The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica D-Lux (typ109) (Panasonic LX100)

nostatic

I quite agree with him, but of course, I was approaching the camera as a compact - I didn't expect it either to match the best of M4/3 (why should it, it costs less than most of the good M4/3 lenses?). I didn't expect it to match the image quality of the GR either (why should a 24-75 zoom on a smaller sensor match a fixed focal length lens on a larger one?).
While I get the comparison to an "equivalent" u43 like the GM1/kit setup, like you I really don't understand bringing the GR into the discussion other than for an apples to celery comparison. I suppose if you can crop the GR image to a 75mm equivalent FOV and have the same quality as coming out of the LX100 you can do that, but otherwise you're back at the age old prime vs. zoom conundrum.

I'm going to go mess with one of these. As I said before, I found the DLux4 to be a special camera in my hands for whatever reason. I've still got an RX100ii in the house which is OK but never had thrilled me. Maybe the typ109 will get a fire burning...

lambert

As far as the lens is concerned - he talks about disappointment with ACR conversion of the RAW files (with the Leica by renaming the camera). I didn't have any kind of RAW support whilst I was using the camera - so I relied on the JPG results, which seem to me to be very good. I do have the RAW files, so that I can have another look when they're properly supported (perhaps it's too early to criticise RAW files until there IS proper support).
Hi Jono,

Are you saying that Ming's assessment of the lens is related just to ACR/raw?

His opinion is: "For now, the lens is excellent in the centre, outresolving the sensor at all apertures – but not so great at the edges."

With your sample, you say "The lens is pretty much sharp from corner to corner at all focal lengths and apertures, and seems to me to have no obvious weak spots."

Does the lens perform better in JPG? Or is it possible you have an exceptional sample from Leica?

Vin

Terry

The jpegs have lens corrections built in. Ming changed the EXIF to open them in ACR. Means he had no lens correction profile. Without the correct profile no corrections are made.

lambert

The jpegs have lens corrections built in. Ming changed the EXIF to open them in ACR. Means he had no lens correction profile. Without the correct profile no corrections are made.
OK, that makes sense. I'll find out from Ming whether his assessment was based solely on raw or whether he also examined the JPG's.

raist3d

Which seemed to be a doomed comparison from the start. A GR is for a particular shooter and in sincerity I really don't think that someone who loves the GR is the target audience for this camera.

I'm traveling with the LX100 and GM1 with 35-100 zooms as my two bodies. Works well but boy do I wish the GM1 had the controls of the LX100.
I don't think he necessarily thinks the LX100 was going to replace his GR. I think he spoke of both approaches- from the pro side and as a nice compact camera. What I see in the review in the conclusion is that 50/50 changing perspective depending on who is looking at it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

As for the GM1- just get the GM5 :) The GM1 controls are just bad (my opinion). The GM5 fixed a lot of it.

- Ricardo

Terry

As for the GM1- just get the GM5 :) The GM1 controls are just bad (my opinion). The GM5 fixed a lot of it.

- Ricardo
Yeah....it's just money....but who is counting.

Seriously. The difference between GM1 controls and GM5 controls makes no difference as they much more similar to each other than to the LX100

Amin

When I change the EXIF to GX7 to open in LR, all the distortion correction is done identically to the in-camera JPEG. I have no idea why this happens. When I open the same RAW file in C1, no corrections are made.

raist3d

When I change the EXIF to GX7 to open in LR, all the distortion correction is done identically to the in-camera JPEG. I have no idea why this happens. When I open the same RAW file in C1, no corrections are made.
LR is honoring the correction profile data. That's all. C1 is not.

- Ricardo

drofnad

LR is honoring the correction profile data. That's all. C1 is not.

- Ricardo
And what correction profile is assumed for the (body spec) "GX7" such that it happens to work (correctly or otherwise) on the particular and unmatched 24-75eq @sub-m4/3 sensor'd LX100?

