The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Soon 40 mpixel µ43 images ?

V

Vivek

Not just the pixel count but one could anticipate increased DR and less noise. It would also make use of the shake mechanism to a higher level.:thumbs:

increased DR and less noise

Which would matter to me. I already have enough pixels to make them invisible at any size paper I can afford to print on.

But less noise at higher ISO would really count.

Tony

Knorp

Not particular keen on a pixel count that high, but I'd be happy with improved DR and above all less noise ... :salute:
What's wrong with say a 12 mpixel sensor and shifting that to 30 mpixel ?
Anyway, I suppose they know what they're doing ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

mediumcool

The real question for me is how Olympus manages to reconcile the different and simultaneous modes of the voice coil sensor shift system.

In one shot, how well will this system compensate for shake, whilst at the same time doing its pixel-shifting magic*?

Or does the camera need to be bolted down to perform resolution enhancement? I’d be happy enough with that.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
* Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

k-hawinkler

Bart,

Thanks. They say it's the follow on to the E-M5.
Why not to the E-M1 - unless that could be achieved with a firmware update.
We'll see if it materializes and how it performs.

At the moment I am more interested in the A7R II, or whatever they will call it.

Knorp

Bart,

Thanks. They say it's the follow on to the E-M5.
Why not to the E-M1 - unless that could be achieved with a firmware update.
We'll see if it materializes and how it performs.

At the moment I am more interested in the A7R II, or whatever they will call it.
  1. we have to see if the rumour is true
  2. how well it performs for EM-5 mkII
  3. if it is suitable/desirable for the EM-1 mkII

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I pretty much believe that this rumor is true. While it is exciting to be able to shoot something like 40MP with a m43 camera I would rather have preferred to get a newer sensor with say 20-22MP and same high ISO and DR capabilities as current EM1. Plus improved PDAF with cross sensor types.

Just getting 40MP with same old sensor does not sound too exciting .... well I know I am impatient.

Peter

k-hawinkler

Also the position of the on-off switch is as E-M1. Really stupid idea.
However, I hope they keep the other user interface features of the E-M1.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well the position of the on-off switch is obviously matter of taste as I like it over most of all the other different positions methods not only from Olympus :)

Knorp

G1 alike! My favorite! :)

I am already sold based solely on that!
Admittedly, I was quite fond of the G1's swivel panel, but also found it rather delicate and fragile and always feared it would break off any moment.
Too me the E-M1 solution seems more robust although less flexible.

Like with the new Sony A7 II-series I'm holding off for now and biding my time to see what more is to come in the next 1 or 2 months or so.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Hi there K-H,

I found the E-M1's on/off switch position also a little quirky at first, but got used to it and basically prefer it over the odd placement of the original E-M5 switch.
That really was a stupid idea ! What were they thinking ... :loco:

All the very best.