The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GX8

hot

The new GX8 camera will be announced aftertomorrow...on July 16!
Has 4K and LX100 alike design. But it also has on sensor image stabilization
and some other new features....

Panasonic will announce the new GX8 Micro Four Thirds camera on
Thursday July 16 at 5-6am London time. You can follow the live blogging
here on 43rumors. So far we heard the camera design is close to the
LX100 and obviously records 4K too. Sources said this is a camera
packing some brand new features and not a small evolution!

hot

– 20 Megapixel sensor
– Dual IS (on sensor and on lens working together)
– 2.36 million dot organic EL tilting EVF
– Dust and water resistant
– magnesium alloy body
– 4K Photo · 4K Video
– Free Angle 1.04 million dot organic EL monitor
– Wi-Fi, NFC, QR code connection
– Continuous shooting 8 frames / sec in the AF tracking
– Body color is black and silver

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-images-of-the-new-panasonic-fz300/

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is going to be a pretty perfect camera from the specs and finally 20MP !!!! I was hoping for this resolution in m43 land for long time, as it gives some more room to crop or just shoot 3:2 without sacrificing resolution too much. Perfect!!!

And overall the camera just looks great :D

This GX8 might make me get one together with the 1.2 42.5 Nocticron

I do hope that Olympus will come with a similar sensor in their next EM1 incarnation ;)

KUDOS - finally m43 is getting there!!!

ggibson

Neat looking camera, but hmmmm it's quite a bit bigger than the GX7. I guess they figure they have enough "small" cameras with the GF7 and GM5.

The features look impressive though! Finally a new m4/3 sensor, and if the dual image stabilization works as well as Olympus' models with 4K this will be a hot contender. With those specs, I'm expecting a >$1K price though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It will also be interesting to see if it can take the Speed Booster XL 0.64x. In that case, it's the perfect supplement/backup for my D810.

peterb

This is going to be a pretty perfect camera from the specs and finally 20MP !!!! I was hoping for this resolution in m43 land for long time, as it gives some more room to crop or just shoot 3:2 without sacrificing resolution too much. Perfect!!!

And overall the camera just looks great :D

This GX8 might make me get one together with the 1.2 42.5 Nocticron

I do hope that Olympus will come with a similar sensor in their next EM1 incarnation ;)

KUDOS - finally m43 is getting there!!!
After a year with the very capable but not so svelte Canon 6D I'm actually thinking about switching out for this camera (if I read leaked specs so far correctly) with a Nocticron and Leica 15mm f1.7.

Another camera I'm interested in is the Leica Q for its simplicity and IQ but the announcement in recent days about the possibility of this camera being on the horizon in what appears to be some major evolutionary design outside and in (the solid grip a la Sony, FULLY ARTICULATING LCD (YAY!) and solid body inside coupled with an internal stabilization and a can-this-really-be-happening 20 MP sensor finally inside and lets hope noise is well controlled by the sensor architecture) make for a compelling argument for this design over a Leica along with some decent savings to boot. Still the Q is full frame, AA less and the Leica PP color is quite lovely from the examples I've seen (all regrettable in light room I suppose!)

hot

from 43rumors

I got some ulterior GX8 specs from my sources:
ISO 100-25,600.
Electronic shutter 1/16000
Mechanical shutter 1/8000

– Newly developed 20.3MP Live MOS sensor
– Highest sensitivity ISO25600
– Newly developed Venus Engine
– 6 control camera shake correction system “Dual IS”
– Multi-process noise reduction, three-dimensional color control
– 4K Video · 4K photo (30fps)
– 4K photo three modes (4K burst, 4K burst start-stop, 4K pre-burst)
– Large of 2.36 million dot organic EL EVF. Contrast 10000: 1.
- Magnification 0.77 times
– The back of the monitor organic EL 104 万 dot.
-Free Angle
– Dust and water.
-The body is rugged magnesium alloy build
– More easy to hold grip
– High-speed AF which adopted the DFD.
- AF speed is 0.07 seconds
– Continuous shooting of AF tracking 6 frames / sec.
– Starlight AF corresponding to the darkness of the moonlight of -4EV
– Improved the stability of the video AF
– Maximum speed of mechanical shutter is 1/8000 seconds.
-1/16000 seconds with electronic shutter
– Silent shooting to use the electronic shutter
– Synchro speed is 1/250 sec

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After a year with the very capable but not so svelte Canon 6D I'm actually thinking about switching out for this camera (if I read leaked specs so far correctly) with a Nocticron and Leica 15mm f1.7.

