The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1-II: 1/32.000 - now we're talking ...

V

Vivek

Will it sync (with a flash) @ 1/32000s? otherwise, I do not see any point.

If anyone has used such high speeds for photography, i would like to see some samples.

mazor

Sounds like the E-M1ii will come with similar sensor tech from the E-M5ii to allow for complete electronic shutter. One has to wonder then, will the E-M1ii retain the on sensor PDAF sensor array from the E-M1, and also will there be a way to implement cross type phase sensors to allow for both vertical and horizontal focus lock.

1/32000 shutter speed sounds like a nice feature, but if the rolling shutter effect is not compensated some how, having such an amazing shutter speed for capturing fast moving subjects would be essentially useless.

Annna T

If anyone has used such high speeds for photography, i would like to see some samples.
I think that the main goal of that speed is to allow HiRes with a speed up to 1/60s (aka handheld) : there is an interview of an Olympus official who said that was their goal. 1/32000 may just be a by product of that.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, finally also in the EM1 - will be a welcome update!

Although Fuji supports this in the XT1 already - and it was made possible via a FW upgrade ;)

mazor

would love a silent shutter feature on the E-M1! but not sure if the sensor is physically capable of silent shutter :(

k-hawinkler

Hi Bart, 1/16000 s of the E-M5 Mark II can be a lot of fun as well! :)
But, I have to admit one can still overexpose a shot with a really fast lens. :-(

mazor

Would be awesome if a high res multi shot can be captured in 1/60 second!! One has to wonder though if the effect of noise reduction from image stacking can compensate for the requirement of a higher ISO for faster shutter speeds.

jonoslack

Nice for shooting very fast lenses wide open in bright light.

ggibson

The big question is how fast can they make the electronic shutter scan down the entire image? The GM1 has an electronic shutter of 1/16000 but it is not really suitable for high-speed photography or flash because the scanning process takes 1/10s and induces rolling shutter artifacts. Even the GH4 only can scan its shutter at around 1/40s.

It seems to me the biggest limitation preventing a hand-held 40MP mode is this electronic shutter scan speed. To reach a 1/60s handheld 40MP mode, you have to:

1) Expose 8 shots during that duration & read out the exposure.
2) Move the sensor each time.

I have no idea how long #2 takes, but the MINIMUM for #1 is basically a 1/500s readout from the sensor which is more than 10x faster than the GH4. But who knows, maybe Olympus can do it.

jonoslack

The big question is how fast can they make the electronic shutter scan down the entire image? The GM1 has an electronic shutter of 1/16000 but it is not really suitable for high-speed photography or flash because the scanning process takes 1/10s and induces rolling shutter artifacts. Even the GH4 only can scan its shutter at around 1/40s/QUOTE]

Interesting - does anyone know how fast the shuttter of the E-M5ii scans?

mazor

not sure, but from what I read from a DPreview thread, they reckon it can only sync 1/25 with the electronic shutter.

When Global shutter technology is somehow enabled in CMOS sensors, we will be seeing substantially higher flash sync speeds.

scott kirkpatrick

Remember the hints that the 8-shot HD dance could in principle be completed in 1/60 sec? That would require that a single shot be scanned out in 1/500 sec. Howzat for a flash synch speed? But we'll probably have to wait for the E-M1 Viii for all of that to come to pass.

scott

GGibson already made the same point. For the E-M5 Vii, the HD shots take "about a second" so let's say it is at least 1/2 sec. That's 1/10 to 1/20 sec for each readout. Probably same as the GM1 and that's no surprise since the chip comes from the same supplier

Last edited:

raist3d

Scott, you're right on. I saw this test of the E-M5ii's sensor readout speed: 1/20 sec.

Micro 4/3rds Photography: Olympus E-M5 II shutters

Also, if the rumors are true that the E-M1ii will have a 20MP Sony sensor, that's even more data to read off the sensor. Looks like we have a ways to go before hand-held mode will be available.
1/20 of a sec sounds about right given how easy I can make the background go diagonal when panning for a moving subject vs the Nikon 1 J4 which is 1/80.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Scott, you're right on. I saw this test of the E-M5ii's sensor readout speed: 1/20 sec.

Micro 4/3rds Photography: Olympus E-M5 II shutters

Also, if the rumors are true that the E-M1ii will have a 20MP Sony sensor, that's even more data to read off the sensor. Looks like we have a ways to go before hand-held mode will be available.
The 20 MP m/43rds sensor specs point to it having a faster read it seems, than the current one (27 fps).

- Ricardo