The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yes, I think I would be able to live with this lens

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually this lens (and the 1.4TC) would be the reason I would go back to m43 again. This would be a hell of a combo on an EM1 for wildlife and safari.

Peter

scott kirkpatrick

Me 2. I put in my order on the day they were announced. Hope to have it by December.

Incidentally, Capture One has lens profiles for the Olympus M.Zuiko lenses and some other good 4/3 lenses like the PanaLeica 25. When you open a raw file in the crop tool, it sets a crop boundary which indicates the point near the edges where software adjustments for distortion start. There are controls which let you see the uncorrected image as well. My 12-40/2.8 lens does use some software correction below about 20 mm actual focal length. It also depends on aperture, but I haven't tried to see how big the effects are. I would expect some corrections are left to software on the 40-150 as well, perhaps at the wide end of its range. On the in-camera JPEGs and the files rendered in Olympus software, I don't expect to see any acknowledgement of this, and I'll bet the effect on sharpness will be undetectable (as it is in COne when I tell it to give me the whole corrected frame).

There is a signal processing theorem that says if you correctly move around the information in all spatial frequencies up to the Nyquist limit (1/the spacing between the pixels in the image) and only make errors at higher frequencies then information in the image which wasn't real to begin with (aliased bits) may come out different, but the true image can be reconstructed perfectly. So I am curious, but not losing any sleep over the trend towards software corrections to make lighter, less expensive lenses possible.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'll wait for the 300/4.
While the 4/300 will no doubt become a great lens, I must say that I more prefer the versatility of a 2.8/80-300 or 4/112-420 (with converter) 35 FF equivalent zoom.

My most used lens so far has been the 80-400 Nikon for wildlife, but the Oly would be better I am sure. And MUCH lighter! And 16MP of the EM1 are enough, but if you add the potential of future m43 sensors this becomes the system to go!

Which does not mean that adding the 4/300 (4/600 in 35 terms) later would not be a great option :)

jonoslack

Thank you for that link Jorgen
I've been pushed over the edge, and have just placed an order for it . . . hopefully it'll be here by Christmas!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thank you for that link Jorgen
I've been pushed over the edge, and have just placed an order for it . . . hopefully it'll be here by Christmas!
I am currently negotiating with my photo dealer to take back my Nikon gear in exchange for the EM1 + 2.8/12-40 and 2.8/40-150 with TC1.4.

How crazy can one be :rolleyes::D

k-hawinkler

While the 4/300 will no doubt become a great lens, I must say that I more prefer the versatility of a 2.8/80-300 or 4/112-420 (with converter) 35 FF equivalent zoom.

My most used lens so far has been the 80-400 Nikon for wildlife, but the Oly would be better I am sure. And MUCH lighter! And 16MP of the EM1 are enough, but if you add the potential of future m43 sensors this becomes the system to go!

Which does not mean that adding the 4/300 (4/600 in 35 terms) later would not be a great option :)

Thanks. Well the E-M1 with a 300 mm lens resolves only 3 or 4 % less detail than a D800E with a 400 mm lens. However, the FF sensor has a much larger field of view. So I will continue to keep and use both systems.

I am not planning to buy one of those 500 or 600 mm Nikkor lenses as I still can easily handhold the 80-400 II lens on the D800E. The 300/4 with 1.4x converter on the E-M1 however would give me extra reach provided it can still autofocus sufficiently fast.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks. Well the E-M1 with a 300 mm lens resolves only 3 or 4 % more detail than a D800E with a 400 mm lens. However, the FF sensor has a much larger field of view. So I will continue to keep and use both systems.

I am not planning to buy one of those 500 or 600 mm Nikkor lenses as I still can easily handhold the 80-400 II lens on the D800E. The 300/4 with 1.4x converter on the E-M1 however would give me extra reach provided it can still autofocus sufficiently fast.

My 2 cents.
Completely agree on the 500 or 600 Nikkor lenses. Far too expensive and far too heavy.

the 4/300 on EM1 in combination with the TC1.4 will be definitely a solution made in heaven in order to replace even FF Nikon. At least for me!

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Mine too Bart
After my little Sony A7s interlude I'm firmly back in µ43 for my 'non M' system.
Jono,

what was it that made you leave A7s (A7 series) again? Any link to another thread where you outline?

Many thanks

Peter

jonoslack

Hi Peter
I didn't think anyone would be that interested in my reasons, but if you are, it boiled down to two things . . .
1. 12mp wasn't enough to crop (and especially shooting events etc. I like to use a fixed lens and crop). Also foliage in landscapes wasn't good enough.
2. I would use it instead of my M system, and I just prefer the M system.

is all

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter
I didn't think anyone would be that interested in my reasons, but if you are, it boiled down to two things . . .
1. 12mp wasn't enough to crop (and especially shooting events etc. I like to use a fixed lens and crop). Also foliage in landscapes wasn't good enough.
2. I would use it instead of my M system, and I just prefer the M system.

is all
Makes lot of sense,

many thanks for sharing

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks. Well the E-M1 with a 300 mm lens resolves only 3 or 4 % more detail than a D800E with a 400 mm lens. However, the FF sensor has a much larger field of view. So I will continue to keep and use both systems.

My 2 cents.
A very relevant comparison would be the D810 in crop mode with the 70-200 f/2.8, the Nikon combo being more than twice a expensive, twice as large and twice as heavy. What the m4/3 combo cannot do is produce 36MP.

I'm still keeping my Nikon gear for whenever I need an optical viewfinder, very high ISO and/or extremely shallow DOF, but then I don't have much need for a large amount of megapixels.

Compact Camera Meter

Last edited:

Elderly

I've been pushed over the edge, and have just placed an order for it . . . !
Hmmmmm ...... I'm very attracted by the idea of this lens too, but justification at this time is difficult for me (I'm standing back at a safe-ish distance from a couple of edges at the moment).

I'm not even good at committing to a camera bag (as Godfrey will confirm :grin:)
and I'll only pull the trigger (I HATE that phrase) if I know that I'm going to stay with Olympus micro 4/3, and I'm SO tempted by the idea of old fashioned dials on the X-T1 :cry:.

ETA. And if/when I get this lens, I'm probably going to have to buy the grip for my EM-1
and go through the agony of choosing another slightly larger bag than my Think Tank MM30i

Last edited:

jonoslack

I'm not even good at committing to a camera bag (as Godfrey will confirm :grin:)
and I'll only pull the trigger (I HATE that phrase) if I know that I'm going to stay with Olympus micro 4/3, and I'm SO tempted by the idea of old fashioned dials on the X-T1 :cry:.
I feel your pain - I really do.
Just don't forget the in body image stabilisation and the lovely lenses!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I feel your pain - I really do.
Just don't forget the in body image stabilisation and the lovely lenses!
Not to speak about the 4/3 lenses that show rather decent AF on the E-M1, some of which are made by Japanese lens gods and now available for very, very modest amounts :p