-d.

dhsimmonds

I received the promotional free automatic lens cap today from Panasonic UK. It works extremely well for a freebie but it necessitates removing the front retaining ring of the lens which means the lens can only retract completely without a filter attached. It's no big deal and I will try a slimline filter to see if that will work.

The lens cap does provide some protection to the lens both when extended and retracted but not so much as a filter does! I am very conscious that a damaged front lens element, means the camera is unserviceable....I can't just remove it and replace the lens!

Terry

I received the promotional free automatic lens cap today from Panasonic UK. It works extremely well for a freebie but it necessitates removing the front retaining ring of the lens which means the lens can only retract completely without a filter attached. It's no big deal and I will try a slimline filter to see if that will work.

The lens cap does provide some protection to the lens both when extended and retracted but not so much as a filter does! I am very conscious that a damaged front lens element, means the camera is unserviceable....I can't just remove it and replace the lens!
After using the camera in the field for a week, I'm trying to decide what to do. Actually considering the leather case and a slim filter. In that setup I would leave the lens cap at home. I want to see what the leather case covers on the back to see if it messes up the ergonomics in any way. I use a simple little wrist strap by Joby that is turning out to be one of my best cheap purchases ever.

lambert

Ming has confirmed that his assessment of the lens was based on examining both JPEG and raw files.

FYI, here's the thread:

Lambert says:
November 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Ming, quick question. Was your assessment of poor lens performance in the outer zones based purely on examining the raw files or did you also examine JPEGs? Perhaps since you imported them into ACR as GX7 files, lens optimisation was not applied.

Ming Thein says:
November 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Both. I suspect there are some sample variation issues at play too because of decentering and differences between cameras.

Terry

Lightroom 5.7 is out with RAW support for the D-Lux and LX100. Yeah!

Last edited:

woodyspedden

HI There
Bob has just done a great job of adding my d-lux review to the front page.

Being as it's a 4/3 camera - it seems that it probably belongs here as well as in the Leica forum:

The Leica D-Lux (Typ109)

It's a great camera - whether you settle for the Leica version or the Panasonic.

all the best
Hi Jono

Great review. Even without words, the 72 pictures really tell the story. If you can live with12mp Particularly for cropping, this looks like a super camera for what its design intended. Too bad there is not a lower priced option for the camera without lightroom as i, and many, already have it.

thanks so much

Woody

Y Sol

Here are some quick test shots with the D-LUX. All shots at 400 iso. I like it so far and sold my x100s for it :)

wjlapier

After using the camera in the field for a week, I'm trying to decide what to do. Actually considering the leather case and a slim filter. In that setup I would leave the lens cap at home. I want to see what the leather case covers on the back to see if it messes up the ergonomics in any way. I use a simple little wrist strap by Joby that is turning out to be one of my best cheap purchases ever.
Hi Terry. Have you figured out a case solution? I have the Leica version and would like a case that covers the back--similar to the case for the Lumix GF1.

Terry

Yes,
I've figured out a lot. Right now I have both the LX100 and D-lux

I bought what was supposed to be a good Hoya filter and it destroyed the IQ. Thought my camera was defective for a bit but taking off the filter solved that. Returned to B&H.

The Panasonic case does NOT fit on the Leica. The rounded edges on the D-lux do add mm to the design and the bottom of case just doesn't fit.

The Leica half case I'm trying to wrap my arms around because I don't know how you get to the card and battery. I looked at it in the Leica brochure and it looks the same as the one for the older D-lux cameras but it goes over the strap lugs but there are no snaps to take it on and off.

I'm pretty sure that I'm keeping the Leica....there is definitely a bit of sample variation on the cameras but overall I think my Leica is a bit better sample and there are only so many brick walls I will photo.

Other than that, this camera and my brain go very well together.....

If anyone knows how these cases "work" I'm all ears

View attachment 84626

View attachment 84627

bradhusick

Terry,
I don't think there's any way to get to the card and battery without nearly removing the case by twisting it forward and sliding it up the straps. Ugh.

Perhaps Luigi will craft one with a cutout. I'll bet that Gariz will make one.