The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yes, I think I would be able to live with this lens

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since Jorgen abandoned m43 a while back and started boring us with his Nikons :p, we in the meanwhile are all having fun with our 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lenses.
Well that is except one :rolleyes: Yes, you know who you are ... :D

Anyway, I thought it about time to rekindle this thread with the upcoming Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO Wide Angle lens.
It's expected to be announced at CP+ 2015 in mid-February, sooo - we should be able to live with this lens right before summer :salute:
Though I very much liked my Lumix 7-14mm f/4.0 (while I had it), I have very high expectations for this new lens.

Can't wait to have the PRO zoom set complete: The Magnificent Trio from Zuiko !

:watch:

Kind regards.
You are being watch.... and that goes for the Zuiko 7-14mm in particular :eek:

I expect the Zuiko 7-14 to be a much better lens than the Panasonic. The Panasonic was great fun, not least due to its tiny size, but its Achilles Heel seems to be its heavy reliance on software correction. That lens, and the next top level m4/3 bodies from both suppliers, will be very interesting to follow. In the meantime, I'm dragging my Nikon anchor around SE Asia :D

jonoslack

Okay Okay - after a short interregnum I now have a 40-150 again, and this time I'm going to live with it (it's lovely, just lovely) We went for a 3 hour walk this afternoon, and I had the camera in one hand with the lens, (for me that's an important test). There will be more pictures I guess, but I loved this one

Matty - all grown up now (nearly 2)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jono!

This is indeed a lovely lens! I really love mine, IQ, size, weight, speed, construction, haptics etc - I must say I never had such a great lens (camera combo with EM1) - far beyond everything I owned from Nikon, Canon, Sony, others - just name it, in every format!

Enjoy it and have much fun!

Peter

PS: I meanwhile gave up on abandoning m43 - I am pretty sure I will just keep this system forever as I do with all my Leica M film cameras and M lenses.

Elderly

Whatever, when the Sony A7ii was announced I had a knee jerk reaction and send my 40-150 back for a credit note . . . . . .
Taking a credit note instead of selling it - that was risky .....

..... what would have happened if you had decided NEVER to acquire another piece of photographic equipment? :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Taking a credit note instead of selling it - that was risky .....

..... what would have happened if you had decided NEVER to acquire another piece of photographic equipment? :ROTFL:
:rolleyes: Hi Ian - yes, exactly . . . well, I astonishingly I did use it :deadhorse:

Knorp

You are being watch.... and that goes for the Zuiko 7-14mm in particular :eek:

I expect the Zuiko 7-14 to be a much better lens than the Panasonic. The Panasonic was great fun, not least due to its tiny size, but its Achilles Heel seems to be its heavy reliance on software correction. That lens, and the next top level m4/3 bodies from both suppliers, will be very interesting to follow. In the meantime, I'm dragging my Nikon anchor around SE Asia :D
Hey Jorgen, how are you, long time no see !
I'll better be careful what I'm writing here ... :D

As for software correction: I noticed even the 12-40 and 40-150 are corrected at the short end.

Kind regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hey Jorgen, how are you, long time no see !
I'll better be careful what I'm writing here ... :D

As for software correction: I noticed even the 12-40 and 40-150 are corrected at the short end.

Kind regards.
I would expect them to be, particularly the 12-40. Physics would dictate a larger lens or software correction, but being a newer lens than the Panasonic 7-14, I suppose algorithms have improved. Still, I prefer the transparency of optical correction and adjustments in ACR/Photoshop after the fact. I like to see what's going on. I'm even back to manual focus for most of my photography :)

scott kirkpatrick

Usually in Jerusalem by this time of the year one or two of our wildflower species are popping up all around, but a week of snow, ice pellets and rain have left us with just the hardiest memories of last Fall:

In our local botanical garden, yesterday, a few managed beds had blooms:

the bonsai trees were looking sturdy:

and a "wish tree" offered waterproof containers for peace wishes:

I finally found this crocus-y specimen, looking like it was making a statement for the coming season

