The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD E-M5 MKII impressions

Knorp

Just a short note:
I'm quite happy with the Panaleicas 42,5/1.2 and 15/1.7
But the 15 suffers from serious distortion ...

Kind regards.

raist3d

Just a short note:
I'm quite happy with the Panaleicas 42,5/1.2 and 15/1.7
But the 15 suffers from serious distortion ...

Kind regards.
I'll be frank and say I am not seeing a serious distortion, but very little actually. The Pentax Q 01 (as good as it is) and the Nikon 1 F1.8 18.5mm (again, as good as it is), show me more of a more notable distortion.

I went around and took a couple of shots and I have to say my first impressions were correct. This lens has blue crystals from the Europa moon and do give that extra something I wanted to see. Let me see if I can post a shot and a crop.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Update: nm, I see the distortion now. Looks like Iridient corrects from the m4/3rds profile while Capture One shows it by default in all its glory :) Not as bad as I have seen in some places but I see your point :)

- Ricardo

raist3d

So here's a snap and a 100% crop. This is ISO 640 and at F1.7 (that's max aperture). I find the tonality and contrast pretty darn good.

Look a the window blinds... each line... And the curtains in the light, etc.

Used Iridient Digital for these.

- Ricardo

raist3d

A little blurry. Had to freeze them more and needed to have shot in C-AF the way I did this shot.

- Ricardo

Knorp

Update: nm, I see the distortion now. Looks like Iridient corrects from the m4/3rds profile while Capture One shows it by default in all its glory :) Not as bad as I have seen in some places but I see your point :)

- Ricardo
It's a fine lens that should do really well on the streets and is also great for interesting close-ups.
But you have to accept its shortcoming(s) ...

Kind regards.

raist3d

It's a fine lens that should do really well on the streets and is also great for interesting close-ups.
But you have to accept its shortcoming(s) ...

Kind regards.
Well, I'll be frank and say the ultra wide is not my preferred street focal length. But what I recently discovered (using the Nikon 1 no less), is that there are some distinct situations I have sort of identified where I think I would want something more like this.

So I was thinking about this lenses, and the Panny Leicas... then I realized something:

Panny Leica 25mm F1.4 is almost the size of the Fuji XF35 F1.4

Panny Leica Nocticron F1.2 is *bigger* than the Fuji XF56 F1.2

GRRRRR. If that's the case, what gives? Why go for the Olympus then if size with good quality lenses is not on its side when I consider more favorite focal lengths.... At least the 75mm is smaller than the F2.0 XF90 and while I do like that focal length, the other two are more key to me (but I still like the option).

That would leave response time and IBIS. Response time of Fuji has improved and from what I keep reading on the new AF system, there's a new jump in responsiveness here. I would definitively like to see for myself but looks like the difference wouldn't amount to much weight in this choice. The IBIS while very nice, and I will miss it, I don't think would trump the usability and the superb color/IQ of the Fuji.

Maybe some situations with IBIS cancel each other. And the option to use the 25 F1.8 m/43rds lens makes the option of going smaller available even if I cringe now using that lens a bit. Plus the occasional ability to use my older 4/3rd lenses.

Blah, I'll sleep on this.

- Ricardo

PS: I compared some Fuji shots tonight on same locations with some I took with the OMD/15mm lens. Both did pretty good. Fuji had a nicer highlight rolloff, though that can be pushed to some extent on the OMD by exposing more to the right even if it makes the exposure trickier when going full manual. A cloth test subject on the Olympus had color moiré, on the Fuji it had none of that. Maybe this is part of what make the Fuji colors pop out a bit more at times - no subtle color artifacts/significantly reduced color moiré artifacts.

Last edited:

raist3d

Bart- question- where have you found the 15mm Panny Leica shortcomings show up for you? I understand the distortion aspect but since the lens seems so sharp and so well in the micro contrast department, looks like even with the software correction the file holds rather well.

Are you shooting lots of architecture? Just curious.

- Ricardo

Knorp

Bart- question- where have you found the 15mm Panny Leica shortcomings show up for you? I understand the distortion aspect but since the lens seems so sharp and so well in the micro contrast department, looks like even with the software correction the file holds rather well.

Are you shooting lots of architecture? Just curious.

- Ricardo
Hi there Ricardo,

I'm so sorry for missing your post, I must have been carried away by the recent announcements: you know the new Q, A7rII ... :eek:
Really, I should have skipped that (s), it's only its distortion that haunts me.
It's otherwise a perfect little performer.
But I still have to take it to streets one day ...

Knorp

W
GRRRRR. If that's the case, what gives? Why go for the Olympus then if size with good quality lenses is not on its side when I consider more favorite focal lengths.... At least the 75mm is smaller than the F2.0 XF90 and while I do like that focal length, the other two are more key to me (but I still like the option).

That would leave response time and IBIS. Response time of Fuji has improved and from what I keep reading on the new AF system, there's a new jump in responsiveness here. I would definitively like to see for myself but looks like the difference wouldn't amount to much weight in this choice. The IBIS while very nice, and I will miss it, I don't think would trump the usability and the superb color/IQ of the Fuji.

Maybe some situations with IBIS cancel each other. And the option to use the 25 F1.8 m/43rds lens makes the option of going smaller available even if I cringe now using that lens a bit. Plus the occasional ability to use my older 4/3rd lenses.

Blah, I'll sleep on this.

