The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the EM5 2 wifi to compose shots

I've been following that Air thread with interest.

It prompted me to consider upgrading my EM5 to a version 2 which has wifi.

Previous forum posters, for other cameras I admit, have been dubious at the reliability and ease of setup when it comes to wifi to a phone or tablet.

Is there anyone around here using a version 2 EM5 and a tablet to compose and shoot images?

Tony

Annna T

I've been following that Air thread with interest.

It prompted me to consider upgrading my EM5 to a version 2 which has wifi.

Previous forum posters, for other cameras I admit, have been dubious at the reliability and ease of setup when it comes to wifi to a phone or tablet.

Is there anyone around here using a version 2 EM5 and a tablet to compose and shoot images?

Tony
I have linked it to an iPad Air (with a width of 2048 pixels) : setting up the camera link to the tablet is quite easy : the first time you link to the tablet you see one of those numeric squared graph on the back if the LCD, you photograph it with your tablet and you are asked a password which also figure on the camera LCD. once you have done it, the tablet will remember the camera network and link to it automatically provided you have exited of any other network and the camera network is available. I didn't check how far you can go from the camera with your tablet, but you don't need to be right near.

I have used the Olympus app as a remote. You can frame and adjust the main exposure parameter. You can also use touch focus on the tablet. You can get a high resolution JPEG to check focus. But given the limitation if using an iPad outdoor in daylight it won't necessarily be of much aid for precise focusing. I used it mainly to avoid shake on long exposures and with the highres mode.

You can also transfer pictures to the tablet.

I have no problems of the connection shutting down or returning to my usual network (just set the delay to camera sleep at your convenience). Unlike with other solution like the Canon 6D or worse those wifi SD cards.

Thanks Anna.

Am I right in thinking that you see the image in the whole of the tablet screen - not just in a section of it?

Tony

Annna T

Yes, if I remember correctly. I think you can even magnify the scene (not sure however). To be honest, it is something I tested when I got it several weeks ago and didn't use that much. Download the manual, there are not so many pages to read on the subject, you will get an easy sight of what can be done.