The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Olympus EM5 Mark ii 40mp only

scho

First try with the E-M5ii and 75mm f/1.8. Comparison of HR OOC jpeg and raw processed through CS6 HR plugin and exported as 40 MP jpeg. Both look good. Camera does some slight cropping when processing the jpeg. Control or right click image to download full size original.

Raw plugin

OOC jpeg

Last edited:

scho

A HR kitchen still life shot with E-M5II+75mm f/1.8. Processed raw in Irident Developer using Jono's LR/Irident workflow :thumbs: and exported a 40 MP jpeg to Flickr. Control click image to download full size 40 MP original.

Arne Hvaring

Impressive results Carl, the details in the onion-skin are very well rendered. I do notice some odd pattern in the background, is this related to the high resolution processing or natural?

Knorp

Impressive file, Carl. Albeit a bit noisy - I'd say typical for this sensor.
I've seen this too in the E-M5 and E-M1 files.

Or is there another explanation ?

Kind regards.

scho

Impressive results Carl, the details in the onion-skin are very well rendered. I do notice some odd pattern in the background, is this related to the high resolution processing or natural?
Impressive file, Carl. Albeit a bit noisy - I'd say typical for this sensor.
I've seen this too in the E-M5 and E-M1 files.

Or is there another explanation ?

Kind regards.
Not sure but I think that some of the background noise was from the OOF grain pattern in the countertop material and/or result of under exposure. ISO was only 500 and I've seen much cleaner results at 1600 in other shots.

scho

Looking for moire in some of these HR images, but so far haven't found any. I thought for sure that the fabric in these cloth flowers would produce moire, but none. E-M5II+75mm f/1.8 @ f/8 40 MP image from Irident.

scho

Two detail shots of the old park boathouse taken with the E-M5II and 12-40. Batch processed through the Olympus HR raw plugin in Photoshop, exported 64 MP tifs to LR, and exported 40 MP jpegs to Flickr.

A beautiful old button ball tree (Sycamore) against a deep blue sky. Nice thaw in progress and hope it continues.

mazor

Impressive Scho. Would be nice to see a show down between the new high tech E-M5ii high resolution vs the Nokia 808 with the boat house shot as the scene of choice :), that is if you still have your 808 ;)

scho

Impressive Scho. Would be nice to see a show down between the new high tech E-M5ii high resolution vs the Nokia 808 with the boat house shot as the scene of choice :), that is if you still have your 808 ;)
Thanks Mazor. Yes, I still have the 808 and I could also include the Sony A7r.

mazor

nice look forward to a nice comparison. A7r will definitely be a contender, but will be interesting to see well all 3 handles moire issues at such high resolutions.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Carl. Very interesting.
Could you also please show 100% detail crops of vertical or horizontal straight edges? TIA.

scott kirkpatrick

Looking at the scho's 40 MPx versions downloaded from Flickr at actual size, these look a little softer than the fence-wire shot that K-Hawinkler showed earlier. Were these three sharpened after rendering as 40 MPx?

BTW, the lack of any color fringing or other artifacts in the tree against sky shot is pretty awesome. What lens was used?

scott

mazor

mmbma, thanks for confirming the Panny 100-300 is still good up to 40Mp :). I absolutely love that lens for travel. Do you have the tripod foot mod for yours?

scho

Looking at the scho's 40 MPx versions downloaded from Flickr at actual size, these look a little softer than the fence-wire shot that K-Hawinkler showed earlier. Were these three sharpened after rendering as 40 MPx?

BTW, the lack of any color fringing or other artifacts in the tree against sky shot is pretty awesome. What lens was used?

scott
Scott,

The 40 mp images were not sharpened. The 64 mp images that these were derived from were given a little adaptive sharpening in NIK but no other processing. The lens used for all of these shots was the 12-40 f/2.8 Pro at f/8.

mazor

hmm, is it advisable to use the 12-40 pro at f8.0? From what I heard on other forums, the 12-40 pro suffers from diffraction easily, and optimum sharpness is around f4.0 to f5.6 over the whole frame.

Maybe this "softness" Scott has brought up is due to diffraction, and not to do with the resolving power of the 12-40 pro.

k-hawinkler

hmm, is it advisable to use the 12-40 pro at f8.0? From what I heard on other forums, the 12-40 pro suffers from diffraction easily, and optimum sharpness is around f4.0 to f5.6 over the whole frame.

Maybe this "softness" Scott has brought up is due to diffraction, and not to do with the resolving power of the 12-40 pro.
Indeed, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 12-40 mm f/2.8 ED PRO review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com, quote:

Except when more DOF is necessary I shoot at f/4 for m43, after all that corresponds to f/8 for FF.

scho

Indeed, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 12-40 mm f/2.8 ED PRO review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com, quote:

Except when more DOF is necessary I shoot at f/4 for m43, after all that corresponds to f/8 for FF.
Mazor and K-H. Thanks for pointing this out.
I haven't shot m43 in awhile and forgot about diffraction issues. When I go back to do some camera comparison shots I'll also do some comparative aperture tests.

mmbma

mmbma, thanks for confirming the Panny 100-300 is still good up to 40Mp :). I absolutely love that lens for travel. Do you have the tripod foot mod for yours?
I don't have the tripod collar. Since the lens is light the balance is not bad. The trick if you are shooting at 300mm is to let the lens "settle" for a few seconds, then use a remote or delay shutter. even the slight press of the shutter will blur the image at 40mp