The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The China-made Leica M -> m4/3 Adapter

W

wslam

Yah, I think so... I dont have the right instruments to accurately verify the distance right now, but it looks to be right...

and FYI, you can leave the adaptor on the camera and change lens.

Last edited:
W

wslam

Quick Question.
When one uses Leica M lenses on the G1, I have the camera set to Aperture Priority, focus... now is there anyway for me to control the shutter speed?

Jonas

Quick Question.
When one uses Leica M lenses on the G1, I have the camera set to Aperture Priority, focus... now is there anyway for me to control the shutter speed?
The question is a bit strange...

In classic photography the answer would be no... If you have set the aperture value to anything you would like the light and film speed would determine the shutter speed...

Now we can set the aperture value to anything we like and then we can have the camera set the shutter time according to the ISO and the light, but we can also change the ISO value while keeping the aperture value and change the shutter time accordingly.

Pressing the front wheel will let you set exposure compensation, is that it?

But all this you know. What is it I don't understand with your question?

W

wslam

Sorry, yes idiotic question! I am totally embarassed... what happened was that I had it on Auto ISO and ISO was changing behind the scene... so I thought the shutter speed was stuck at 1/30! haha... Pls ignore! I was about to come back to the forum to delete my question! but you caught me! haha

Jonas

Sorry, yes idiotic question! I am totally embarassed... what happened was that I had it on Auto ISO and ISO was changing behind the scene... so I thought the shutter speed was stuck at 1/30! haha... Pls ignore! I was about to come back to the forum to delete my question! but you caught me! haha
Ah, so that's what happened... happened with what? I don't remember... not what, where, how or even who... ;)

W

wslam

=))

Ok, I have done some more testing.
The adapter is very reasonably machined.
I only have 2 comments.
1) The 'button' that you push down to release the lens 'wobbles' when no lens is attached. It is actually ok solid, but because it moves, it just seems a bit fragile.
2) The lens can be mounted 'beyond' the click... if you hold down the lens release button, you can keep turning the lens...Again, this is no big deal. You wont run into the problem unless you *try*.

=))
1) The 'button' that you push down to release the lens 'wobbles' when no lens is attached. It is actually ok solid, but because it moves, it just seems a bit fragile.
I received mine today. It is well machined and does not have this problem.
It is also much nicer to mount on the G1 than the Novoflex, it turns in place with the smoothness of butter and then stays well in place, reminding me of the precision engineering of the Alpa Reflex.
Finally, the main advantage has already been mentioned: you can leave the adapter in place on the camera while changing lenses. No need to machine away anything.

monza

This new adapter seems to be well-executed. Hopefully there will be additional confirmations of precise infinity focus.

I sent my Novoflex back, and told them I wanted to exchange it for one of their other adapters.

R

Ranger 9

=))

Ok, I have done some more testing.
The adapter is very reasonably machined.
I only have 2 comments.
To expand a bit for anyone who might be put off by this: The button doesn't wobble in the sense of being loose. What happens is that the latch (the part that engages the slot in the M mount to lock the lens in place) is a cylindrical pin. The button you push is attached rigidly to this pin at a right angle, and sticks out the side of the adapter through a slot. There's a slight amount of clearance in this slot to allow the button to move when you press it. Because the pin is cylindrical, it can rotate in its hole if you push the button sidewise, and naturally the button rotates along with it. This causes the button to appear to rock from side to side. It's not sloppy, though; it simply is rotating smoothly around the latching pin.

I don't have the RayQual adapter for comparison, but it appears from the pictures that they've used a square latch pin instead of a round one, which would eliminate this rocking motion. But there's nothing wrong mechanically with the round pin.

V

Vivek

It (the pin and the lens release button) is the same design as the Leitz's own OUFRO adapter. No worries.

W

wslam

Thanks Ranger 9 for clarifying. yes, Wobbling is probably not the right word to describe it.
So far, functionally, I cannot find any thing wrong with it, and the price is about half that of the others.

I also ordered the Rayqual and it's supposed to arrive this week...

GDI

Is everyone getting infinity focus with the jinfinance adapter? I think mine may be just short of reaching it.

Thanks

monza

hmm....going past is one thing (Novoflex) but not reaching infinity is another. Have you tested with a long(ish) lens?

GDI

I have to do more testing - but I did check it with a 90 Summicron. A shot of the moon wide open was very soft but as I stopped down it seemed to get pretty sharp.

R

Ranger 9

Is everyone getting infinity focus with the jinfinance adapter? I think mine may be just short of reaching it.
Finally bought a G1 today (yes, I bought the adapter first and then the camera!) so just now had a chance to test infinity focus with my jinfinance adapter.

My adapter was too thick and would not reach infinity.

Rather than sending it back and waiting to see if jinfinance can sort this out with his OEM, I did the following:

-- Remove the M lens flange by removing the four Phillips-head screws. Don't worry, there are no loose parts to fly out.

-- Place the flange lens-side-down on a sheet of wet #600 abrasive paper on a flat surface.

-- Rub the flange against the paper in a circular pattern, changing grip frequently. (Warning to renters and married people: This is a messy operation.)

-- Rinse and dry the flange, then re-assemble to test infinity.

--Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Before doing this, I had measured the total thickness of the adapter with a digital caliper, getting a nominal thickness of 8.67mm. By the time I had thinned the flange enough to get good infinity focus, the total thickness was 8.57mm. In other words, I had to remove 0.1mm from the face of the adapter. Your millimeterage may vary.

More words to the wise based on my experience:

-- The screws that hold the flange to the adapter body are of somewhat indifferent quality. It's easy to damage the screw head when trying to tighten it securely, even if you're using the correct-size screwdriver and exercising normal care (ask me how I know this.) If you really mung up the screw head you'll be in deep tapioca, because you won't be able to remove the screw again! (Fortunately, I avoided this fate.) Suggestion: instead of relying on firm tightening to hold the screws in place, use some sealer on the threads and tighten just enough to be secure. Apparently that's what the factory does too, as I found evidence of whitish sealer on the threads.

-- Because the screws are small and there are only four of them, you might want to keep one hand under the lens at all times if you are using your new $10,000 f/0.95 Noctilux on your G1 via this adapter. (Or, if you really are using your new f/0.95 Noctilux, have one of your entourage or a servant lie on the ground under the camera to absorb the impact if the lens falls off.)

-- When thinning down the flange as described above, you shouldn't have to worry about the lens still fitting tightly against it; the "leaf springs" that are cut into the flange's bayonet lugs are supposed to pull the lens firmly against the face of the flange However, I noticed that the top "spring" seems to fatigue easily, and most of my lenses developed a bit of play at the top after even slight use. I tried spreading the "leaf" with the tip of a screwdriver, which helped a bit, but it seems likely that it will fatigue again soon. Supporting the weight of the lens with your free hand should help work around this problem.

This experience hasn't left me totally disappointed in the jinfinance adapter -- it does seem to work well as long as I keep a hand under the lens barrel, and I intend to keep using it until I can afford a house call from Doctor RayQual. But it does seem to suggest that you get what you pay for with these adapters.