Another camera I'm interested in is the Leica Q for its simplicity and IQ but the announcement in recent days about the possibility of this camera being on the horizon in what appears to be some major evolutionary design outside and in (the solid grip a la Sony, FULLY ARTICULATING LCD (YAY!) and solid body inside coupled with an internal stabilization and a can-this-really-be-happening 20 MP sensor finally inside and lets hope noise is well controlled by the sensor architecture) make for a compelling argument for this design over a Leica along with some decent savings to boot. Still the Q is full frame, AA less and the Leica PP color is quite lovely from the examples I've seen (all regrettable in light room I suppose!)
After looking for a while into the details of the Leica Q I must say it is VERY tempting. And I do not find the 28 such a limiting lens. But the price is - Leica like - just insane.

Now here comes the GX8 and if it somehow holds what it promises it should be in combination with the 1.7 15 a pretty nice substitute for the Q. Of course not FF, but on the other hand GX8 with lens should be less than half the price of the Q and you get a full system camera with interchangeable lenses. This new 20MP sensor should bring enough resolution finally to do some decent cropping if needed and if high ISO is good then you get a pretty interesting mini Q for half the price of the Q. I am impatiently waiting :D

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

from 43rumors

I got some ulterior GX8 specs from my sources:
ISO 100-25,600.
Electronic shutter 1/16000
Mechanical shutter 1/8000

– Newly developed 20.3MP Live MOS sensor
– Highest sensitivity ISO25600
– Newly developed Venus Engine
– 6 control camera shake correction system “Dual IS”
– Multi-process noise reduction, three-dimensional color control
– 4K Video · 4K photo (30fps)
– 4K photo three modes (4K burst, 4K burst start-stop, 4K pre-burst)
– Large of 2.36 million dot organic EL EVF. Contrast 10000: 1.
- Magnification 0.77 times
– The back of the monitor organic EL 104 万 dot.
-Free Angle
– Dust and water.
-The body is rugged magnesium alloy build
– More easy to hold grip
– High-speed AF which adopted the DFD.
- AF speed is 0.07 seconds
– Continuous shooting of AF tracking 6 frames / sec.
– Starlight AF corresponding to the darkness of the moonlight of -4EV
– Improved the stability of the video AF
– Maximum speed of mechanical shutter is 1/8000 seconds.
-1/16000 seconds with electronic shutter
– Silent shooting to use the electronic shutter
– Synchro speed is 1/250 sec
This looks indeed really promising, especially if the EVF is really 0.77 times magnification! And overall more optimized layout IMHO.

peterb

This looks indeed really promising, especially if the EVF is really 0.77 times magnification! And overall more optimized layout IMHO.
Peter, one of the things I've been curious about is the GX8's size. Like just how big (or small) IS the camera we're about to find out more about tomorrow (Midnight EST to dovetail with a London announcement). On one above images I noticed that images came courtesy of a website called digicame-info.com . Curious, I went to the site. The site appears to be a well-tapped Japanese site but there were english words in parenthesis that told you which brand they were talking about.

I found the one for Panasonic (the only one for the moment) and went to the page. There on the bottom of the page laden in Japanese in millimeters were the probably leaked dimensions given as 133.1 x 77.9 x 63.1 mm. Since like typical 'merican dolts I'm still not completely metric in many areas I had Google provide me with a calculator that did the 2.54mm/in division for me and came up with 5.24" x 3.07" x 2.48" -- man this camera is SOLID!

