The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4/3 Camera Suggestions

pjmsj21

I am doing a little advance holiday shopping and am looking for a modestly priced camera for my wife to use in a photography class that I am purchasing for her...and possibly myself. Considering that she may or may not get more involved in photography following the class I am looking for something that won't be a big financial outlay if it does sit on a shelf.

Thus I am looking at models that have just recently been passed by with a newer model that only represents modest or few improvements. I don't want to buy something that I will regret because it is not the newest.

Any suggestions? I was thinking the Panasonic G5 but are there better options out there?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Panasonic G5 and G6 are great bargains these days, as is the GX7. The latter would probably be my choice for size and IBIS, but the G5/6 have better ergonomics. Then, obviously there are the excellent E-M5 and E-M10.

ripcurl1169M

Please consider Olympus EM-5 or EM-10 as they are quite good. Can meet your budget. Performance-wise on high ISO and stabilization if you have wobbly or shaky hands.
Please do your research on important factors;

1)The cost of Olympus and Panasonic lens(Both brands compatible with Olympus EM series)

2) Your regular focal length. I use my 12-40 F2.8 as this lens is very good for "daily" walkabout at anywhere. If you are more of portrait shoot person, do consider 45mm F1.8 as it is quite sharp and faster-focus.

Hope this helps.

JBurnett

G5 will be the most economical buy. I'm still using a pair of G3's (the preceding model); the IQ is quite good and I routinely use them up to ISO 1600 at concerts.

If you're looking at the Panasonic kit lens (14-42mm) the G6 was the first to include the II version of that lens which is reputed to be a tad better.

The Olympus E-M5 is being phased out, but retains some extra value because of IBIS, weather sealing, and a better sensor than the G5/G6. The E-M10 and Panasonic GX7 are current models with comparable sensors, lesser IBIS and no weather sealing. Local prices on these seem to vary depending on where you live.

Another option (aside from Black Friday) would be to keep an eye on Olympus's site for a refurbished model. While I have never purchased a body this way, I have purchased a refurbished lens, and it was perfect in every way.

pjmsj21

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I just need your input on a reality check about the 4/3's format vs full frame. I am working off of the assumption that portability and thus bringing a camera vs not brining a camera trumps the image quality difference of 4/3 vs full frame. Your thoughts for general phtography as opposed to sports?

V

Vivek

Look for any super deals on the Sony A7 (there are always crazy deals in the US). You have everythng to gain by going full frame and nothng to lose by not choosing micro 43.

* unless it is as compact and cute as the GM5. :)

Ulfric Douglas

Olympus E-M10 if you can afford a new camera, but it is also not very expensive.
It has excellent stabilisation, not "lesser" as JBurnett suggested, and far superior to the GX7.

Lumix G5 if you are looking for a bargain, but shop around since eventually you will find a ridiculously low price to jump on.

If she is being very modern and not requiring a viewfinder in my opinion the very best choice right now is the Olympus e-pL7 because of its strangely low retail price, stabilisation and modern WIFI.
For photography course purposes you may do well to buy the M.Zuiko45mmF1.8 lens.

silver92b

Do you also have an M43 camera? If so, buy one similar so lenses, batteries, etc. Are useful to both. Otherwise, I would recommend the E-M5 over the GX7 (I owned both). I don't know about the G5 and other Pany cameras. I'm sure they are quite good, but the IBIS of the E-M5 is superior to the GX7. And the weather sealing is also a big plus. I think the video capabilities of the GX7 are better, but for photography, the E-M5 is probably the best bet. And you can get one new or used for a very good price. Just look around the forums for used ones or Ebay and Amazon....

mediumcool

G5 will be the most economical buy. I'm still using a pair of G3's (the preceding model); the IQ is quite good and I routinely use them up to ISO 1600 at concerts.
I too use a G3 (with Capture One) and LOVE the looks I get out of it! Up to 1600 in a pinch provides decent results. Looking for a G6 for its video capability, but I will keep the G3 as a useable spare. :D