The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

full frame or APS-C DSLR or EVIL with 3:4 aspect ratio?

gebseng

Hi folks,

I have been using Olympus (micro) four thirds systems for the last couple of years as a second camera (along with my view camera / digital back setup) for architectural photography. The main reason for using this format is, believe it or not, that the sensors used by olympus have a 3:4 aspect ratio, unlike the 3:2 ratio of virtually all full frame and APS-C systems. This is important for me to match the 3:4 aspect ratio of my view camera.

I'd very much like to switch to a full frame or APS-C system (I don't really care if it's Sony A7, Nikon, Canon, Pentax or even Samsung NX), as I don't really need more than 16MP or so. The main reason being that for the m43 systems there are no wide angle (24mm equivalent or wider) shift lenses available, which would make my life easier.

But, after doing a quick research, it seems that even the most expensive full frame systems don't allow for cropping from the native 3:2 to the desired 3:4 format for raw shooting. Sony A7 has a 16:9 mode, Canon 5D MIII ditto, Nikon D810 has 5:4, Pentax K-S2 only 3:2, Samsung NX1 16:9 and 1:1.

I already thought of using masking tape on the camera's screen, but that doesn't really work with the user interface. Having the 3:4 view during shooting (and not only in post) is really important for me to compose the image, especially in portrait orientation.

If anybody is aware of a full frame or APS-C system camera model that allows for cropping to 3:4 while shooting raw, I would be thankful for your remarks,

best,

geb

daf

I have blacktapped all my Sony screen to 3x4 ratio...i still have the full image I the viewfinder for 1x2 ratio...working well for me

daf

Choosing the sensor size will depend how wide you want to go....and keep the size small

Sony a7r +tse+good mf shift lenses is a killer machine for production work.. I love the high(400/800iso instead of 25-2stop for centerfilter) iso possibilities. Files are clean enough for a double page(magazine)... tse and this Sony make an very efficient but so boring combo!

And almost the same size as my cambo+digitar+leaf....

I'm actually shooting a lot with a sony a6000+tsadapter+24and50olympus and this combo is much more fun to use than the other one.

If you need wider there is few option for example canon 16-35f4+Ts adapter+apsc give you a ff equivalent of 24-50 with 10mm on all the range...this lense can also be used in Ff with some shift2/3mm at both extremity and+8mm at 24mm but then again you end up with something similar in size as a Mf or FF set up.

I just bought a old tamron17sp for the a6000techcam�� but it looks pretty bad, I'll try to see how the Olympus 18 or the nikkor 18 ....

Regarding 4/3 then it is worst, to keep the cam as small as possible you'll probably have to stick with 50mm FF equivalent...

gebseng

Choosing the sensor size will depend how wide you want to go....and keep the size small

I'm actually shooting a lot with a sony a6000+tsadapter+24and50olympus and this combo is much more fun to use than the other one.

If you need wider there is few option for example canon 16-35f4+Ts adapter+apsc give you a ff equivalent of 24-50 with 10mm on all the range...this lense can also be used in Ff with some shift2/3mm at both extremity and+8mm at 24mm but then again you end up with something similar in size as a Mf or FF set up.
thanks daf, that sounds interesting! Can you have 3:4 live view with the a6000? Also, which TS adapter are you using that gives you electronic control (aperture, focus) with the Canon 16-35/f4?

best,

geb