The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro with the G1 - Image Thread

V

Vivek

Peter, None overwhelm me. The Switar appears lack any "bite".

Why is this a "Macro" lens (I know they call it Macro Switar). How high a magnification can you get using this lens?

BTW, For those who do not know, Peter specializes in Orchids. He is an expert (and I have seen better images from him).

Very nice macros.
Thanks Howard,

A few year ago, I had bought an Alpa-Reflex to Leica M adapter, supposed to allow the 50mm Kern Macro Switar to be coupled to the M rangefinder. It never worked.

The G1 is the first digital camera that accepts this wonderful lens; the focusing is easy and precise.

The G1 was a worthy acquisition if only for nothing else than to use my Alpa glass that had been sleeping for years (Angenieux, Kern, Kinoptik, Schneider).

More on my Alpa web site: www.alpareflex.com

Cheers
Peter

Vivek, thank you for your remarks.

Peter, None overwhelm me. The Switar appears lack any "bite".
I guess we do not have the same criteria in judging a lens. Like for photographing food, color fidelity is my prime requirement, the picture must look exactly like the flower that stands next to the screen. Aesthetic considerations come second. Up to now, I had found only a single digital camera that matched my requirements, the DMR with either the 60mm, the 100mm APO or the 180/2.3 Angenieux. I have tried various Canon DSLRs and currently also own D700 and D200 Nikons but none has the quality of color rendition I require. The G1 is the first non-Leica.

Why is this a "Macro" lens (I know they call it Macro Switar). How high a magnification can you get using this lens?
From infinity to 1/3 (on 24x36)

BTW, For those who do not know, Peter specializes in Orchids. He is an expert (and I have seen better images from him).
Here some of my web sites for those who might be interested:

www.angraecum.org
www.cuba-orchids.com
www.orchids.mu
www.alpareflex.com
www.kilfitt.org

monza

Nice pair of Phalaenopsis, Peter and Cindy. :)

I'm assuming this thread is not strictly limited to Orchid macros. ;)

Here is my first test photo using a G1 with Olympus Pen F E-Zuiko 38/3.5 Macro. Felis Catus, 0.6s @ f/3.5, ISO 100.

Click to zoom.

Knorp

I'm not sure if I posted this one before.

| G1 | Novoflex mFT/LEM | Visoflex3 | Bellows2 | Tele-Elmar 1:4.0/135mm |

And yes it's one of Luigi's soft releases :eek:

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nice macros everyone. I'm glad this thread came back to the top.

Monza, I love your example of Felis Catus. Nice sharp green eyes and cute little orange nose.:ROTFL:

Mazor, I did a mid-tone contrast enhancement. Google it and you will get a few ideas. It really helps to make an image pop. Then I just did a high-pass sharpen. I added an edge darken, which draws the eye to the subject.
The Oly 50 f/2 is a killer-sharp lens to start with.:thumbup: I had it stopped down some, too.

Rafael, Please join in. We are glad to have you here.

Cindy, Monza, Marzor, Rafael, Bart, I love your orchids, cats, screws. Hopefully soon more macros. Not orchid season here, right now only phals blooming. Looking for more from all G1ers

monza

Rafael, no, that was on a tripod. I am not steady enough for half second exposures! Cindy, I'm very pleased with the quality of the Zuiko macro especially for a quick wide-open test with inadequate kitchen lighting. :)

Diane B

May I add an orchid? I hadn't considered this a macro--but a closeup--and its with the 45-200 lens. Its handheld in the orchid house of Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. ISO 125, f/4.7 1/320s I used the MF assist to place the focus where I wanted. Using the small 45-200 and handholding, I could move around easily to get the best placement of the sunlight and background---would have been a lot harder with my 5D, macro lens or perhaps 70-200.

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
May I add an orchid? I hadn't considered this a macro--but a closeup--and its with the 45-200 lens. Its handheld in the orchid house of Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. ISO 125, f/4.7 1/320s I used the MF assist to place the focus where I wanted. Using the small 45-200 and handholding, I could move around easily to get the best placement of the sunlight and background---would have been a lot harder with my 5D, macro lens or perhaps 70-200.

Diane
Diane, This is a beautiful shot. Very nice.