The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yes, I think I would be able to live with this lens

Knorp

Answering my own question:

NEW
11/13/2014

Firmware update Version 2.1
* Precision of AF when M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO lens is mounted has been improved.
- When updating the firmware from Version 1.0/1.1/1.3/1.4 to Version 2.1, the camera settings other than the AF focus adjustments are reset.
- When updating the firmware from 2.0, the camera settings are maintained.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
In Austria they will ship in December, with TC1.4 included a few weeks later.

Upgraded to 2.1 already, no problems found!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I saw one today, at my pusher's. There was a whole delegation from Olympus there too. Maybe they are hand delivering each copy :)

scott kirkpatrick

This will be tight for me. I ordered early and from Olympus, but it has to follow a torturous path to reach me in Montreal in early December. Getting it directly in Israel would probably take an extra year.

scott

Knorp

In Austria they will ship in December, with TC1.4 included a few weeks later.
Mmm, that's a pity ... anyway, there is a € 149 - kind of discount - when ordering the lens together with the converter.
Should be worth waiting for a little longer ... :rolleyes:

Let's hope the weather is lousy ...
:p

Kind regards.

scott kirkpatrick

One of the rumor sites said there would be a discount if you ordered the lens and 1.4X converter together, but when I put my order in there was no such deal in the $$ market. I even asked the support people and they said they had never heard of it. Is it different if you purchase in EUR?

scott

Matix

Thank you for that link Jorgen
I've been pushed over the edge, and have just placed an order for it . . . hopefully it'll be here by Christmas!
A hard decision... as I already have the 35-100mm 2.8 Lumix, an extra 40mm for the price difference makes me hold back. If money was absolutely no object, it would be a nice lens, albeit only for the E-M1, not so good on the GX7 or GH4. The TC would be nice, but for now I will stay with the slower 100-300mm.

Phil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Zuiko looks like an obvious choice over the Panasonic, but it isn't necessarily. It's twice as heavy and twice as large and lacks OIS for Panasonic cameras. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic for travel, but if the AF-C on the next generation m4/3 cameras is good enough for those cameras to replace my aging Nikon bodies, I will certainly buy the Zuiko too, for sports photography. With the adapter, it would replace almost 3 kilograms of Nikkor glass, 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S and 300 f/4 AF :eek:

Knorp

One of the rumor sites said there would be a discount if you ordered the lens and 1.4X converter together, but when I put my order in there was no such deal in the $$ market. I even asked the support people and they said they had never heard of it. Is it different if you purchase in EUR?

scott
Scott, as I said "kind of discount" meaning that ordering the converter together with the lens saves you €149 over buying these items separately.
At least that's the situation here in Holland. Sorry ... :eek:

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The Zuiko looks like an obvious choice over the Panasonic, but it isn't necessarily. It's twice as heavy and twice as large and lacks OIS for Panasonic cameras. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic for travel, but if the AF-C on the next generation m4/3 cameras is good enough for those cameras to replace my aging Nikon bodies, I will certainly buy the Zuiko too, for sports photography. With the adapter, it would replace almost 3 kilograms of Nikkor glass, 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S and 300 f/4 AF :eek:
WRT size and weight of comparable Nikon (or Canon) glass I fully agree. This was actually the reason I sold all my Nikon gear to get back into m43 with EM1 and as soon as available this lens. Ideal for wildlife, sports etc.

WRT AF-C speed and accuracy, the EM1 in its latest FW 2.0 or 2.1 has already gone a long way and is no longer much worse compared to Nikon AF-C performance. And as you say it can be expected that the next generation of m43 cameras will already perform the same if not even better.

Cannot wait to get finally my hands on one :)

Matix

WRT AF-C speed and accuracy, the EM1 in its latest FW 2.0 or 2.1 has already gone a long way and is no longer much worse compared to Nikon AF-C performance. And as you say it can be expected that the next generation of m43 cameras will already perform the same if not even better.

Cannot wait to get finally my hands on one :)
When in the south of France in June this year, I was surprised to find a raptor show at Chateau des Milandes which we were visiting.

I had the E-M1 and the 35-100 Panasonic with me, 5 minutes warning to think about and set the camera... maybe not optimum, but I was happy with the results. I found that the AF-C was less of a problem than my ability to keep up with the birds flying in random patterns, but that was my problem, not the camera or lens. This sequence, while the distant shots needed cropping quite heavily, sure got the focus in my opinion. I think my tracking would have been worse with a much larger lens, it is all about balance... I would like to try this new lens first.

I was really happy with the combination I had to hand, but yes.. another 50 or 100mm would be nice, F4 is fine but you still have to carry it. With the lighter kit, I always had all lenses with me, I remember the Nikon and Sony A days, you had to choose the subject and which lenses you took that day.....

Phil

Camera make:OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera model:E-M1
Focal length:75 mm
Max lens aperture:f/2.8
Exposure:1/3200 at f/4
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Auto
Exposure prog.:Normal
ISO speed:ISO 200
Metering mode:Center-weighted average

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Phil,

those shots look great!

Another example how well the EM1 AF-C works even with non Olympus glass. I think you are right that for birds in flight any of such long lenses are rather difficult to use. When talking wildlife in my case I think more of animals either moving on the ground in worst case. But of course I also would be happy to be able catching hunting lions, leopards or cheetahs if I am lucky to be there at the right moment ....

So I am pretty sure that with the 2.8/40-150 paired with the improved AF accuracy and focusing speed through the recent EM1 FW 2.1 (developed mainly for this lens) should be just stellar :thumbup:

Coming from Nikon with a 80-400 equivalent lens (same BTW true for Canon and Sony which I shot both in former years) the weight of the Olympus combo is of course more than welcome - one of the main reasons I am switching to this :cool:

Finally combined with the excellent Olympus Pro Grade glass you must have a winner - even wide open at f2.8 (or f4 with TC1.4) ;)

Peter

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Scott, as I said "kind of discount" meaning that ordering the converter together with the lens saves you €149 over buying these items separately.
At least that's the situation here in Holland. Sorry ... :eek:

Kind regards.
Aha! So there is a EURO deal. Too late for me. Maybe this is a response to recent currency movements.

scott

Matix

Matix signs off with "These Photographers are Crazy!"

Is that meant as an Asterix quote? (Ces sont fou, ces Romains!)

scott
Oui, ce sont mes héros de.

Yes Scott, when my kids were young they got me into Asterix and Obelix, our family dog was of course Dogmatix... I inherited Matix. Great humour, my recent time in France reinforced the memories... the French humour, translated into English was very well done of course.

And of course, we photographers are a little crazy too, no?

Phil

hughden

Mine arrived on Saturday.
First impressions:
Great build quality. Smaller and lighter than it looks in photos (the lens hood adds a lot of apparent size). Balances very nicely on the E-M1. Fast autofocus.

Tried it with sports and it tracks very nicely with firmware 2.2. Tried it close up and it is almost a macro, whilst allowing you to stay a reasonable distance away from subjects that are prone to disappear.

Great lens!