The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-M1 version 3.0 news

mazor

hmm, nice I will have to do a test to compare using CAF lock to normal and off. Currently I have had excellent focus tracking with it set to off and fix the CAF to work in the 9 box region, as in the past with older firmwares, setting any larger focus region resulted in not so desirable AF tracking, and setting any CAF lock settings would make it even worst.

k-hawinkler

Anyone owning or reading Darrel Young's book and also interested in capturing images of fast moving subjects ie birds in flight, motor sport etc should read these:
Olympus OM-D E-M1: Supplemental Files:Rocky Nook

Many thanks Dave indeed. I set up my E-M1 according to the recommendations in the pdf files and shot some images at 6.5 frames per second, not tracked. Would it be alright to post some images here? Thanks again.

:worthless:

k-hawinkler

We may get some apricots this year.
The bees are busy and it doesn't look like winter will come back right now!
Last year frost and snow killed all the blossoms of non-native trees!
The native trees know better and wait another month!

E-M1 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II

Last edited:

mazor

the capture of the bee flying onto or off the blossom is really good! I think I am going to attach my panny 100-300 and see what it can do ;)

k-hawinkler

the capture of the bee flying onto or off the blossom is really good! I think I am going to attach my panny 100-300 and see what it can do ;)
Many thanks for your kind comment. The bee is flying off the blossom in this picture.

Although I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 300/4 PRO lens, I am really impressed by the performance of the Olympus 75-300/4.8-6.7 II lens on all 3 OM-Ds, E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5 II.

k-hawinkler

I set up my E-M5 II similarly to the E-M1.

This is a Curved Bill Thrasher, a joy to listen to their melodies.

The quiet shutter is a real advantage when taking pictures of wildlife.

I watched this obviously older bird asleep for quite awhile, taking many shots standing only 10 feet away. That bird didn't hear a thing. ;)

E-M5 II + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Two days after the Apricot tree the Plum tree is in full bloom!
Again there are many diverse visitors.

Another view of the last insect.

And one more view.

E-M1 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

How about some leisure time pictures from the Land of Enchantment?
C-AF Tr seems to behave rather erratically for me. Maybe it's just me.
However, C-AF coupled with low speed of 4 (E-M5), 5 (E-M5 II) or 6.5 (E-M1) frames per second has been working very well for me.
I find - surprisingly or not - a large number of frames are in focus.

In the first two pictures a kid was playing behind a solid wooden fence so that I couldn't see what he was doing.
But he certainly managed to get the ball into the basket.

Now some bicycle and bike riders.

E-M1 + 75-300/4.8-6.7 II

mazor

the Butterfly's in the sakuras are really quite beautiful k-hawinkler as are all the images you have been posting.

Just wondering what kind of post processing are you applying to theses last set of images, as some seem grainy yet others seems a little over noise processed and water color like?

k-hawinkler

the Butterfly's in the sakuras are really quite beautiful k-hawinkler as are all the images you have been posting.

Just wondering what kind of post processing are you applying to theses last set of images, as some seem grainy yet others seems a little over noise processed and water color like?
Many thanks mazor for your kind feedback and catching a problem.
Certainly the sharpening detail slider was too high in ACR.
Typically I rely entirely on Nik for that and don't use sharpening or noise reduction in ACR at all.
Maybe I should stick with Nik. There I can see better what I am doing. Thanks again.
I hope this is better although I am using ACR for sharpening and noise reduction. :eek:

E-M5 + 42.5/1.2 Nocticron

Here is a higher resolution image. http://winklers.smugmug.com/2015-03-29-E-M542512-Nocticron/i-9QGnFgV/0/O/_3290055_E-M5_4608x3456.jpg