The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX100 and GM5

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The GM5 looks really nice BUT

1) the LX100 is available also from Leica and then shoots DNG in RAW
2) the EVF is much higher resolution (I do not understand why the strategy of so many different EVFs at all)
3) has a much faster lens
4) is overall a much more pocketable camera and no need to carry separate glass
5) I anyway gave up on m43 some time ago, so no real lust to get into this system again

I always loved my DLUX's and I am pretty sure this will be an adequate renewal of my DLUX line of cameras.

jonoslack

2) the EVF is much higher resolution (I do not understand why the strategy of so many different EVFs at all)
5) I anyway gave up on m43 some time ago, so no real lust to get into this system again

I always loved my DLUX's and I am pretty sure this will be an adequate renewal of my DLUX line of cameras.
HI Peter
I like µ43 (now my only non-Leica system, although I do have some FE lenses).

A couple of points with respect to the Leica LX100 'clone' though:

1. It probably will shoot .RWL files rather than DNG files
2. the price difference . . . . . . . . .. this time it's tiny (at least in the UK)

Here:
LX100 = £799
D-Lux = £825 (including LR5 and longer warranty).

3. Pocketable . . . the GM5 is actually quite a lot smaller:

Camera Size GM5 / LX100

Both interesting cameras

peterb

I don't understand why Panasonic includes in-raw camera dev in LX100 (finally!) but not on the GM5 :-(

Ricardo
Hi Ricardo,

I also don't understand why Panasonic didn't install the EVF they put into the LX100 either which is why I'm going for that (well actually the Leica D Lux variant).

P

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Peter

2. the price difference . . . . . . . . .. this time it's tiny (at least in the UK)

Here:
LX100 = £799

Camera Size GM5 / LX100

Both interesting cameras
Hi Jono,

you are very right with the size!

WRT DNG - I read this somewhere, cannot remember where. But really would love DNG!

I probably prefer the Leica LX100 version more though as it sure will keep its value much better than any Lumix camera :)

Actually the Leica costs around €1000.- versus €899.- for the LX100 - so also minimal price difference in Austria. Plus there came 3 years warranty with the Leica, which is more than the LX100 warranty.

All the best

Peter

raist3d

Hi Ricardo,

I also don't understand why Panasonic didn't install the EVF they put into the LX100 either which is why I'm going for that (well actually the Leica D Lux variant).

P
That one to me is easier to see - size. The GM5 is smaller than the LX100.

- Ricardo

raist3d

#3 is a moot point- just put a faster lens on the GM5. It can change lenses, no? :) You also don't have more reach beyond 75mm equivalent on the LX100, you can get more on the GM5.

Depends on which lens you put on it. With the Panny pancakes the Gm5 should still be more pocketable.

I really like Panasonic included in-raw camera development on the LX100. I wonder if the Leica version of it has this. Also from what I am seeing the LX100 is easier to hold/carry than the Leica version.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hey... this is not the "If I could only have one camera for the rest of my life" thread. This is Getdpi. The LX100 is of course the not-so-compact-superfast-normal-zoom for the supercompact GM5. You are supposed to buy both of these cameras, not one or the other :loco:

This combo is what you will carry around when you can't be bothered to get the big, bulky M/Df/S/H5D/Linhof etc. (pick one or more alternatives) out of your custom designed, air conditioned camera cabinet :ROTFL:

One camera... humphhh... :wtf:

Although I don't own any of the super-cameras mentioned above, I do own too many cameras of different sizes, stored in assorted dry cabinets around my home and office, and my use of the LX100/GM5 combo (if and when I can afford it) will be exactly as described above, so while I'm joking, I'm not really...

Paratom

One thing I liked about the gm1 is that you can use the zoom outside and than in the evening you just bring the 17/1.8.
I never put any other lens on it.
If I bring more than 2 lenses or longer range I would rather use a bigger m43 body.
Now that the LX100/Leica have such a fast lens I would probably prefer the all in one LX100 solution for a small camera.

I am intersted how good the fast zoom lens holds up to the interchangable m43 lenses.

jonoslack

Now that the LX100/Leica have such a fast lens I would probably prefer the all in one LX100 solution for a small camera.

I am intersted how good the fast zoom lens holds up to the interchangable m43 lenses.
Hi Tom
So am I - so much so that I do plan to get hold of a D-Lux (seems to me that the small price difference and 3 year warranty make the D-Lux a no-brainer over the Panasonic.

raist3d

Hi Tom
So am I - so much so that I do plan to get hold of a D-Lux (seems to me that the small price difference and 3 year warranty make the D-Lux a no-brainer over the Panasonic.
The only thing that doesn't make a D-lux brainer to me is that grip. The D-lux seems to have the "handles like soap bar" of the Sony RX100, the Panasonic has a grip. On the other hand AFAIK all the finishes on the D-Lux are metal, the LX100 I read somewhere has some plastic in the ring or something.

My 2nd other interest is to see if Leica will do in-raw camera development. It's about time Panasonic does this, and this is the first camera that I know of they have that does it.

Finally would be interesting to find out if Leica tweaked the JPEG engine like the older LX5 or LX3 did. Way better JPEG colors than Panny even if Panny has gotten better over time.

- Ricardo

Paratom

Hi Tom
Let us know what you think when you have it. I find it surprising how they achieved to make such a fast lens in this size.

dhsimmonds

HI Peter

Here:
LX100 = £799

Camera Size GM5 / LX100

Both interesting cameras
Not such a great difference in the UK now Jono!
LX100 = £699.99 including built in handgrip free collapsible lens cap and two years warranty and available now. (LCE)
DLux £825, grip extra £59, 3 years warranty and Lightroom and not available yet.

I have bought my LX100 at the above prices as adding a grip to the DLux prices just made the difference too great. I need neither the red dot nor Lightroom. It is a delightful little camera to use with all the main user controls available as analogue switches, sliders or buttons but also very customisable if preferred. It could never replace my m4/3 compact system cameras, but that is not what this little beauty is about!

Last edited:

jsnack

Have you seen the image samples on DPreview? The GM5 samples are clearly superior to the LX100.

I don't know if it's processing, or a lack of it, but I haven't seen a really high IQ image from the LX100 yet. And I so much want this camera.

If anyone can point me to some good LX100 samples, I'd appreciate it.

Terry

have you looked at Jono's samples from the Leica? Everything should be the same except for jpeg processing.

wjlapier

Just curious what the thoughts are of the owners ( those that use them ) of the LX100/D Lux since we've had them for a while.

I'll start by saying that I really like my D Lux. I like everything about it. But after reading Ming Thein's review and his comments on the lens I had to take a more careful look at my camera, specifically, the lens. Now, the only time I've seen corner to corner sharpness from a lens wide open was with the Sony RX1 and the Sony 55/1.8. And I've seen my share of soft corners with many lenses. The corners of this camera's lens isn't soft. Not as sharp as in the middle, but not a deal breaker. I'd say slightly less sharp! The D Lux doesn't have to go in the front pocket of my jeans ( no camera ever had ), so it's size isn't a factor either. I've read about the flare issue but have experienced yet.

Just curious about other owner's experience.