The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G7, the under-the-radar camera

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I consider buying a m4/3 camera again. The story is this:

I have a Nikon D810 that I'm very satisfied with. It will be my main camera for a long time. I also have a D700 that I planned to use as a backup for the D810, but that plan has never materialised for the following reasons:

- It's as big and heavy as the D810.
- The D810 is superior in almost every area.
- It doesn't address the shortcomings of the D810, mainly the lack of an EVF for video but also the video functionality as such.
- It's noisy (I'm spoiled)

When the G7 was launched a few weeks ago, I hardly noticed, until my pushers made me aware of the fact that it's really a simplified, half price GH4 in a smaller, lighter plastic shell. The long spec list includes 4K video, peaking etc. and it weighs in at just over 400g.

Then this was launched yesterday:

Metabones®

It reduces the crop factor for the G7 (If it's approved by Metabones. They haven't tested it yet, but the G6 was approved.) to 1.28x for photography and 1.5x for video. My Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AiS will become a 64mm eqv. f/0.8.

I could of course have gone Sony with an A6000 or a second hand A7 even, but Panasonic ergonomics are much better plus I would like to have 4K plus I would like to use the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens.

First, I have to sell the D700.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Haha,

great to get you back into m43 again! I was sure it would happen sooner or later :D

I have similar considerations in the opposite direction, after shooting exclusively m43 (EM1 plus pro glass) which I am very satisfied with, I bought back into Nikon 2 months ago with the lovely Df and 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 - two really excellent while same time cheap lenses. And will either expand with D7200 or later D810.

But the IQ coming from the FF Df is just from another galaxy and far above from whatever I get from my EM1. Nevertheless I am pretty sure that the G7 is a wonderful and very capable camera, especially when it comes to video.

Interestingly enough my wife asked me recently to start making videos from my daughter and I told her that the Df cannot do video. She was surprised and is now taking my EM1 as video camera - with great results BTW. But maybe a G7 with a 14-140 or similar would just be perfect for her.

All the best

Peter

V

Vivek

I consider buying a m4/3 camera again. The story is this:

I have a Nikon D810 that I'm very satisfied with. It will be my main camera for a long time. I also have a D700 that I planned to use as a backup for the D810, but that plan has never materialised for the following reasons:

- It's as big and heavy as the D810.
- The D810 is superior in almost every area.
- It doesn't address the shortcomings of the D810, mainly the lack of an EVF for video but also the video functionality as such.
- It's noisy (I'm spoiled)

When the G7 was launched a few weeks ago, I hardly noticed, until my pushers made me aware of the fact that it's really a simplified, half price GH4 in a smaller, lighter plastic shell. The long spec list includes 4K video, peaking etc. and it weighs in at just over 400g.

Then this was launched yesterday:

Metabones®

It reduces the crop factor for the G7 (If it's approved by Metabones. They haven't tested it yet, but the G6 was approved.) to 1.28x for photography and 1.5x for video. My Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AiS will become a 64mm eqv. f/0.8.

I could of course have gone Sony with an A6000 or a second hand A7 even, but Panasonic ergonomics are much better plus I would like to have 4K plus I would like to use the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens.

First, I have to sell the D700.
First off, a huge improvement over the earlier G models.

The sensor is actually in a proper housing and not on a flex strip!:clap:

Even if you stand upside down in the midst of a Tsunami, the m43rd performance will never come close to that of a FF sensor. I fail to see your reasoning.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
First off, a huge improvement over the earlier G models.

The sensor is actually in a proper housing and not on a flex strip!:clap:

Even if you stand upside down in the midst of a Tsunami, the m43rd performance will never come close to that of a FF sensor. I fail to see your reasoning.
I will always carry the D810, but there are situations when this camera will do the job better:

- When shooting video
- When I need more reach
- When I need a second body
- If I need to be very stealthy (smaller body with silent, electronic shutter)
- If I need extremely fast shutter speeds (the G7 does 1/16,000s)
- If I need extreme fps (the G7 does 30 fps at 8 MP for half an hour, 8 fps at 16 MP)
- When I need to shoot at awkward angles (the G7 features a fully articulated LCD)
- If something happens to the D810

Although the D810 will generally be a much better performer, particularly for stills, the Panasonic with the Speed Booster will be shooting one ISO stop lower, taking care of some of the difference.

hot

Congratulations for your (soon) G7 :)
I also would buy it, buuuut I have a GH4 (excellent!)

My decision - half size & half price - I made with NX500 contra NX1

Large cameras & equipment are for bodybuilders ;-)

I always thought that a M4/3 and a full frame camera made a perfect pair. A smaller M4/3 body and high quality primes as your everyday camera and the full frame, also with high quality primes, for more demanding shoots.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I talked with Metabones, and they still haven't tested the Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster XL 0.64x (what a name!?!) with the G7. They did tell be though that it works fine with the GH1, which I still have, so I'll buy the speed booster first, to test it out, and then go for the G7 later. At the moment, I don't even think the camera is available.

retow

Congratulations for your (soon) G7 :)
I also would buy it, buuuut I have a GH4 (excellent!)

My decision - half size & half price - I made with NX500 contra NX1

Large cameras & equipment are for bodybuilders ;-)
Nah, for orthopedic patients;)