The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

White Balance Problems

Today I took out the G1 for a first walk hoping to do some serious shooting. I m still a newbie using this camera. The results were awful. Has anybody encountered similar problems? Who could help?

Data: Sunny day, 11 AM, partially snowy, camera set to spot metering, "A" mode, lenses I had used extensively with good results and no problems on the M8, Novoflex adapters. Pictures resized from original JPEGs, no other corrections. RAWs show same W/B problem.

View attachment 11221
Skis against a grey house wall, Nikkor 4/20mm, ISO 640

View attachment 11222
Landscape 1, strong blue tint, Zenitar 2.8/16mm, ISO 100

View attachment 11223
Landscape 2, better colors, grass much too dark, too much contrast (for my taste) , Nikkor 4/20mm, ISO 100

Thanks
Peter

V

Vivek

Peter, This may sound silly. Did you check the WB settings? Usually AWB (auto white balance) returns a decent color palette for these conditions.

Terry

I know where you think it was set to daylight on camera but can you look at the exif data and see what is says on the original RAWs for the white balance setting.

mawz

Unfortunately WB seems to be the G1's achilles heel. I've pretty much settled on correcting in RAW if shooting colour with mine, using a preset to get close initially. But blue casts are one thing I've run across in similar situations.

V

Vivek

In Silkypix, you can change the WB to anything you like, Peter.

In Silkypix, you can change the WB to anything you like, Peter.
Sure Vivek, as in any other RAW converter I know, but that is an inconvenience I would prefer to avoid. Editing 50+ pictures to even be able to preview them properly after a days shootout is not my idea of pleasurable photography. No such problem ever with the M8.

Last edited:

jonoslack

If I look at the In Camera Temperature in Raw Therapee it is set to 2741 for the first picture
Hi There Peter
There is your problem - daylight should be somewhere between 4800 and 5300 (roughly, depends on converter etc.)

I agree that you should be using the sunlight symbol for outside, but I wonder if it got changed inadvertantly, or some camera setting over-rode it. (or, indeed, RAW therapee has done something).

Diane B

Sure Vivek, as in any other RAW converter I know, but that is an inconvenience I would prefer to avoid. Editing 50+ pictures to even be able to preview them properly after a days shootout is not my idea of pleasurable photography. No such problem ever with the M8.
Peter, I don't know if Silkypix has this option since I haven't tried it yet, but quite a number of other RAW converters allow you to correct one image and then copy/paste that info (WB in your case) to all the others---and that part would be done (I happen to use LR 2.2).

Diane

Hi There Peter
There is your problem - daylight should be somewhere between 4800 and 5300 (roughly, depends on converter etc.)
I agree that you should be using the sunlight symbol for outside, but I wonder if it got changed inadvertantly, or some camera setting over-rode it. (or, indeed, RAW therapee has done something).
That might be a possibility, Jono, since it would be easy to accidentally touch the small WB button, for instance when setting the zoom for manual focus. I think this should be improved.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Peter Werner
Nice to see you here on this forum as well :)
I'm not familiar with the G1.
But when I look at the Exif informations with Opanda IExif Viewer I see the following data (among others).

First image
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Light Source: Unknown
White Balance: Manual white balance (!?)

Third image
Exposure Program: Normal program
Light Source: Fine Weather
White Balance: Manual white balance (!?)

Could it be that you have chosen some sort of manual WB that overrules all other WB related settings ?

First image

Third image

Could it be that you have chosen some sort of manual WB that overrules all other WB related settings ?
Hi Steen,
Thank you for your analysis
The WB button of the G1 is very small and you can easily touch it accidentally when setting the G1 for manual focus. I guess that is what must have happened. In future versions, they should modify this and/or making it more difficult in Firmware, such as asking for confirmation when modifying WB.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Peter,
I went to the zoo yesterday and was walking around. At least 4 times my hand set the white balance to K. I noticed it right away each time, and only had a couple of shots that I had to correct. Panasonic really needs to work on those ergonomics.