The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Olympus EM5 Mark ii 40mp only

scho

A few HR shots with the E-M5II and 12-40 lens. A mild but windy afternoon down at the marina, but looking at the trees in the marina landscape shots I don't see any serious artifacting from branches swaying in the wind. Images below link to HR full size jpegs (64 MP minus slight cropping in some). Processing consisted of ORF import into Photoshop via the Olympus HR plugin, tif file export to LR, NIK pre-sharpen (adaptive 50%), and jpeg export to Flickr. No other processing.

scho

I re-processed two of the boathouse images in my previous post. These were derived from HR ORF files imported into Photoshop via the Olympus HR plugin, exported tifs to LR, and then applied NIK raw pre-sharpening with 70% adaptive sharpening. No other processing. Might be a bit too much for screen, but perfect for prints on matte paper.

scho

I tried stitching 3 HR images using shots taken at Taughannock Falls. The final image was 135 MP. E-M5II + 75mm f/1.8, processed ORF files through the HR PS plugin, NIK default raw resharpen, tif files stitched in AutoPanoPro 4.
Click on image below for larger version or see cropped version with additional sharpening in post #2313 in this thread

The ice dome at the base of the falls is about 100 ft high and falls drop is 215 ft.

A single HR 64 MP shot in portrait orientation. Small image below links to a 40 MP downsized version. There are cross hatching artifacts in the moving water in the original 64 MP image that I did not remove. Downsizing to 40 MP eliminates most of these artifacts.

Last edited:

scho

A comparison between the E-M5II and Sony A7r. Shot HR raw with the Oly using a 12-40mm Pro lens at 23mm, f/5.6, ISO 200. Processed the HR ORF through Irident and exported a 3:2 aspect 40 MP Tif to LR. Sony A7r shot raw using Rodenstock 45mm APO-Grandagon at f/8 mounted on a Cambo Actus, ISO 200 and processed raw in LR. Seems to be a draw in terms of resolution and sharpness.

Below is a 100% screen grab of the two images in LR at the center focus point. Olympus left and Sony right. Original full size images are here.

k-hawinkler

A comparison between the E-M5II and Sony A7r. Shot HR raw with the Oly using a 12-40mm Pro lens at 23mm, f/5.6, ISO 200. Processed the HR ORF through Irident and exported a 3:2 aspect 40 MP Tif to LR. Sony A7r shot raw using Rodenstock 45mm APO-Grandagon at f/8 mounted on a Cambo Actus, ISO 200 and processed raw in LR. Seems to be a draw in terms of resolution and sharpness.

Below is a 100% screen grab of the two images in LR at the center focus point. Olympus left and Sony right. Original full size images are here.

Many thanks Carl. Both images look great.
The Sony image seems to look a tad warmer.
Which image does look more like what you saw with your eyes? TIA.

scho

Many thanks Carl. Both images look great.
The Sony image seems to look a tad warmer.
Which image does look more like what you saw with your eyes? TIA.
I think that the Sony image is closer in terms of actual color, but I did not try to adjust WB in the two images to match. Lighting was mixed daylight and overhead recessed ceiling lights, so difficult to deal with.

jonoslack

I think that the Sony image is closer in terms of actual color, but I did not try to adjust WB in the two images to match. Lighting was mixed daylight and overhead recessed ceiling lights, so difficult to deal with.
. . . . and certainly no correct answer (remember that dress!)

scho

Impressive Scho. Would be nice to see a show down between the new high tech E-M5ii high resolution vs the Nokia 808 with the boat house shot as the scene of choice :), that is if you still have your 808 ;)
Sorry for the long delay. Here are three shots of the boathouse scene using the Nokia 808, Sony A7r with Leica R 35-70, and Olympus M-5II with 12-40. Taken at different times, and the Oly and Sony shots were cropped and resized to match the Nokia 808. Dropbox link to files below.

Boathouse Image Files

mazor

wow, thanks Scho (Carl) just had a look, and the difference at first is not so obvious until you really start pixel peeping.

I would rank the cameras in the following order of best to worst.

1. Olympus E-M5-ii
2. Sony A7r
3. Nokia 808

The amount of resolution both the A7r and the E-M5ii is really quite impressive. Those 2 are neck in neck in terms of resolving power and detail. What is of interest is the aliasing which I find is an issue on some of the wooden panels captured with the A7r. This aliasing issue does not exist on the E-M5-ii. The 808 sadly sits last with the lowest signal to noise and least resolving power. That being said the 808 does have a smaller sensor, a tiny Zeiss optic and no aperture to allow for stop down DOF sharpening. With such a small optic, I suspect the Nokia 808 "softness" or lack of detail compared to the other two may be attributed to diffraction where the sensor has clearly out resolved the lens.

Scho is it possible to take the same shot again with the E-M5ii in 16Mp resolution? It would be interesting to see if there is aliasing in that situation.

scho

wow, thanks Scho (Carl) just had a look, and the difference at first is not so obvious until you really start pixel peeping.

I would rank the cameras in the following order of best to worst.

