The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the mZuiko 2.8/7-14 Pro lens

dhsimmonds

I shot this scene as a test shot within hours of getting the lens. It is as it came from camera, no cropping and is just a mundane test shot of three of my ten grandchildren watching TV at home. The light was appalling as it was late evening and the room lights came on automatically when light drops to a low level. As it was a test shot I decided not to use flash!

Attachments

dhsimmonds

It's like most extreme wide angle lenses, you need to be very close to the prime subject to see the best that the lens can achieve. I am pleased with the edge to edge sharpness even though in reality when using the widest angle one might prefer to crop the edges a bit. The lens follows the other mZuiko Pro zooms in build quality, weatherproof, dust proof and with close focusing ring. It is however a bit lighter than I imagined it might be as it is a big lump of glass!

mazor

Hmm instead of cropping the edges, why not just use some of that optical zoom, and frame it correctly to start with?

Keep posting more image samples with the 7-14 :)

dhsimmonds

I was hoping that others might post some more images but here are a few more of the interior of a very simple rustic English Church. It is very old and serves a very small community and has been a Christian church since 985 and therefore pre-dates Winchester Cathedral, it's mother Church. As often happens in England, a previous Pagan church was on the same site and in fact the very well worn threshold stone is now used at the entrance to the bell tower which was built much later in the 13th century.P7050006[GetDPI].jpgP7050004[GetDPI]].jpgP7050009[GetDPI].jpg

A few other interesting facts: The rural area outside the church was used as a rallying point before several battles over the ages ie Agincourt in Medieval times when the bowmen (archers) were recruited from the local New Forest area and also again in the second world war in 1944 when Allied troops (mainly Canadians but with some South Africans and Americans billeted locally rallied to receive there leaders pep talks before embarkation to fight in Europe. This was an act that was repeated in many towns and villages throughout the UK.
So nothing changes very much sometimes in history.

The most interesting fact for Get DPI members, is that fellow member MATIX has also visited this church with myself and found some interesting facts of personal interest!:LOL:

ggibson

Just curious, what are the filter options for this and the Panasonic 7-14 since they don't accept traditional flat-filters? I would think that this is a bit of a deal-breaker for some on these lenses (why I originally opted for the 9-18mm), but since they've been out for a few years, maybe some solutions have surfaced.

dhsimmonds

Just curious, what are the filter options for this and the Panasonic 7-14 since they don't accept traditional flat-filters? I would think that this is a bit of a deal-breaker for some on these lenses (why I originally opted for the 9-18mm), but since they've been out for a few years, maybe some solutions have surfaced.
Yes it is the reason that I didn't go for the Panny 7-14 although some of the images that I have seen taken with that lens always left me feeling that I wanted one! For protection the answer is as given by others, i.e. to replace the lens cap (which snap fits over the hood and is supplied) immediately after taking an image or images. For polarisers or other filter effects then many of the traditional filter manufacturers now also produce a frame and filters for m4/3rds lenses no different to using an SLR in fact. For most requirements though PP in photoshop or Lightroom or other PP programs
will do the same job. However I still consider that nothing can really replace a good polariser!

dhsimmonds

I have successfully used a UWA lens (Carl Zeiss) for flower photography before, so when I spotted my wife Janet's lovely Lilly bloom I couldn't resist the temptation to try again with the mZuiko 7-14

P8260018adj.jpg

ripcurl1169M

7mm F2.8 ISO200 with EM5 Mark II

7mm F2.8 ISO200 with EM5 Mark II

7mm F6.3 ISO200 with EM5 Mark II

7mm F3.2 ISO200 with EM5 Mark II

scott kirkpatrick

Have you ever wondered what a 7 mm lens does when REALLY close?

Here are two Halloween potatoes focused manually at a distance of 0.2 m, 7mm focal length, f/5.6. Yes, potatoes, as whole pumpkins were not available in the local stores.

PB010111 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and here's a more normal distance of about two feet. Camera held inverted against the car ceiling above the back of the front seat, but the picture came out right side up. This might be competitive with GoPro for video in a tight space.

PA310087 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Re: New Railroad bridge to Jerusalem,

completed now (on this side at least) sweeps past the 9-11 memorial and a vast graveyard into a hillside where it tunnels under the main highway into the gate of the city.

PC050242 Panorama by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

(click for larger image)
I could get everything in at 7 mm focal length but I prefer this three-shot panorama taken with 14 mm focal length .

scott