The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 : Problem with "maze pattern" artefacts with 3rd Party lenses

gDallasK

I have read several references on forums to maze pattern artefacts appearing (usually on the right side of images) in RAW output from the G1. Mine seemed okay - until I started to use my Leica and Voigtlander lenses attached via a couple of Chinese adapters. Trying each of my lenses, this is what I found :

12 CV Ultrawide Heliar - Severe
16-18-21 WATE - Some
28 Elmarit - Quite Severe
35 Summicron ASPH - Some
50 CV Nokton - Little
75 Summarit - None
90 Summicron - None

Each was tested at f8 focused at infinity on the sky. Retesting my Elmarit at every aperture produced no discernable difference in artefacts.

I tested the 12mm lens attached vie scre and bayonet adapter - no difference. The kit 14-45 is fine, as is the 45-200. I also tested a 25mm Olympius pancake with the Pany adapter. No problem.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Here is an example of the arefacting (enlarged!). In Lightroom it starts to be visible on screen at 1:1 or greater enlargement.

Last edited:

gDallasK

I just reloaded Silkypix (which I truly hate!) and ran a couple of the images through that. The artefacts are not visible.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of a solution to my immediate problem. However, I still don't understand :

- why the problem only shows up with some lenses and not others;

- what Silkypix is doing that CS4 / Lightroom can't deal with;

- why the artefacts only appear in one part of the image.

In in the short term, I suppose I'll need to spend a little more quality time with SilkyPix (sound of grinding teeth). But I'll keep hoping for a better solution, and soon.

jonoslack

I just reloaded Silkypix (which I truly hate!) and ran a couple of the images through that. The artefacts are not visible.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of a solution to my immediate problem. However, I still don't understand :

- why the problem only shows up with some lenses and not others;

- what Silkypix is doing that CS4 / Lightroom can't deal with;

- why the artefacts only appear in one part of the image.

In in the short term, I suppose I'll need to spend a little more quality time with SilkyPix (sound of grinding teeth). But I'll keep hoping for a better solution, and soon.
HI There
When I was doing evaluations of Lightroom and Aperture the conclusion I came to was that Adobe are not very careful with their demosaicing of less common cameras - of course, it's only a suspicion, but I didn't feel they dealt with either the Olympus cameras or the M8 terribly well - now I don't think they manage the Sony A900 very well - I'm sure that if you're mainstream and stick with Nikon and Canon, then they do a grand job.

jklotz

I get similar distortion with my cambo wds and phase 1 combo when shifted to extremes. Capture One has a little check box called "pattern noise suppression" which fixes it every time. I hope capture 1 supports G1 files soon, it's my favorite raw processor.

gDallasK

Well, looking on the bright side, I don't need to send the G1 back to Panasonic to get it fixed! It would have been nice if I'd been able to get rid of the "vertical green line" problem on my M8 by changing my RAW processing software, rather than a round trip to Solms!

Regards,

Geoff

Terry

Geoff,
I don't have a link or email address but it is probably worth sending the crops to Adobe so the Lightroom team can have a look. Also, Michael Reichman just got his adapter and will use it with Leica lenses. He also has inroads to the Lightroom Development team so that might be another direction to reach out.

http://luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/ (in case the page changes here is the text):

I have just received my order from CameraQuest of a Leica M to Micro 4/3 adaptor for the Panasonic G1. I'll have an initial report soon, but my first impressions are that this adaptor really is an exciting option for owners of Leica M mount lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I get similar distortion with my cambo wds and phase 1 combo when shifted to extremes. Capture One has a little check box called "pattern noise suppression" which fixes it every time. I hope capture 1 supports G1 files soon, it's my favorite raw processor.
Me too , hoping for C1 support it

barjohn

I haven't seen this on any pictures yet but I haven't played enough with my other lenses. I can tell you that prints in 4 x 6 of even ISO 1600 look pretty good. Much better than on the screen. I just printed about 150 images I took at my step son's wedding and I was surprised at how good they looked.