All with the 40-150/2.8, mostly at f/5.6

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Before I forget, I read Robin Wong's review of this lens a while back. He raised a relevant question -- when to use the 75/1.8 and when will the new 40-150/2.8 do just as well? He shot some comparisons at 75 mm and f/4.0 and presented three of them, all of them foliage, handheld, so that it was not clear where the AF had chosen to set the plane of focus in each. At webscale it was a tie, but he reported that he thought the 75 was a little sharper when viewed at 100%. So I tried the same tests, but in bright sunlight at f/5.6 and f/2.8, using a flat latticework of rough lumber 50 m away at a construction site to eliminate any focus differences. The pictures are pretty ugly, but at f/2.8 the 75/1.8 outperforms the zoom by a bit. I might prefer the 75 on the street, the Pro-zoom for a portrait. At f/5.6 I can see no differences.

That leaves one other comparison on my list. The 12-40 PRO zoom vs the classic Zuiko 11-22 at the two ends of the older lens's range. Someday I'll study that one some more. The newer lens depends a bit on software, so I wonder what is the cost of the tradeoffs.

scott

Knorp

Zooms have their sweet spot range and are unlikely to perform consistently over their full range.
Anyway, I trust the 75/1.8 to be an exceptional good lens !

Kind regards.

scott kirkpatrick

Wildflowers for 2015 are finally starting to appear. These are rakefot (singular rakefet), which are rather like the American columbine.

40-150@150/f.8 1/640

scott

Elderly

Well today ........
........ my heart over-ruled my head
and my want overpowered my need ::rolleyes:.

I'm now the proud owner of this lens !

However my head and my need prevented me from acquiring the teleonverter at the same time.

I also got rid of my lightweight jack-of-all trades 14-150 for just £100 less than I paid for it two years ago (desperately attempting trying to justify my spend on the 40-150 f2.8 :D ).

Elderly

I've just unboxed it.
Very first impression is that it's big and heavy (by M4/3rd standards)
but really well made.
Next impression is that it's not that big, as it maintains its size when zooming.
Third impression is that once the hood is fitted ........ it becomes big again
(my wife likened it to the Hubble space telescope :eek:).

Just wondering around the garden, it's very comfortable in use (with my EM1)
but I'm not sure about carrying it one handed for any distance without a grip,
I don't have a grip, and I don't want the added weight of a grip when using the 12-40.
Autofocus seems lighting fast!
Surprisingly it fits in my Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30 (but no room for sandwiches!) so at least I won't have to go through months of agony choosing another camera bag :D.

I wonder if it's any good for taking photographs? :grin:

scott kirkpatrick

Surprisingly it fits in my Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30 (but no room for sandwiches!) so at least I won't have to go through months of agony choosing another camera bag :D.
I've been looking at my TT Mover 30, which is almost filled with E-M1, 12-40, 12, 25, 45, 75 and has the 40-150 in its nice bag sitting on the table top next to it. I'm wondering if the Urban Disguise 50 is about the right size to hold the still growing family, maybe with room for the E-P5 body and the 60 macro....

scott

Elderly

I'm wondering if the Urban Disguise 50 is about the right size to hold the still growing family, ....

scott
I can't directly help you, other than to say that I have the Urban Disguise 40
and for me it's a wonderfully thought out bag with the plus that when I want to cycle I just attach the 'back-pack' style harness to it.

k-hawinkler

Yesterday the cranes had a busy travel day.
Some shots with Olympus E-M1 and M.40-150mm F2.8 + MC-14 from our backyard.

scott kirkpatrick

Yesterday the cranes had a busy travel day.
Some shots with Olympus E-M1 and M.40-150mm F2.8 + MC-14 from our backyard.
They must not have been reading the weather reports. There is a lot of snow ahead of them. What type of cranes are these (I'm used to seeing European storks around now, but they have more black on them than these.) and what is their wingspan. I'd guess these were flying at anywhere from 300' to 1000' elevation.

scott