1. Olympus E-M5-ii
2. Sony A7r
3. Nokia 808

The amount of resolution both the A7r and the E-M5ii is really quite impressive. Those 2 are neck in neck in terms of resolving power and detail. What is of interest is the aliasing which I find is an issue on some of the wooden panels captured with the A7r. This aliasing issue does not exist on the E-M5-ii. The 808 sadly sits last with the lowest signal to noise and least resolving power. That being said the 808 does have a smaller sensor, a tiny Zeiss optic and no aperture to allow for stop down DOF sharpening. With such a small optic, I suspect the Nokia 808 "softness" or lack of detail compared to the other two may be attributed to diffraction where the sensor has clearly out resolved the lens.

Scho is it possible to take the same shot again with the E-M5ii in 16Mp resolution? It would be interesting to see if there is aliasing in that situation.
When you shoot in HR mode you automatically get a 16 mp file (first shot in the series) saved as a raw ORI file. Here is the converted ORI file that was downloaded with the ORF file.

scho

A few shots with the E-M5II and 12-40 taken on a walk in the park. No tripod, but I still got 40+ MP (actually 61 average before cropping) by shooting short high speed bursts and then stacking 7-12 raw shots from each scene in PhotoAcute3 to generate a higher res final image.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Fancy going the Full Monty ?

Check it out here: Iridient Developer v3.01 supports E-M5II 64MB Raw!

source: diglloyd.com

:watch:
Thanks Bart. I have already been using the 3.0.1 version.
But the 3.0.0 version already supported all the E-M5 II files.
AFAIK I now have the following choices for editing the hi res files.

CS6
CS6 with Olympus plugin
Iridient Developer
Capture One Pro

RPP64 also can handle the hi res files.

I have to gain more experience with the latest Capture One Pro to make up my mind which editor to prefer. But so far Iridient Developer for conversion with subsequent use of CS6 and Nik seem to work pretty well.

scho

Thanks Bart. I have already been using the 3.0.1 version.
But the 3.0.0 version already supported all the E-M5 II files.
AFAIK I now have the following choices for editing the hi res files.

CS6
CS6 with Olympus plugin
Iridient Developer
Capture One Pro

RPP64 also can handle the hi res files.

I have to gain more experience with the latest Capture One Pro to make up my mind which editor to prefer. But so far Iridient Developer for conversion with subsequent use of CS6 and Nik seem to work pretty well.
You can add the latest Affinity Photo Beta to your list of apps that will process HR ORF files.

scho

A series of detail shots of an old boxcar taken with the E-M5II+12-40 lens on a tripod in HR mode. The ORF files were batch processed through Irident using default parameters with full 64 MP tif output to LR. No further adjustments or sharpening in LR. Images were downsized 50% and exported as jpegs to Flickr.

It was very windy and cold when I took these shots and although I didn't anticipate any subject movement the first shot below reveals that a heavy chain was moved enough by the wind to create blur and artifacts.

edit: I was able to repair the blurry, swinging chain in the first image by blending in the chain image from the ORI file.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Grrreat rusty train running gear, but if you want to see some more of the rocky southwest, have a look at
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II: Exploring landscapes with 40 Megapixels | atmtx photo blog .
(not my work, just a link). He's shooting jpegs. Also, over at the Kirk Tuck blog, Kirk describes doing still life shots of electronic components with the M5ii on a sturdy tripod and finding that floor vibrations were a detectable problem. He also went to WiFi shutter activation to further sharpen things. A commenter subsequently pointed out that one level deeper in the menu that sets up the HR is a control to set a shutter delay.

scott

scho

Grrreat rusty train running gear, but if you want to see some more of the rocky southwest, have a look at
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II: Exploring landscapes with 40 Megapixels | atmtx photo blog .
(not my work, just a link). He's shooting jpegs. Also, over at the Kirk Tuck blog, Kirk describes doing still life shots of electronic components with the M5ii on a sturdy tripod and finding that floor vibrations were a detectable problem. He also went to WiFi shutter activation to further sharpen things. A commenter subsequently pointed out that one level deeper in the menu that sets up the HR is a control to set a shutter delay.

scott
Thanks Scott. The SW environment is ideal for HR landscape work with the E-M5II. The 64 MP tif files from the latest version of Irident Developer are very nice, thanks primarily to significant improvements in sharpening and noise reduction. I also process the ORI files identically to the companion HR ORF files and then use the ORI to mask out any movement artifacts when necessary.

Annna T

A series of detail shots of an old boxcar taken with the E-M5II+12-40 lens on a tripod in HR mode. The ORF files were batch processed through Irident using default parameters with full 64 MP tif output to LR. No further adjustments or sharpening in LR. Images were downsized 50% and exported as jpegs to Flickr.

It was very windy and cold when I took these shots and although I didn't anticipate any subject movement the first shot below reveals that a heavy chain was moved enough by the wind to create blur and artifacts.

edit: I was able to repair the blurry, swinging chain in the first image by blending in the chain image from the ORI file.

This picture is my favorite of the lot. I like the red colors and the round wheel contrasting against all the squared shapes.
I think that I prefer the version where the chain is moving. It adds a little something to the whole, one can imagine the wind blowing..

However that is just looking at my iPad : not sure how theses artifacts would do in a print.

Knorp

Capture One 8.2.1 is out now.

Highlights, Capture One 8.2.1 (Mac only)

This is a service release for Mac only providing bug fixes and camera support.

Bug fixes
• Fixed an issue with incorrectly located crop handles when using scaled resolutions on Mac
• Fixed an viewer quality issue when using scaled resolutions on Mac

Camera support
• Support for Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II high resolution files
Kind regards.