The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

surprised you G1'ers haven't been talking about this

R

Ranger 9

Pff, only six lenses? Vivek uses more different lenses than that on his G1 on any given day...

...seriously, I don't think there's any need to read too much into this little photo. With an officially-supported 4/3>M4/3 adapter plus all the other third-party adapters coming into the pipeline, Panasonic may simply be trying to make the point that you can use a lot of different lenses on their camera.

kevinparis

hmmm... don't quite buy that... after all Panasonic want to sell users lenses. They have no real interest in third party lenses.

My theory is that the brief to the ad agency was to make it look like there were more lenses available and a graphic artis had some fun

The big one on the far right just looks wrong size wise... unless of course they are planning a 10mm f1 lens

:)

Brian Mosley

I really think there's more to it than that... it wouldn't surprise me at all that these lenses are coming sooner rather than later.

Panasonic are taking m4/3rds very seriously indeed. I suspect they know what's coming out of their sensor labs ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

monza

What would surprise me would be if they *weren't* working on other lenses. Looking forward to the announcements from both Pana and Oly next month. :)

kevinparis

Oh I am sure they are working on other lenses... but coming from the business world i have worked in - a certain fruit named technology company, a reveal like this wouldn't happen. They dont talk about future products - and certainly any uncoordinated hint of future products would result in severe nailing of soft fleshy parts of someone to the nearest tree :)

Obviously the camera world works different

monza

Well, we all know how Jobs likes to control the releases. But these aren't really leaks. Interchangeable lens cameras are expected to have a variety of lenses...now it would be a different story if the ad showed specifics like a 25mm Macro or something.

kevinparis

yeah ranger... until recently I was VP in charge of even page numbering... apparently now all Peachpit books will only have odd numbered pages.... damn.... here comes a scary looking dude from PR with a nail gun :)

Will I ever learn ?

etrigan63

Oh I am sure they are working on other lenses... but coming from the business world i have worked in - a certain fruit named technology company, a reveal like this wouldn't happen. They dont talk about future products - and certainly any uncoordinated hint of future products would result in severe nailing of soft fleshy parts of someone to the nearest tree :)

Obviously the camera world works different
Actually Kevin, it's Apple that is different. The RDF (Reality Distortion Field) surrounding Cupertino is legendary. I have dealt with the tech sector from a "new media" perspective for years and getting Apple to talk is more difficult than phlebotomy on a phone. The photographic industry is quite progressive in the use of "leaked" rumors to the new media to generate buzz.

J

JCdeR

Actually Kevin, it's Apple that is different. The RDF (Reality Distortion Field) surrounding Cupertino is legendary. I have dealt with the tech sector from a "new media" perspective for years and getting Apple to talk is more difficult than phlebotomy on a phone. The photographic industry is quite progressive in the use of "leaked" rumors to the new media to generate buzz.
Make no mistake about it, Apple makes use of the same principle it makes use of a small, perhaps even untrue leak and leaves it up to their huge base of fan-boys to do the rest. It's free publicity creates the hype and reaches 99,9% of of their target for the respective product. Job' secrecy towards new introductions is legendary and false, it's part of apple' "instrument" and working methods towards new releases.
It works very well and creates a great hype than the actual introduction itself with all the guru's in line to shed their views upon the public. Very well thought out, and very effective.

Ben Rubinstein

With PMA only a few weeks away and Oly's contribution assumed to be unveiled (more than the mock up!) I'm actually quite excited. I didn't find the G1 that small when I played with it, not enough for a 'carry everywhere' camera. Hoping the future looks good!

etrigan63

Make no mistake about it, Apple makes use of the same principle it makes use of a small, perhaps even untrue leak and leaves it up to their huge base of fan-boys to do the rest. It's free publicity creates the hype and reaches 99,9% of of their target for the respective product. Job' secrecy towards new introductions is legendary and false, it's part of apple' "instrument" and working methods towards new releases.
It works very well and creates a great hype than the actual introduction itself with all the guru's in line to shed their views upon the public. Very well thought out, and very effective.
Tactical misdirection is used by all companies. Trying to get real facts out of Apple even after the announcement is tough. Don't me wrong, I love using my Mac, but getting review samples from Apple usually involves a credit card and a trip to the Apple Store. I had to ask permission from the Apple Press Corps to cover the Leopard Launch at one of my local Apple Stores (Miami has three).

monza

Job' secrecy towards new introductions is legendary and false, .
google 'Apple sues websites leak'

It's very tough to get to the level where one can get seeded with pre-release products. Apple enforces their non-disclosure agreements. Those that are seeded realize the monetary value it represents and therefore keep a lid on things. I can think of several announcements in the recent past that were complete surprises.