The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 newbie adapter question

Shac

I’m a newbie at this adapter game for the G1 and would appreciate some help. I’ve looked at the adapter list posted here and based on that it seems like I can buy 1) a dedicated adapters for each different make of lens, or 2) one Panasonic DMW-MA1 and with separate adapters for each lens type.

Is the main difference price (i.e. the second route is cheaper I estimate) or are there functional differences?

Thank you in advance for any help.
David

Godfrey

Fewer adapters does mean less fuss in the field when changing lenses, less chances to make errors. It can also mean better alignment and more strength in the lens assembly.

The DMW-MA1 is an essential if you have Olympus or Panasonic/Leica FourThirds SLR lenses you want to work with on the G1. The advantage if you get one, even if you don't have any of those lenses, is that there are a lot of inexpensive mount adapters for FourThirds SLR mount already available.

Ideally, a dedicated single adapter for each lens you want to use that goes directly on the body is the best kit, but that gets expensive and only a few direct adapters like that are available as yet.

Godfrey

Jonas

(...)
Is the main difference price (i.e. the second route is cheaper I estimate) or are there functional differences?
Hi David,

You have to choose adapter based on what lens you want to use. Sounds easy, no? The two main groups of lenses you can choose between are the Olympus/Sigma/Panasonic lenses made for 4/3 system cameras (like the Olympus E series or the Panasonic L1/L10) and the rest of the lenses made for whatever else.

If you want to use 4/3 system lenses you should obviously by the panasonic 4/3 --> m4/3 adapter to maintain automatic functions.

If you want to use any other lens that can be used with the 473 cameras if mounted with an adapter you can choose the route you mentioned and use the Panasonic adapter plus an XXX - 4/3 adapter - or just buy one adapter for the lenses you find in the list. There will be no difference in functionality as everything will be manual (focusing and aperture control and light metering) in any case.

So, it is about economy (how many expensive/cheap adapters are interested in buying?) and ergonomics.

I do a combo of all this. Some lenses I know I'll use often get their own dedicated adapter, some lenses I know will see occasionally use only will be used with a cheapo "eBay" adapter in combination with the Panasonic adapter. Some lenses (rangefinder type) cannot be mounted with the Panasonic adapter at all as they need to sit close to the sensor.

hth somewhat, /Jonas

EDIT: I see I repeat some already communicated by Godfrey but leave it all here anyway.

Last edited:

Shac

Jonas - thank you as well. Between yours and Godfrey's answers I think I understand.
Now I need my G1 to arrive - it will be on its way soon.:D
David

monza

OK, that narrows it down. Your only choice for Leica (M I presume) is any of the direct M adapters, which don't require the Panasonic 4/3.

Your options with Nikon are a direct adapter from Novoflex (shipping this month) or the Panasonic adapter with a Nikon to 4/3 adapter. Your choice depends on whether you want to use Nikon lenses now, or can wait a bit for the Novoflex Nikon. I have the Panasonic adapter and the Nikon Fotodiox adapter and they work well together.

Last edited:

Shac

Monza - thanks for this. Yes Leica M. I gather the Kit lens is pretty good - so I can wait. Or I'll just go the route you mention with the Panasonic and either the Fotodiox or buyitjnow adapter.
Cheers
David

FWIW, my "solution" (mainly governed by what was in stock when starting) was to first get the Novoflex Leica M-to-MFT adapter (the slightly short one; doesn´t really bother me...). I already had a set of LTM-to_Leica M adapters, and also ordered a Nikon F-to-Leica M and a Leica R-to-Leica M one (be careful with the last one; Novoflex thas 2 different ones, and only one will give correct focus for this purpose).

Now, I can mount everything I´m interested in using at present. I see no problems with stability when stacking adapters, and I never go out with a whole bag of mixed lenses, so the hassle of rearranging adapters is done before I leave home. YMMV....;)

monza

Yet Another Adapter Solution. YAAS. ;) Although I'd recommend swapping your MFT/LEM for the properly sized one, in order to get your close focus back and have accurate lens distance scales.

Shac

Fascinating stuff. I just ordered the M-G1 adapter from Shanghai - I see on another GetDPI thread that customers seem to be happy with the quality.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Novoflex thas 2 different ones, and only one will give correct focus for this purpose).
I have a NOVOFLEX ADAPTER and I use KONICA HEXAR lenses with that adapter .
First of all , I found , that focusing to infinity is not correct .
Objects at infinity seem to be in focus at 10-20 meters .
Using wide angle lenses , is an absolute horror . Objects at a distance of about 5 meters , show 1,0 meter at the distance scale .

Reading through quite some threads in this forum , I found , that it looks to be an issue with the NOVOFLEX adapter .

Now , learning , that there are two different NOVOFLEX adapters , how can I find out , if mine is the good one ? ? ?

Jürgen

monza

Jürgen, from your description, perhaps you should contact Novoflex and exchange for the later adapter...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jürgen, from your description, perhaps you should contact Novoflex and exchange for the later adapter...
Can anyone show an image of the new NOVOFLEX adapter and give the thickness of the adapter ?
Mine is 8.25mm and I am absolutely unable to focus properly with my HEXANON 2,8/28 mm lens , especially when the light conditions are bad .

I saw an image of the new VOIGTLÄNDER VM ADAPTER . I think , it looks very good .
Is that adapter already on the market ? ? ? and does anyone already have a price ? ? ?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Does anyone have experience with the HEXANON 2,8/28 mm lens on the new NOVOFLEX adapter ? ? ?
In an other thread , I read , that the thickness now is 8,6 mm . Does that adapter work properly ? ? ?
Or should I wait for the new VOIGTLÄNDER VM ADAPTER ? ? ?
I had also extreme focusing trouble with the new VOIGTLÄNDER COLOR SKOPAR 4/21 mm pancake lens .

Jürgen

monza

I measured my 2nd version Novoflex at 8.58mm, it focuses properly. Novoflex did the exchange without any question. The later version also allows lenses to be removed while the adapter remains on the camera.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Monza

That is a good answer for me .
As NOVOFLEX is only about 65km away from my place , I will visit them on Tueasday morning and then come back with a result.
Jürgen

Now , learning , that there are two different NOVOFLEX adapters , how can I find out , if mine is the good one ? ? ?
What I was referring to is the adapters from R to M mounts, i.e. with a female Leica R mount in front and a male Leica M one at the rear. It turned out there were two of them in the Novoflex catalog. One is quite thin (presumably for mounting R lenses on a Visoflex or bellows; should be 7 mm long), and the other one has the correct length to compensate for the difference in flange distance between the two mounts, that is 19 mm.

Needless to say, I got the wrong one at first :cussing:, and had to send it back for replacement (it was 19 - 7 = 12 mm too short...) The 19 mm one is the one you´ll need here, and it is called LEM/LER in Novoflexese. I don´t remember what the other one was called.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
NOVOFLEX replaced my first version adapter with no complains at all .
The second version adapter's thickness is 8.60mm . That is correct for the flange focal length (27.8mm) of LEICA , CZ M-Mount and also VOIGTLÄNDER lenses .
The KONICA HEXAR lenses have a slightly different flange focal length which is 28.00mm .
I was successful to create a "black paper washer" with the thickness of 0.15mm and fitted that to the new version adapter .
Now focussing with all my KONICA HEXAR lenses is absoutely perfect .
For my VOIGTLÄNDER lenses I will aquire the new VM ADAPTER . That makes it easy to differentiate , for which lenses the adapter is to be used .