- Ricardo

PS: I compared some Fuji shots tonight on same locations with some I took with the OMD/15mm lens. Both did pretty good. Fuji had a nicer highlight rolloff, though that can be pushed to some extent on the OMD by exposing more to the right even if it makes the exposure trickier when going full manual. A cloth test subject on the Olympus had color moiré, on the Fuji it had none of that. Maybe this is part of what make the Fuji colors pop out a bit more at times - no subtle color artifacts/significantly reduced color moiré artifacts.
Never been bothered with that size/weight conundrum.
And if you want to go compact a mobile phone is hard to beat ;)
But hey - I'm getting older too, so a bit of weight reduction won't harm me I suppose.
Your comments about Fuji's IQ makes me more and more eyeing that X-T10 ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

raist3d

Ok, but all this lenses and size comparisons is part of my impressions of the OMD :) At least as it stands in the market. I will follow up with you on PM with other questions as/if I have them. Thanks for the reply and the note.

- Ricardo

quadtones

Are any of you that are using the Olympus left-eyed? I am, and am concerned that if it is configured for rear button focus, that there would be confluence of controls, my thumb and my nose. No one in my community sells them, and so it's not possible to pick it up and see if it fits.

Thanks, in advance,

Annna T

Are any of you that are using the Olympus left-eyed? I am, and am concerned that if it is configured for rear button focus, that there would be confluence of controls, my thumb and my nose. No one in my community sells them, and so it's not possible to pick it up and see if it fits.

Thanks, in advance,
I'm left eyed too. No interference problem with the back button on the E-M5II. However, I find the lever allowing you to switch between the two controls allowed by that button too high with respect to the button itself. So I ended up putting the AF lock on the Fn2 button at the same spot where I had it on the E-P5 and E-M5 before. It isn't due to the positioning of the button near of the VF, but to the height of the lever with respect to the button itself. The lever is more accessible and easier to operate than the button. A little stupid IMO.

raist3d

So... I am past the date to return the Panny/Leica 15mm which means I am most likely keeping my OMD and getting that Panny-Leica F1.4. Since this little lens and more use of the 4/3rd lenses I have, I see a lot of the iq I felt was missing.

There's also something weird about all these 4/3rd lenses... it's like they never focused well on the 4/3rd original cameras I used but now with accurate manual focusing they are like pretty darn sharp and nice.

So, I still love what Fuji is doing, and I think the X-T10 will be a hit. Love the 14-bit color and its JPEG engine but overall I was thinking ironically how useful the IBIS not just for what IBIS is for, but for making composing through the view finder or even LCD more pleasant.

So to summarize-

From Fuji I will miss:
- better quality lenses in entire lineup
- gorgeous stunning color
- less color moire
- better DR/less exposure pickiness to avoid burns
- streamlined more photographer oriented interface/usability
- more sharp
- better DOF at most apertures that are equivalent between equivalent lenses
- non tilt articulated LCD (faster/more discrete for street photography).

From Olympus OMD I welcome
- IBIS - for image stabilization to lower the ISO at night
- IBIS - for easier composing (no jumping image while composing but a certain "calm")
- Still smaller overall system than the Fuji as an option (even if that means using prime lenses I am not completely satisfied with, but I do value small).
- Overall slightly faster camera response
- realtime highlight/shadow for exposing in a-priority with exposure compensation is really accurate/good.

Bonus (these added up together have more weight)
- can use my Olympus 4/3rds lenses
- manual focus with focus peaking + IBIS of these lenses is a joy
- can use my 4/3rd flashes (rare use on my part but can be interesting when used; can use for events/weddings)
- 40 mp mode (mainly for product stuff or static urban/street photography)
- weather sealed

I had to think for the kind of photography I do and want to do, it seems some aspects are a better match on the Olympus.

- Ricardo

quadtones

Ricardo–Thanks for this summary. I am also thinking that for some of the club photography I do that the shorter focal lengths of the micro 43 lenses combined with large f stops would serve will. I had used an 85mm f1.2 Canon and for shots of musicians there just wasn't enough depth of field to be usable wide open. Something like the Nocticron would still have the light gathering capability, while giving me a little more depth of field than the 85 Canon.

Plus...I can see the 40 Mp mode being useful for "camera scanning" some old negatives.

Guess this thread has cost me some $$$.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ricardo,

excellent decision to keep the Oly. You will not regret!

I actually felt much more free as soon as I got rid of my Fuji system and just kept the Oly. The fuji was just too big and while the lenses were sharp I never liked their haptic, feeling etc.

Enjoy

Peter

jonoslack

Well, for our trip to China I took the Leica Q and my M cameras . . . job to do . . . Emma took her new E-M10 and loved it.

Today I went out with the E-M5ii again, and shot with the Leica 50 APO and the 90 macro elmarit - what fun - and what results too (here are a couple)

Incidentally, has anyone found a quicker way to change the focal length for IBIS than Settings cog C / image stabiliser?

Rose and bug with the 50 APO

Rose with the 90

Annna T

Well, for our trip to China I took the Leica Q and my M cameras . . . job to do . . . Emma took her new E-M10 and loved it.

Today I went out with the E-M5ii again, and shot with the Leica 50 APO and the 90 macro elmarit - what fun - and what results too (here are a couple)

Incidentally, has anyone found a quicker way to change the focal length for IBIS than Settings cog C / image stabiliser?
Here is what I use : OK center button to bring up the SCP, then navigate to the stabilization icon, pick the mode you want if that needs to be changed (off, IS1, etc.) using the right left arrows, then click on the info button and you should be able to change the focal length using the up-down arrows.

Disclaimer : this is from memory and from using the E-M5 mk1. I don't have any legacy lenses here to test whether that does really work for the E-M5II. But I think it should.

Nice roses by the way.. I'm always wondering how people are doing to present flowless flowers closeups and well framed at that. When I try to take one myself, there are always some visible defects, due to wheather, insects having eated their lunch, or whatever.. and if find it very difficult to have a nice background plus a nice framing.