The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast prime lens for the G1?

andrewteee

I read a rumor that apparently started on the GetDPI forums that the Panasonic 20/1.7 may be delayed until fall 2009, which puts a damper on my plans to buy it as a fast prime for my G1. I'm craving such a thing. I hope said rumor is untrue, but indeed new lenses for the G1 are slow in coming. I'm sure we'll know more by March.

If one were to buy a fast prime for the G1 today, which lens (and adapter) would you recommend that would work well with the G1, have good IQ, not cost a fortune and be a worthwhile long-term keeper lens? Also, easy to find for sale. Something wide to normal.

Then my G1 kit would be complete for the foreseeable future.

Suggestions appreciated!

mawz

If I had to hazard a guess, assuming reasonably available and well supported adaptors, my suggestions would be the OM 24/2 (Oly OM-4/3rds adaptor, Panny DMW-MA1 stacked) or the one of the Voiglander fast 28's (the 28/2 or 28/1.9) on the appropriate M adaptor of choice.

There's really no options outside of C or Arriflex lenses for faster than f2.8, 25mm or wider and both reasonably sized and priced (If size isn't an issue, the Leica 25mm Summilux-D s a good option and the Sigma 24/1.8 and 20/1.8 become options as do the various non-OM 24/2's. If price isn't an issue the OM 21/2, and the Summilux-M 24 and 21's become options. If neither size nor price are issues the FD 24L is an option).

J

jeff stevens

Or get the Pana/Leica 25mm F1.4. While not tiny, probably the best overall standard lens and since they are in short supply, would probably be pretty easy to sell for a decent price after the 20mm f1.7 comes out.

K

kiloran

Unless you want to pay a fortune or use C-mount fast = f/2.

Perhaps the simplest/cheapest option is the Oly 25mm pancake but thats only f/2.8.

If money was no object then you're looking at the new Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1,4 when it arrives but that's going to be eye-wateringly expensive. If you can afford the investment I doubt you'll ever lose money on it though - its always going to trade in Noctilux territory.

V

Vivek

Plenty of choices! Why bother what Panasonic will or will not do?

I think they are too busy plotting a 20X zoom and video features.:D

The next m4/3rds cam, I am going to wait until the usual 20-30% drop in price before I will even consider one. Anyone buying a new camera when it debuts is a sucker.:(

Jonas

I have the CV 35/1.2 Nokton. It's not a fast normal but a fast short tele. I bought it expecting Panny to release their 20mm during the spring.

Now we have this unconfirmed rumor (Brian?!) and I'm not sure what to do with it really. For the moment I think I'll just order the Panasonic 25/1.4 and use it for stop gap. It's not the best lens in the world but it is nice enough and I like the idea about using the aperture ring on the lens. That will let me use the G1 front wheel for exposure compensation only when in "A" mode. The same as with alternative lenses.

The 25/1.4 should be possible to sell with just a decent loss.

(...)
The next m4/3rds cam, I am going to wait until the usual 20-30% drop in price before I will even consider one. Anyone buying a new camera when it debuts is a sucker.:(
You can put me up on the list of suckers then.
What is 20-30% price drop compared to three months of great fun?

Thank you for all interesting posts about the nice alternatives you have!

V

Vivek

What is 20-30% price drop compared to three months of great fun?

It wasn't much fun in terms of cash (not only the debut price of the G1 kit but what followed thereafter). :eek:

Too much fun!

So much fun that I have put a moratorium on the next m4/3rds body purchase of mine.:ROTFL:

andrewteee

Thanks for all of the replies! For this lens, anywhere between 28mm and 50mm (35mm equiv) is fine. By fast, I would look for f2 or wider.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

You may want to follow some of the posts in this forum. There are many choices. It is yours to choose from and decide.

back alley

i will be trying my zm lenses this weekend and am looking forward to the 25/2.8.
the g1 does very well at 800 and under so 2.8 is plenty fast for me.

andrewteee

Vivek, I read them daily. This is a great place. But it seems like a lot of people already have lenses and use them with the G1. I'm coming from the angle of someone who does not have such lenses yet.

