The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No L-Plate for G1 from RRS

m3photo

Asked them if their universal model fitted the G1 and whether they would make one specifically for it and they kindly replied the following:

"Well, we don't know if our MC-L fits your G1! We don't have that camera in hand, so I can't tell you for sure. I did attach the schematic for our MC-L plate; perhaps you could sit down with a ruler in hand and try to determine if it will fit? I am sorry, but we don't have any current plans to make a custom L-plate for your camera."

The above mentioned schematic can be found here:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=MC-L&eq=MCL-001&Tp=
and scroll down to where it says:
Want to check exact dimensions to see if your body can use our MC-L plate? Dowload this PDF.

Diane B

After someone else mentioned it, I realized it would be difficult (not impossible) to make an L for the G1. I'm used to using Ls on tripod so thought about it for vertical panos. I tried the G1 (with a Wimberley AS plate) with the RRS 192 PPPlus rail, etc., with my Markins BH, leveled it and dropped it to the side. Worked out quite well and didn't take much more time than with an L--just a bit more awkward.

Diane

m3photo

As the universal one's $105 plus s/h I might just go ahead and grind down the dovetailing off the one I have for the 5D. It's a bit wide on the G1 but will fit if the long side is flattened.

httivals

Reviving this old thread -- has anyone tried the RRS MC-L plate on the G1? I would use it with the G1 when doing panoramics. Thanks!

sangio

Reviving this old thread -- has anyone tried the RRS MC-L plate on the G1? I would use it with the G1 when doing panoramics. Thanks!
Has anyone tried the Acractech Universal "L" bracket with a G1? http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=71
I had a look at the RRS plate a while back, and determined that it would partially block the opening of the LCD. I haven't looked at the Acratech.
I think both would work if you left the LCD opened and facing outward against the camera body.

If you're interested in panoramic photography, you can get a proper pano head for not a whole lot more than these L brackets, and you can position the lens more precisely for rotation around the entrance pupil.

Here's a link to an earlier thread on this topic..

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5434

regards
Santo

m3photo

Re: No L-Plate for G1 from RRS - But ...

It seems they're waking up. They're advertising an L-Plate for the GF1. Due soon (sic) - called the BGF1-L. I wonder if it will double up as one for the plain ol' G1?

K

Kirby Krieger

Hi. Does anyone make an L-Plate which fits the G1? Are there alternatives to an L-plate which provide the same or similar functionality?

Thanks.