The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Take off UV/IR filters or not?

gDallasK

There are a number of references in this forum to the use of the UV/IR filters on the G1 with Leica lenses. Anyone have a firm view about this? I'd prefer to avoid removing and replacing if possible. It makes my G1 / M8 excursions seem like hard work!

Last edited:

kweide

The only reason to have one mounted is to protect the frontlens against any scratches or other harms...
All modern lenses are coated and do not need to have additional UV filters...unless you need special filters for special effects... :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The only reason to have one mounted is to protect the frontlens against any scratches or other harms...
All modern lenses are coated and do not need to have additional UV filters...unless you need special filters for special effects... :)
I believe gDallasK is asking about the IR filters that we use for IR filtration on our M8's. I don't know the answer because I have mostly stopped using the IR filters on my M8. I would use them if I was going to a wedding or event where I thought I was going to encounter a lot of black/synthetic fibers, but in everyday use, I have stopped. The side benefit is that I don't have to hassle with them when switching the lens to the G1. I hope someone who still uses M8 w/IR filters and G!, can answer your question further.

V

vanhulsenbeek

I believe gDallasK is asking about the IR filters that we use for IR filtration on our M8's. I don't know the answer because I have mostly stopped using the IR filters on my M8. I would use them if I was going to a wedding or event where I thought I was going to encounter a lot of black/synthetic fibers, but in everyday use, I have stopped. The side benefit is that I don't have to hassle with them when switching the lens to the G1. I hope someone who still uses M8 w/IR filters and G!, can answer your question further.
I tried yesterday with the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm. No difference visible in Silkypix for either with or without UV/IR filter. Could very well be because the sensor lies within the circle of visible interference. But I still have to try in front of a white wall. Will post here.

Maybe also Sean Reid will say something in his upcoming G1 review Part II.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well,
IMO, if you don't need them for infrared blocking purposes, than take them off.
There are the usual problems associated with any filter which include risk of flare, reflections, ghosts, and so forth.
The special case of interference-caused color cast in the corners would be mostly visible in the corners of the longer lenses. The WATE is a retro-focus design and has a more normal angle of incidence than say a 12mm CV.
That one, would be the acid test.
-bob

gDallasK

I'm aware of the flare issues but I've always had a preference for protecting expensive glass with a (relatively) inexpensive filter so lenses for my other camera systems all have a UV filter.

So far as the M8 is concerned, I know this is a highly subjective - and quite possibly flat out mistaken - view but I have always felt that foliage is rendered better with the UV/IR filters in place. And then there's the well know issue of black being rendered as magenta.

So for protection and colour rendering all of my Leica M fit lenses are equipped with a UV/IR filter. Has anyone observed any colour shifts or other effects using them on the G1? I could rapidly get tired of removing the filter every time I switched a lens from the M8 to the G1 .......

scho

I'm aware of the flare issues but I've always had a preference for protecting expensive glass with a (relatively) inexpensive filter so lenses for my other camera systems all have a UV filter.

So far as the M8 is concerned, I know this is a highly subjective - and quite possibly flat out mistaken - view but I have always felt that foliage is rendered better with the UV/IR filters in place. And then there's the well know issue of black being rendered as magenta.

So for protection and colour rendering all of my Leica M fit lenses are equipped with a UV/IR filter. Has anyone observed any colour shifts or other effects using them on the G1? I could rapidly get tired of removing the filter every time I switched a lens from the M8 to the G1 .......
I didn't see any difference with UV/IR cut filters on/off with the G1 on my lenses.

sangio

I didn't see any difference with UV/IR cut filters on/off with the G1 on my lenses.
FWIW.... A couple of years ago, I bought a Rodenstock IR cutoff filter to use with my Sony R1 thinking it would give me more accurate greens, and minimize the tendency of this camera to clip the red channel. It did neither.
Plus, I got a very nasty greenish/cyanish tinge in the corners at wideangles. It didn't disappear until I had zoomed out past 50 mm equiv.

I've attached a sample with and without the filter, taken at 14.3 mm FL, 24 mm equivalent. Note the bottom corners.

regards
Santo