The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7mm vs 9mm

Terry

So, I'm in NY this weekend and was a block from B&H. The magnet pulled me in. I decided the have a look at the Oly 9-18 lens. Definitely planning to wait and hear what is going on with the Panny lens but a hands on trial of the alternative was worth time time. To get a feel for the difference between 7 (14mm) and 9 (18mm), I put the Oly 7-14?? on the camera as well. It is a bit hard to tell in the store but to me compositionally for my shooting I don't know that the difference at the wide angle will make much difference. I do like the ability to use filters so that will make a difference if the Panny can't.

Any thoughts on the focal lengths at the wide angle?

M

marknorton

At 100m, the 9mm lens will see 200m wide on mFT, the 7mm 260m, approximately. It's quite alot wider and I know I appreciate the extra coverage when I use a 14-24 compared to a 17-35 on a Nikon. The choice comes down to size, weight, cost.

At least there's a 2:1 zoom ratio where the Leica WATE has a puny 1.3:1, makes you wonder why they bothered.

Terry

Thanks,
That is useful info that is somewhat hard to see in a store. The widest I've ever shot (other than a fisheye) was the 12MM on an M8 so 16mm. I love that lens on my M8.

N

nei1

Terry,when you use such wide ang,e lenses on the M8 hoow do you compose youre shots?Are there slide on viewfinders for these lenses?Other than the massive WATE finder that is.

Terry ignore this,Ive just seen the 21,24,28 variable finder,thanks,Neil.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi Terry,

this is sort of a difficult call - we know that the Lumix 7-14 will be here in the spring (April?)... so if you will only want one wide angle solution for the G1 then I would definitely wait.

However, the ZD 9-18 is a known quantity - we know that it is exceptionally sharp, takes filters, balances nicely on the G1 and supports CDAF. It's one of the two lenses I highly recommend for the G1 (the other being the ZD 50mm f2).

So, I guess that what I'm saying is, the ZD 9-18 is a safe purchase, in that you get all of the above at a reasonable price... but I think that you'll find yourself adding the Lumix 7-14 when it arrives (I certainly intend to).

I don't think the Lumix 7-14 will take filters, and we don't know the price/quality balance - but I guarantee the extra 2mm will makes a big difference to your compositions.

Kind Regards

Brian

M

marknorton

That zooming finder is hardly Leica's greatest achievement but it does cover the equivalent focal lengths provided by the WATE; the huge "universal" finder mimics the M rangefinder view and there are some new but rather expensive dedicated finders for 21 and 24mm, maybe 18mm too, which hints at future lens introductions.

Terry

Terry,when you use such wide ang,e lenses on the M8 hoow do you compose youre shots?Are there slide on viewfinders for these lenses?Other than the massive WATE finder that is.

Actually different answer. I owned the 15mm and had a 21 finder. When I sold the 15 the person was happy to get the 21 finder and said I could keep the 15. So, the 15 finder is close enough on when using the 12. Honestly though, I just judged it by eye a lot of the time and then looked at the LCD after the fact.

Terry

Hi Terry,

this is sort of a difficult call - we know that the Lumix 7-14 will be here in the spring (April?)... so if you will only want one wide angle solution for the G1 then I would definitely wait.

However, the ZD 9-18 is a known quantity - we know that it is exceptionally sharp, takes filters, balances nicely on the G1 and supports CDAF. It's one of the two lenses I highly recommend for the G1 (the other being the ZD 50mm f2).

So, I guess that what I'm saying is, the ZD 9-18 is a safe purchase, in that you get all of the above at a reasonable price... but I think that you'll find yourself adding the Lumix 7-14 when it arrives (I certainly intend to).

I don't think the Lumix 7-14 will take filters, and we don't know the price/quality balance - but I guarantee the extra 2mm will makes a big difference to your compositions.

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian, as I said, I am definitely waiting for the Panny lens. I was just trying to get a feel for 14mm vs 18mm

Brian Mosley

Well, the answer is yes - there's a significant difference between 7mm and 9mm (14 and 18mm EFL). No question.

Kind Regards

Brian

Diane B

I shoot with a 12-24 on the 5D--plus other WA lens--and sometimes there is a huge difference between 12 and maybe 12 or 18. I hadn't thought I would be interested in the 7-14 (just thought I would do wide with the 5D), but today I took the G1 with both Panny lenses and the 5D with more or less comparable FL lenses (minus the 200-400mm--I only have a 70-200mm for the 5D) to our mts. for some winter mountain landscapes. I've sat and looked at them until I'm weary--and yes, there is def. some difference at 100%--but I don't view at 100%. I'm going to print both--but think I've convinced myself that I can be happy with the G1 for most all shooting. So--that means I'll need a wide, some fasts to feel as though I'm covered. I'll still rely on the 5D and some of my specialty lenses for certain things (and some landscapes), but I just am so much more happy with the G1 than I expected to be---now, if there's a reasonably affordable lens lineup to suit.

Diane

Brian Mosley

Hi Diane,

a lot of 4/3rds users came to the same conclusion - it's fantastic to see the G1 really pressing the advantage.

Kind Regards

Brian

m3photo

Re: Bye-bye 5D

--but think I've convinced myself that I can be happy with the G1 for most all shooting (../..) but I just am so much more happy with the G1 than I expected to be---
Diane,
I remember writing a while back on the DPreview Forum to you that I'd gone the whole hog (sic) and sold my 5D and 3 lenses on the strength of what people were saying about this little gem and have been following the slow-but-sure unravelling of your enthusiasm in a similar direction. I've also done the corresponding pixel-peeping and there's not much in it, is there? The thing is - and this goes out to all those who look out of the window and decide not to lug their gear out that day - the old saying "the best camera is the one you have with you" is what this G1 is all about.

Brian Mosley

Dead right m3photo, that's exactly why I initially converted to the Olympus E-400, which is about the same size as the G1, but simpler (no articulated lcd, no EVF, full 4/3rds compatibility)... I continued along the 4/3rds path, but the EVF makes my legacy lenses so much more easy to use that the G1 was a worthy addition.

Now I like the articulated screen and evf in such a compact package, that I'm going to maintain m4/3rds as part of my system.

Cheers

Brian