The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GX8

lambert

It's disabled when shooting 4K video, but apparently works with HD (as opposed to with the GX7 where it was disabled for all video). The reason is overheating. When IBIS is active, the sensor will be disconnected from any cooling ribs.
:D
Can't see why. The GX8 has a relatively large body given the small sensor. The Sony A7RII sensor is 4x larger and IBIS is active for 4k video.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Can't see why. The GX8 has a relatively large body given the small sensor. The Sony A7RII sensor is 4x larger and IBIS is active for 4k video.
This is the reason they gave for the GH3 and GH4 not having IBIS and for disabling it with the GX7. Sony may be using patented technology not available to Panasonic.

I assume also that the Sony only uses part of the sensor for video, the pixels necessary to create 4K files.

ggibson

The 4K shooting modes would make telephoto action shooting much easier when combined with pre-focusing. Just set your focal point, hit record, and then pick the frame that hit focus.

Not sure if Panasonic's DFD AF tech is fast enough to make pre-focusing obsolete, but at least that sort of technique works with Olympus lenses too.

DavidL

I'm wondering if the increased bulk may help alleviate the shutter bounce/blur situation. if it does I'm tempted, as I've ditched Fuji and looking for a set up for my agency work.
David

lambert

This is the reason they gave for the GH3 and GH4 not having IBIS and for disabling it with the GX7. Sony may be using patented technology not available to Panasonic.

I assume also that the Sony only uses part of the sensor for video, the pixels necessary to create 4K files.
I suspect it's old sensor tech in the GX8. The GX8 also uses only part of the sensor for 4K. In fact, the GX8 crop is even greater than that of the GH4 for 4K video.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I suspect it's old sensor tech in the GX8. The GX8 also uses only part of the sensor for 4K. In fact, the GX8 crop is even greater than that of the GH4 for 4K video.
Seems that the G7 is a stronger proposition for video then:

- 1.1x crop in 4K, 1.25x with the GX8
- 3.5mm microphone jack, 2.5mm on the GX8
- Two thirds of the price
- No information about compatibility with the 0.64x speed booster yet, but the G6 supported it while the GX7 didn't (the GX1 did)

If m4/3 were still my main setup, I would buy both, one with the main emphasis on photography and one for video. Total weight is 900g (less than my D810) and they use the same batteries. "Unfortunately", that will not be an option for me. The Nikon can do things that these can't, and monies aren't available in unlimited quantities. I must say that Panasonic has produced two excellent cameras here though, two of the best at this moment in time :)

Godfrey

Looking nice.

No intent to acquire one at all, however. My camera cup ran over, spilled onto the floor, filled the living room, and flooded the garden some time ago ...

I think I'll go process some film now. :)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Isn't this apparent crop difference because of the difference in pixel density (16 v 20) ... :confused:
Should be, yes. I haven't calculated it myself though. For some reason, the GH4 has a crop factor of 1.2x. The Cameralabs preview report tries to explain some of it.

Aaron

Very interesting move by panasonic, it's great to see some independent thinking, making a bigger camera than they needed too... one that may be usable in the real world.

Is anything known about the new sensor? The few extra pixels isn't a big deal but if it improves on the older sensors dynamic range then it's going to be a big hit.

serhan

Raws are available at
Quesabesde.com: GX8 First Samples

Very interesting move by panasonic, it's great to see some independent thinking, making a bigger camera than they needed too... one that may be usable in the real world.

Is anything known about the new sensor? The few extra pixels isn't a big deal but if it improves on the older sensors dynamic range then it's going to be a big hit.

Matix

Hi Phil, this is wonderful - very striking.

Thanks for sharing

Brian
Thanks Brian, in my travels I have used the feature many times, with some really interesting results. Using the 7-14 Lumix lens does distort the effect, but I think that just adds to the image.

Back in the UK in a couple of weeks, may more site to visit and see what I can do.

Phil