The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What 10 to 12mm Wide Angle on the G1?

I am looking for a short wide angle. While there is plenty of information on normal and long lenses on this and other fora. there is not much on extreme wide angles, corresponding to a 20 or 24mm FF lens. The only lenses I saw mentioned are the 12mm/5.6 Voigtländer and the 9.8mm/1.8 Kinoptik Tegea

The Voigtländer is slow, I would like at least a 2.8; the Tegea, which I own, is too heavy (1.5kg = 3 lbs) and bulky for normal hand-held use.

On ebay one can find numerous 10 to 12mm Cine lenses for 16mm movie film, mainly in C-mount, such as the Kern Switars. Has anyone used one of these lenses on the G1? will they cover the whole sensor area? What are the results?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Terry

I'm waiting to see what the Panny 7-14 is going to weigh in at. I have the CV12 but the 14-45 lens is small enough and as fast so I have been using the kit for the moment.

Brian Mosley

ZD 9-18 for now... lumix 7-14 to checkout soon (April?)

The ZD 11-22 f2.8-3.5 is a little faster, but no CDAF and a bit bulky & heavy for the G1.

Kind Regards

Brian

monza

I don't think there are 16mm cine lenses of that focal length that cover the sensor, most likely 35mm cine but you've got the one already.

I sure wish Pana or Oly would come out with a 10mm prime...

monza

Here is a shot from an 8.5mm f/1.5 cine lens, cost me about $20, new.

The 'MacBook' logo was about an inch from the front of the lens. :) Taken at f/1.5.

monza

The lens doesn't fit onto the c mount adapter quite close enough, so it can't focus to infinity. Makes for an interesting fisheye-style macro, though. :) Will do some machining for a proper fit.

back alley

terry, have you tried the cv 12 on the g1 at all?
just wondering what you think.

i am getting itchy for something wider and a 24 mm equivalent might just do it.

joe

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
terry, have you tried the cv 12 on the g1 at all?
just wondering what you think.

i am getting itchy for something wider and a 24 mm equivalent might just do it.

joe

Joe - this was done with the CV 12 - It works well for the G1. I bought it for my RD-1.

Keith

back alley

thanks.
i'm thinking of getting one so i can have a 24.
most of my shooting is out on the street so the slow speed won't be a great hardship.

joe

woodyspedden

although it is a little outside the range discussed here i am anxious to try the 21 elmarit on my G1 (which i should have any moment now). The 21 elmarit is a bit of an orphan since most folks use the WATE in this range. You rarely see posts about it. However I find it a really nice rendering lens and look forward to trying it on the G1. Obviously the crop factor is a big issue but the only real alternative is the CV 12. I look forward to creating some comparison shots

Woody

scho

I'm a bit concerned about performance of the M mount wides on the G1 after reading Reid's review and also looking closely at some of my G1 images taken with wide M mount lenses. The CV 12 looks fine and the CV 15 also has minimal distortion, but the 20's seem to be problematic. Here is a corner shot on both the G1 and M8 using the same Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 Biogon lens. 100% crops of the lower right corner. Notice the severe distortion and maze artifact in the G1 image. Center is fine.

jonoslack

I'm with Brian on this one
The Olympus 9-18 is a gem on the G1 (I don't have the G1 anymore, but I still have the lens).
It autofocuses, it's small, it's cheap(ish) and the results are stellar.
why not?

back alley

not really cheaper if i have to factor in the panasonic adapter.

i like the idea of the 7-14 but if it's priced like the oly then it's out of my budget range.
if sigma makes a m4/3 10-20 that would be in the running for sure.

L

Lupo

I'm a bit concerned about performance of the M mount wides on the G1 after reading Reid's review....
What graphics program do you have these mazes?
I mean, these errors are only in certain programs.

I'm with Brian on this one
The Olympus 9-18 is a gem on the G1 (I don't have the G1 anymore, but I still have the lens).It autofocuses, it's small, it's cheap(ish) and the results are stellar.
What adapter do you need for it to work on the G1?

The only sample pictures I saw were on this Japanese site http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2008/12/11/9815.html and did not seem very sharp.

Where your and Brian's results better?

Thanks
Peter

scho

What graphics program do you have these mazes?
I mean, these errors are only in certain programs.
Yes, the maze artifact is only generated in Lightroom. Processing with Silkypix or Raw Developer does not produce the maze pattern. The edge and corner distortion is lens specific and not corrected by software.

monza

The DC Watch site has published very interesting G1-related material in the past few weeks.

The Oly 9-18 looks pretty good to me, and $450 (new, ebay) is not bad at all. Ideally I'd prefer the 7-14 Lumix lens with OIS and f/4 at all focal lengths, and no need for an adapter. But this looks like a lot better option than the 12mm VC lens, at least to me, in all ways except size.