (of people) so I tried panning around the store at a typical action-following clip. The finder image seemed to get very blurry when I moved the camera. Is this typical?​
Finder blackout is my biggest gripe -- but let's point out the finder doesn't actually black-out, it freezes on the last captured image while it processes. And yes, it essentially renders the camera unusable for continuous mode firing while *tracking* a moving subject. With a longer focal set, the subject is out of the frame by the second shot and you cannot re-acquire until after the EVF frees up. It's a serious negative IMO.

The other thing it doesn't do is let you lock all buttons, and there are a lot of them. And I have large hands and fingers and am always pressing something inadvertently. I hate that about this camera too. Example, I shot a bunch of shots at my daughter's pre-formal party, and for whatever reason had hit the WB button and somehow set it to tungsten. Worked fine indoors until I started using flash, and by the time I figured out why all my flash shots were suddenly blue, they kids were out the door and off to the dance. Fortunately I shot that in raw+jpeg, so was able to reprocess the raws, but it was a huge PITA and a simple "lock all buttons option" would prevent it...

However, for a one frame at a time camera when you're not in a hurry, it is quite nice. And IQ is excellent. Other than that, I'm not so happy.

m3photo

Re: lock all buttons option - sort of ...

I've always had to be careful with this when working out of helicopters (mistakes are VERY expensive). All I do is set the camera up the way I want and then tape over the buttons and levers I know I won't be needing (or wanting them to suddenly change for me).
The tape I use is Micropore (surgical paper based tape), simply tearing off the size needed and which leaves no residue, sticks very well, you can paint it over with black or coloured felt pens if required and comes off easily afterwards.

simonclivehughes

Good idea, but almost all of the buttons are small push buttons... easily pushed through the tape with very little pressure.

Cheers,

Jonas

Good idea, but almost all of the buttons are small push buttons... easily pushed through the tape with very little pressure.
I think I believe more in the Custom Settings than in tape in this case. Toggling out from and back into Custom Setting let you know the camera is set up to your preferences. It is a bit of fiddling but in some situations it has came to good use. regards, /Jonas

m3photo

Re: Custom Settings

I think I believe more in the Custom Settings than in tape in this case.
Hmm, yes and no. I understand the bit about fiddly buttons "misbehaving" even when taped over, some still do. However, taping over the front wheel is a good bet - think of the times you've set it to "A" at f8 (the kit lens' sweet spot IMO) only to find that it's moved off to f9 or down to f5.6 too many times ...

Jonas

Re: Custom Settings

Hmm, yes and no. I understand the bit about fiddly buttons "misbehaving" even when taped over, some still do. However, taping over the front wheel is a good bet - think of the times you've set it to "A" at f8 (the kit lens' sweet spot IMO) only to find that it's moved off to f9 or down to f5.6 too many times ...
Yes, the front wheel is a special case. I wish they had placed it in a vertical position instead. Maybe that is what I am used to from my 5D, maybe there are better solutions, but - that way one wouldn't press it by mistake as easily.

I agree, the Custom settings are only part of the solution (or a fiddly workaround rather). The solution is probably spelled G2.

K

kiloran

I found that the finder didn't perform particularly well under flourescent lighting which is likely what was in the shop - it exhibited some tearing of the image as I panned. I don't notice finder blackout being an issue in my shooting but I shoot slowly and deliberatly.