V

Vivek

Here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5045

is an option. The c-mount adapter ($25 plus shipping) plus a c-mount lens.

You could consider what phobus has done or find another lens in c-mount.

You are correct when you say that a lot of people already have the lenses (me in particular, that has been the case).

However, there are still many (affordable, I might add) options for a fast 25mm lens.

Jonas

So much fun that I have put a moratorium on the next m4/3rds body purchase of mine.:ROTFL:
Yeah, why not? I guess there will be many moons until we see something that betas the G1. Video stuff is not for me, small cameras with no viewfinder is not for me. A G2 is probably not here until they got more lenses and other stuff making a system of it all to the market.

Terry

I bought the 25mm Summilux and like it so far. It is a little bigger than I would like but really not an issue at all.

Jonas, - not sure what your "so, so" experience is with this lens. I haven't really heard anything bad about it. Quite the contrary.

Jonas

Jonas, - not sure what your "so, so" experience is with this lens. I haven't really heard anything bad about it. Quite the contrary.
When buying a normal for €800 I expect it to be better than any other normal lens I have used... But it isn't. As I dislike brand worshipping I have been involved in several discussions over this lens. There is a current discussion starting here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=30836080

Some misunderstands me and think I think the Panasonic 25/1.4 is a bad lens. It is not. I just wished it sharpened up at borders and corners when stopped down, showed a little less CA and didn't flare like a wide angle lens when pointed into a strong source of light.

I have ordered it and will be happy to use it while waiting for the 20/1.7.

scho

When buying a normal for €800 I expect it to be better than any other normal lens I have used... But it isn't. As I dislike brand worshipping I have been involved in several discussions over this lens. There is a current discussion starting here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=30836080

Some misunderstands me and think I think the Panasonic 25/1.4 is a bad lens. It is not. I just wished it sharpened up at borders and corners when stopped down, showed a little less CA and didn't flare like a wide angle lens when pointed into a strong source of light.

I have ordered it and will be happy to use it while waiting for the 20/1.7.
Jonas,

When I want sharp from corner to corner and border to border then I use one of my ZM lenses. There is no one lens that does it all perfectly in my arsenal.

Regards,
Carl

Terry

Well Jonas,
My other two lenses about that focal length are the 28 summincron and 21 elmarit which are both more than 4x the price so I guess I've gotten immune to lens pricing.

Jonas

Jonas,

When I want sharp from corner to corner and border to border then I use one of my ZM lenses. There is no one lens that does it all perfectly in my arsenal.

Regards,
Carl
And isn't that a pity? At least when out traveling. Now I don't think any lens can "do it all perfectly" - but I would like a normal lens at €800 to be sharp over the frame when stopped down. Either I'm asking too much or my copy was bad (but there was no other problem with the lens and the problem was symmetrical).

Well Jonas,
My other two lenses about that focal length are the 28 summincron and 21 elmarit which are both more than 4x the price so I guess I've gotten immune to lens pricing.
Ouch. I have owned the Leica Summilux-R 50/1.4 E60 and the 90Cron AA (among others). They are expensive lenses but I have to say they didn't make me immune.

(The 50Lux was better than my other 50mm lenses btw.)

Cheers, /Jonas

Godfrey

Approximately 90% of my photography for the past year and some has been done with the Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH and Zuiko Digital 25mm f/2.8. I've been using them on the G1 this past month+ and am very happy with their performance.

Panasonic G1 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 100 @ f/2.5 @ 1/40 sec

I have also used the Olympus ZD 35/3.5 Macro, Nikkor 20/3.5AI, Pentax M50/1.4 (with and without the EC14 teleconverter) and been quite happy with their performance. I want/need a faster lens in the 35-40mm focal length range: I'm currently looking at the CV Nokton 40/1.4 or Leica Summicron-C 40/2 to be used with a mount adapter.

Godfrey