The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What 10 to 12mm Wide Angle on the G1?

monza

Well, I don't understand Japanese, but the photos and captions are pretty self-explanatory, and Google translation helps somewhat with the balance. :)

Although I did find this particular translation interesting.

"Dementia occurs at a preview piece in the finished adapter."

また完成したアダプターで試写したところ片ボケが発生。

m3photo

Re: 7-14 Lumix lens with OIS

Ideally I'd prefer the 7-14 Lumix lens with OIS and f/4 at all focal lengths, and no need for an adapter.
Hmm, methinks the Lumix 7-14 will not include OIS although a constant f4 is pretty certain.

back alley

need to think some more about the oly 9-18 plus panasonic adapter.
i doubt that i will be able to afford the lumix 7-14.

or maybe i just to be satisfied with the 28 end of the kit zoom.

T

terryc

I'm with Brian on this one
The Olympus 9-18 is a gem on the G1 (I don't have the G1 anymore, but I still have the lens).
It autofocuses, it's small, it's cheap(ish) and the results are stellar.
why not?
I am with Jono. I realize this lens requires the 4/3 adapter which is pricey, but the 9-18 is in my opinion better on the G1 than on the Oly bodies including E3/E30. The lens is an F4 and viewing in an optical vf is dim. This is not a problem with the G1 EVF. The 9/18 is small and even with the adapter it fits nicely on the G1. As Jono points out the IQ is stellar. As Jono says - why not?

Best regards. Terry.

m3photo

Re: Will do some machining for a proper fit

The lens doesn't fit onto the c mount adapter quite close enough, so it can't focus to infinity. Makes for an interesting fisheye-style macro, though. :) Will do some machining for a proper fit.
Is it the Cosmicar 8.5mm f/1.5? Any luck with getting more focus from it? Makes for a fun self-portrait rig with the fold-out LCD screen - although not too flattering apparently!
Lumix G1 + Cosmicar 8.5mm f/1.5 - 1/100 @ f/16 ISO 100

Brian Mosley

I am with Jono. I realize this lens requires the 4/3 adapter which is pricey, but the 9-18 is in my opinion better on the G1 than on the Oly bodies including E3/E30. The lens is an F4 and viewing in an optical vf is dim. This is not a problem with the G1 EVF. The 9/18 is small and even with the adapter it fits nicely on the G1. As Jono points out the IQ is stellar. As Jono says - why not?

Best regards. Terry.
Yes, I'm with Jono too... oh wait, this is a circular reference! good to know there's lots of agreement here...

Anyhow, the ZD 9-18 with 4/3rds adapter is currently the best solution for UWA on the G1, and we'll know how the Lumix 7-14 compares soon. I took the 9-18 with me to Focus on Imaging yesterday - using it on the E-520 for the built in stabilisation, while remaining very lightweight.

Here are a few snapshots, all at 9mm, f4 (I love UWA)

Who needs small? buy a cannon for your canon! :ROTFL:

I was curious about this stand... sensor cleaning? what's that for? :ROTFL:

Couldn't get anywhere near the model... what a rugby scrum! ah well, with 9mm you can wave in the general direction and get a reasonably framed shot :p

...and if that doesn't work, think laterally and shoot between the scrum's legs :D

Do you do trade-ins?

...and yes, for me - small is beautiful.

Kind Regards

Brian

Diane B

I know I'm a bit of a cheapskate over this, but even though I'd rather like to add the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor giving me some more flexibility for other lenses (including possibly the 9-18), extension tubes, etc, I'm really not wanting to pay a premium for it. The $169.95 from Panasonic is bad enough, but most other places are asking upwards to over $200 (USD) for it. I'm on the B & H list for it at $139.95--but its been OS for a good while there. I've read that jinfinance on ebay is going to have one in March-which should be less--but is there a reason this one is both not available from anyone else--and is demanding a premium (guessing its because of supply and demand)?

Diane

monza

Diane, the Panasonic DMW-MA1 has electrical contacts, unlike the other adapters, so that AF works (with some) of the 4/3 lenses, so the camera can sense the focal length, etc. Interesting that RJ says he'll do his own version!

If you need one, order from Bill Wilby from this forum, that's where I got mine:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5302

Brian Mosley

I know I'm a bit of a cheapskate over this, but even though I'd rather like to add the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor giving me some more flexibility for other lenses (including possibly the 9-18), extension tubes, etc, I'm really not wanting to pay a premium for it. The $169.95 from Panasonic is bad enough, but most other places are asking upwards to over $200 (USD) for it. I'm on the B & H list for it at $139.95--but its been OS for a good while there. I've read that jinfinance on ebay is going to have one in March-which should be less--but is there a reason this one is both not available from anyone else--and is demanding a premium (guessing its because of supply and demand)?

Diane
I know Diane, it's a scandalous price... but the 4/3rds adapter was an essential part of the G1 for me - I didn't want to be limited in IQ to the Lumix kit lens.

I hadn't considered the 'active' element of the Panasonic adapter - I suppose we'll be stuck with the official part to guarantee compatibility... guess I don't feel so bad about laying down the cash now, I was expecting a cheap chinese clone any day now.

Kind Regards

Brian