The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D E-M5 Mark II Pre-Order

k-hawinkler

:watch:
They all look good. Was that "lucky" shot a 100% crop detail? What happened to the wooden ladders they used to have leaning against the cliff to give tourists access to the 2nd story dwellings?

Thanks Carl. No, that's the entire image. But here is the high resolution version:
http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-03...orrections_Define_Sharpen_75%AutoContrast.jpg
I would say the image is pretty much in focus and sharp, not much of any motion blur that I can detect.

Of course, the wooden ladders are still all there! :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

Keep us posted how it helps aiming !

Kind regards.
Thanks Bart. Will do.
I will try it on the turkey vultures when they return to their roost in the evening.
As it's getting already dark then. not only is aiming a challenge but also AF with my OM-D cameras.
Under those circumstances I never could get AF-C really to focus when the birds fly by pretty fast.
However, AF-S seems to work quite well.
So, it will be interesting to see what improvements. if any, the EE-1 will bring. ;)

k-hawinkler

My first quick feedback for the Olympus Dot Sight EE-1 on E-M1 + M.40-150mm F2.8 + MC-14. The image below was shot with these devices.

Well, the brightness of the illuminated red sighting circle can be adjusted and obviously needs a battery stuck in the right way. :eek:
Then there are two adjustment wheels - left-right and up-down - so that what one points the red sighting circle at appears in the center of the image. :cool:

To me this sighting device is a real help by being able to point the camera in the right direction.
The challenge is with the pretty slow focussing of the OM-D cameras.
Af-C is hopeless for my scenarios. AF-S focuses very slowly and then loses the focus in continuous shooting.
I got the shot above by being able to point the EE-1 at the vulture for a few seconds before the camera was able to focus and take shots.

I now have the EE-1 on my Nikon D800E + AF-S 80-400/4.5-5.6 VR lens. This system focuses really fast.
So, as long as the subjects are large enough so that the EE-1 actually points the focus point at the intended subject then the right subjects are in focus.
For tiny hummingbirds that seems to be a bit of a challenge. :D
I am hopeful that for larger birds this won't be a problem. ;)

So, I give the EE-1: :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

Does setting the AF target circle to its smallest size make S-AF work better or faster for birds against the sky in the M5.2?

scott

Thanks Scott.

I assume you are referring to the square or rectangular focus area in the viewfinder and not the circular sight in the EE-1 that is always the same size but can appear stronger or weaker.

I have played with the E-M5MarkII focus area just a little bit. My impression is that the smaller area is helpful to put the focus on a small subject and not the background.
With a bird in the sky there is no background really. So, with a larger focus area one has a better change of getting the camera to focus on something, like a flying bird.

My 2 cents. Please, let me know what your experience is. TIA.