The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The EE-1 Dot Sight

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This has passed well under my radar, but it's a very interesting product for certain kinds of photography:

The new Olympus EE-1 dot sight will make you feel like on a shooting range | Photo Rumors

I've been involved some heated discussions around electronic viewfinders and action photography, but this device will, if it works as advertised, be a big help for those who want to shoot birds in flight, air shows and racing vehicles with a mirrorless camera. Basically, it's an optical viewfinder to place in the viewfinder, making it easier to track subjects that change direction or speed abruptly. In addition, one will be able to see subjects that have disappeared from the viewfinder more easily, since it's a rather open solution, making it easier to "catch up". I wonder how it handles parallax error. Also, one would need the hybrid AF of the E-M1 to be sure about focus tracking, and even then... I'm not sure.

It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has tried it.

scott kirkpatrick

Maybe with the E-M1 II then.
It's just a sports finder that slides into the accessory slot. If you want extreme precision in the placement of the dot (both vertical and horizontal) it may depend on the camera, but if you are trying to track a fast moving bird or critter, parallax errors might not be that important. For shooting team sports, I would want to know if there are some frame lines indicated.

scott

k-hawinkler

I ordered one from Olympus directly when I ordered the E-M5 Mark II.
Have the E-M5 II, but Olympus hasn't been shipping the EE-1 yet.
AFAIK the EE-1 should work with the E-M5 II.
I am interested to find out how it works in combination with the 40-150/2.8 or the upcoming 300/4.

Knorp

This externally-mounted dot sight is perfect for super-telephoto photography of wild birds.
This accessory assists in framing when photographing far-away subjects. The brightness and position of the reticle can be adjusted.
Because it is powered by a coin-type battery, it can be used when attached to the hot shoe or cold shoe.
FEATURES:
  • Dustproof and splashproof dot sight.
  • Compatible with any camera with a hot/cold shoe mount.
  • Slide lever style opening mechanism.
  • Reticle brightness and position can be adjusted.
  • Perfect for super telephoto shots of wildlife.
So it should work on any camera, no ?

Note: Ships in late May ...

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

So it should work on any camera, no ?

Note: Ships in late May ...

Kind regards.
Thanks Bart. Olympus OM-D E-M5 II Review: Digital Photography Review, quote:
"There's also the EE-1 'dot sight.' This is essentially a hotshoe-mounted version of the sight built into the company's SP100 superzoom compact. it's designed to help you aim the camera quickly while focusing on distant, moving subjects where there's a risk of the target disappearing out of frame and you not knowing which direction to move the camera to find it again. The EE-1 contains its own battery, so can be mounted onto any camera with a hotshoe."

mazor

wow, did not know the red dot sight needed power. Guess it will be used to adjust the position of the dot?

mazor

I believe the E-M1 with firmware 3.0 has a good chance ;) Not sure about the E-M5ii thought for which the E-E1 is designed for.

k-hawinkler

I believe the E-M1 with firmware 3.0 has a good chance ;) Not sure about the E-M5ii thought for which the E-E1 is designed for.
The dpreview guys seem rather impressed by the E-M5II's ability to focus and track up to 4 frames per second. Continuous release mode has to be set to off, opposite the default setting.

I let me 3 O-MD cameras only fire when in focus, whether it's for AF-S or AF-C.

mazor

I am absolutely enjoying C-AF on the E-M1 since the firmware 3.0 update was released. The camera is like a totally different camera. I like the C-AF setting so much that I use it sometimes in Single shot modes even. The way the lens focuses brings me back to DSLR days. When lighting is not so ideal, I switch back to S-AF takes over where C-AF fails in low light.

k-hawinkler

I am absolutely enjoying C-AF on the E-M1 since the firmware 3.0 update was released. The camera is like a totally different camera. I like the C-AF setting so much that I use it sometimes in Single shot modes even. The way the lens focuses brings me back to DSLR days. When lighting is not so ideal, I switch back to S-AF takes over where C-AF fails in low light.
Many thanks. I seem to be operating very similarly with my E-M1, firmware 3.0. :thumbs:

scott kirkpatrick

So what is the battery for in the EE-1? I thought it would function like the wire frame sports finder on an old Speed Graphic, letting you see well outside the frame.

scott

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So what is the battery for in the EE-1? I thought it would function like the wire frame sports finder on an old Speed Graphic, letting you see well outside the frame.

scott
Probably for lighting up the red dot, and hopefully adjusting it for parallax error on compatible cameras according to focal length.

Just guessing :)

scott kirkpatrick

Probably for lighting up the red dot, and hopefully adjusting it for parallax error on compatible cameras according to focal length.

Just guessing :)
I like the idea of lighting up the red dot, but I don't see how it will know the focal length or distance at which the lens is focused. It works in a hot or a cold shoe, so it doesn't seem to be using the viewfinder port (which the M5 ii lacks anyway).

scott

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I like the idea of lighting up the red dot, but I don't see how it will know the focal length or distance at which the lens is focused. It works in a hot or a cold shoe, so it doesn't seem to be using the viewfinder port (which the M5 ii lacks anyway).

scott
You have a point, but then, I'm just guessing (and dreaming) :)

But how can the dot be placed correctly if it doesn't know the focal length?

Knorp

You have a point, but then, I'm just guessing (and dreaming) :)

But how can the dot be placed correctly if it doesn't know the focal length?

Well, the EE-1 [Eagle's Eye] is effective at infinity or near infinity, but seems to require adjustment for parallax.
Perhaps we ought to read the Stylus SP-100EE's webpage (or the manual) for a clue: Olympus SP-100EE features

Note: for fun read this "Comparison of SP-100EE's built-in dot sight and external dot sight" ... :LOL:

Kind regards.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

The link to olympus-asia wasn't working for me, but here's another:
Olympus SP-100EE Review | PhotographyBLOG
This superzoom certainly seems like the source of the idea. Since it is built-in in this product, the EE could know the focal length and even attempt a little parallax correction, but the illustration doesn't show frame lines (which would need to know the focal length). It's an old principle of anti-aircraft weaponry -- your eyes can track a little bird in the middle of a lot of sky, and you just want to keep it more or less centered in the frame.

scott