The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Soon 40 mpixel µ43 images ?

raist3d

That is not clear. I suspect (and hope) that it isn't like the Hassy stuff.
Well, I sincerely doubt the shutter will be able to shift 8 times (if the rumor got that right), to do a full exposure that will be clear of artifacts for moving subjects. Think about continuous shooting as it is - what is it? 6/8 FPS? That's not enough to freeze subjects.

And they need a way to "reset" the sensor per exposure so they do need either some crazy fast electronic shutter refresh (not happening) or use the mechanical one which sets you back to 6/8 fps.

- Ricardo

V

Vivek

8 is the rumored maximum. If I am looking for low noise and better DR in a 16MP cam, I can live with fewer frames.

Let us wait what comes out instead attempting a speculative debate about vaporware.

dhsimmonds

The 40 MP mode could make for a very nice killer small product / studio shooting camera. This doesn't benefit the photography I do but it's nice to have.
What I *really want* is an electronic shutter option.
- Ricardo
If you are already using an E-M1 or E-M5 for studio strobe work, then you should be fine with the 40MP version. Personally, I struggle with my E-M1 with studio strobes in the admittedly brief amount of experience with it in the studio.

When I need to use manual settings with F8 and ISO 200 at 1/200 to suit my local studio, (set up for a Nikon with optical VF!) the EVF on my E-M1goes very dark. I have just discovered that the EVF can be set to allow live view by menu-cogwheel, displ. set to live view boost1

Last edited:

raist3d

8 is the rumored maximum. If I am looking for low noise and better DR in a 16MP cam, I can live with fewer frames.

Let us wait what comes out instead attempting a speculative debate about vaporware.
I don't think we need to wait to make some commonsense discussion. I mean, we are after all discussing a rumor, no? You are already as suing this would help noise and DR. Noise I can see, not sure about DR.

Less than 8 frames you still have the same problem- how you deal with subject movement. Even if that's a limitation, I still think the camera would make for a very small kit for a very nice studio/product photography.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think that the 40MP process in the upcoming EM5 is for sure a great thing.

But - as there is the need for taking 8 frames there is some longer time involved than for taking only 1 frame. So even if this happens within the exposure interval with (fast) moving subjects the effect of higher resolution could be cancelled by motion unsharpness .... but, but, but we will see.

Definitely for "static" subjects it is a big plus now for m43, so anyway a welcome new feature :)

mmbma

I think that the 40MP process in the upcoming EM5 is for sure a great thing.

But - as there is the need for taking 8 frames there is some longer time involved than for taking only 1 frame. So even if this happens within the exposure interval with (fast) moving subjects the effect of higher resolution could be cancelled by motion unsharpness .... but, but, but we will see.

Definitely for "static" subjects it is a big plus now for m43, so anyway a welcome new feature :)
not neccesarily static. i mean, the 5 axi sensor stablization system must fuctions on a millisecond basis. This rumored 40mp capability is based on the same sensor shift technology, so it would take only a small fraction of a second to complete 8 shots in good light, no?

raist3d

Ricardo, You convinced me with your logic and coherence. :D
I am sure :) But my new Romulan Intelligence sources tell me it's for still only. Makes sense, just like the Hassy.

Of course, when they announce it, we'll see :)

- Ricardo

raist3d

not neccesarily static. i mean, the 5 axi sensor stablization system must fuctions on a millisecond basis. This rumored 40mp capability is based on the same sensor shift technology, so it would take only a small fraction of a second to complete 8 shots in good light, no?
Yes but you have one big problem with this logic- the sensor needs to reset. You are right- it would take a fraction of a second but that fraction isn't that small to freeze subjects. You need like 1/60+ at least to freeze a lot of subjects. Walking people on the streets we are talking about 1/80-125 at least for a decent freeze.

And of course, you would most likely lose IBIS though I think that's an easy tradeoff to make for 40MP in those situations you want the detail. But it's the shutter here the problem.

They would need a fast refresh electronic shutter for this. Maybe with some "skew." Anyhow, I heard it's for stills. I am sure there are "creative ways" to shoot for movement to be found though.

- Ricardo

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Not lame, but rather a non sequitur I'd have thought.
It is quite relevant to me and concerns your favorite brand. ;)

To be on a certain invisible waiting list on an unannounced camera from a luxury camera manufacturer cost me quite. :p:D