The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The China-made Leica M -> m4/3 Adapter

jklotz

Mine doesn't work at all yet! I ordered it 3 weeks ago and it's still not here! I keep checking the mail box expectantly every day.....

R

Ranger 9

Mine doesn't work at all yet! I ordered it 3 weeks ago and it's still not here! I keep checking the mail box expectantly every day.....
No, yours works fine... your postman told me he's getting great results with it... :)

W

wslam

I have also received the Rayqual. Yes, a little nicer quality, but to think the China-made one isn't good enough for your precious leica m lenses, is nothing but a matter of 'attitude misalignment' =)

Airtimid

Just picked mine up this morning, woohoo. Been playing with a Jupiter 8 and CV 40 1.4. So far so good. BTW, how do you check infinity focus?

monza

Put a telephoto lens (preferably) on infinity using the focus scale and see if far away objects are in focus, or if you have to turn the lens to get them sharp.

monza

I have also received the Rayqual. Yes, a little nicer quality, but to think the China-made one isn't good enough for your precious leica m lenses, is nothing but a matter of 'attitude misalignment' =)
Heh. :) I just see people spend thousands on Leica lenses only to try to save a few dollars on what appears to be a less than adequate adapter. Not to say that they won't get it right eventually (Novoflex is in the same category with regards to focus inaccuracy) but I just find it curious.

This would be of concern to me...

'I noticed that the top "spring" seems to fatigue easily, and most of my lenses developed a bit of play at the top after even slight use. I tried spreading the "leaf" with the tip of a screwdriver, which helped a bit, but it seems likely that it will fatigue again soon. Supporting the weight of the lens with your free hand should help work around this problem.'

jklotz

good news and bad

well, I've got good news and bad. Good news is my adaptor arrived from China today, 3 weeks to the day. Bad news is doesn't reach infinity focus. These are 100% crops, 1st is with adaptor and 75 summarit, 2nd is pani tele zoom. I tried several lenses, same result.

What now? I'll contact the shipper, we'll see.....

R

Ranger 9

'I noticed that the top "spring" seems to fatigue easily, and most of my lenses developed a bit of play at the top after even slight use. I tried spreading the "leaf" with the tip of a screwdriver, which helped a bit, but it seems likely that it will fatigue again soon. Supporting the weight of the lens with your free hand should help work around this problem.'
That's my quote, and it concerns me a bit too. What concerns me even more is that the front flange is held into the body of the adapter by only four rather small screws. (I notice from the pictures that RayQual uses five screws.)

Now maybe it will be fine; in fact I'm assuming it will be fine, since as I write this I've got a hefty 85/1.5 Canon lens hanging off the thing. But while some Leica M-mount optics are nice and petite, there are others that are quite hefty, and you'd be asking a lot of those four little screws to support them, such as if you mounted the camera on a tripod via the camera socket. (Fortunately, some of the beefier L-mount lenses such as the original 90/2 Summicron and the 105/2.5 Nikkor have tripod sockets on the lens.)

I'm not saying the adapter is crap; as noted, I'm using it. But I think Monza is right to be warning people to be a bit careful. For that matter, Stephen Gandy has warned people on his website that the Micro Four Thirds body mount may not be up to the demands of some lenses people might want to hang off the front of it, adapter or no adapter.

GDI

Heh. :) I just see people spend thousands on Leica lenses only to try to save a few dollars on what appears to be a less than adequate adapter. Not to say that they won't get it right eventually (Novoflex is in the same category with regards to focus inaccuracy) but I just find it curious.
I don't think it is curious, due to the lack of availability of the better adapters. Saving the money was going to be a bonus. But, of course, all it means now is a hassle! I am still on the waiting list for a rayqual, so eventually....

Diane B

I might mention that the Cameraquest (we assume Rayqual) adaptors are shipping. My FD adaptor shipped yesterday so I'm sure the M mounts are also. The first shipment of Ms were sold out and the second shipment is 3/1. Its cheaper than buying from the source I saw for the Rayquals (not a lot though LOL).

Diane

monza

Rayqual are shipping from Japan Exposures, Dirk told me he's got more going out next week, if you don't want to wait til March.

A

ajuett

I ordered a Rayqual FD to m4/3 under a week ago. It took 3 days to get to Vancouver and cleared customs Friday but, didn't make the regular mail route. It should arrive tomorrow (Monday). There is a FD 50mm f/1.2 N waiting on my desk for it :)

Airtimid

When testing for infinity, how far should I checking? Meaning, I took a picture of a stop sign 100ft+ away, is that good enough? I'm using a 90mm lens.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Infinity is a bit further than that.
Assuming an f/2 90mm lens on a 4/3 sensor focused on an object 100 feet away, the calculated DOF for a circle of confusion of 0.015mm is from 89' 10" to 112' 9"
Since the hyperfocal distance for that stop is 885', I think that a focus target of at least 1000 ft would be much more accurate.
I use the moon, which is a little farther off.
-bob

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

When testing for infinity, how far should I checking? Meaning, I took a picture of a stop sign 100ft+ away, is that good enough? I'm using a 90mm lens.
A factoid of unknown origin found in the musty corners of my brain says that a good formula value for "photographic infinity" is 10,000 x the focal length.

In your case that would be 900 meters, or just a bit short of 1 km... a bit over half a mile... or about 7 city blocks.

I like to use TV/radio towers handy for this purpose, as there are several at about the right distance where I live, and they've got lots of fine details for checking. Of course the moon is more photogenic...