Vs the GX7: Bigger all around. Wider by more than 3/8" (~0.4"), taller by over 1/4" (~0.3") and due to what appears to be a much beefier grip to accommodate a bigger battery, thicker by a THIRD of an inch (~0.33").

If you've held one as I have, comparing it to the Leica Q gets even more interesting:

Vs the Leica Q: It's actually slightly WIDER than the Q by about 0.1"!, Nearly the same height 3.07" vs 3.02" (.05" is close enough for government work!) and thickness is hard to actually say since the posted dimension of the Q INCLUDES the fixed lens. That comes to 3.66" so the difference between the Q and the tip of the lens barrel vs the GX8 with it's Sony FE-like grip coming in at 2.48" is about 1.2" (which makes sense) but like the G1 which I bought when THAT first came out because I noted for the most part the thickness of the rectangular body SANS THE GRIP 'visually' appeared to be about the same thickness as my old M6 (or the M8 at the time) from the overhead shots I've seen on the web (for my money the G1 was vastly more appealing than typical DSLR's at the time and still is in the thickness dept.!) it looks like the GX8, like the GX7 and other similar rectangular ILC's that try to keep the thickness of body at a minimum for better grip and eye-appeal, are probably about the same as well.

Interesting times. Very promising camera. I can't wait until midnight here in the states.

P

Last edited:

Matix

Well I have been totally satisfied with my GX7, it is my go to camera body for day to day use, the E-M1 is the travel kit, but I have a good relationship with the GX7.

The GX8 will be a worthy successor, but I am concerned about the seeming lack of on board flash... I do not see it, and it looks like it is missing, while I only rarely use the GX7 flash, it is there when you need it for fill flash and indoor... and it works well with no hunting for the tiny included flash like the E-M1 and LX100... just not the same.

Will have to wait and seen, keep the GX7 for a while to see if it will excel.

Nice to see stabilization built in to the body again, while it is there in the GX7 and likely helps, sound more capable. The noted swivel EVF is also a great feature for me, low level shots are much easier for a mature age person...

I also like the internal stitching of the panoramas, that with the tilting EVF make for some great shots.... like this one in Batch in 2013..360 degree from front to back of a church, and then the second shot is the cathedral, note both front and back windows inclusive.

DMC-GX7, 7 mm (Lumix 7-14), 1/100 at f/4, Exp bias:+1 2/3 EV, ISO 3200, Pattern

Phil

Last edited:

lambert

Perhaps I've misunderstood the specs, but it seems with the GX8 that IBIS is disabled when shooting video. Major omission, if true!!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Perhaps I've misunderstood the specs, but it seems with the GX8 that IBIS is disabled when shooting video. Major omission, if true!!
It's disabled when shooting 4K video, but apparently works with HD (as opposed to with the GX7 where it was disabled for all video). The reason is overheating. When IBIS is active, the sensor will be disconnected from any cooling ribs.

For some weird reason, it appears to have a 2.5mm microphone jack :confused:
The G7 is still still a valid alternative at two thirds of the price and many of the same features. It doesn't feature a magnesium body, and it's larger, but lighter. It obviously lacks IBIS as well, but it does have a built-in flash... and a 3.5mm mic jack :)

Edit: The price difference is almost as big as a speed booster for my Nikkor lenses :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

this is a small celebration here on GetDPI for me, as this is my 3000's post and I am happy it is about some really exciting developments in one of my favorite camera systems - m43!

So check this one out, the review of the Camera Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNIRBGXdxV4

Jordan really seems to like this camera .... as I do from what I have seen. And even if the increase from 16 to 20MP is not shaking the world, it finally makes my life with m43 much easier. And even if IS is somehow limited in video, it should still be pretty good when using OIS lenses.

But also check this one out

Two new lenses and 'Post-Focus' technology on the way from Panasonic: Digital Photography Review

there is a new 4-6.3/100-400 Leica/Panasonic lens under development, something that ticks more than all my boxes for wildlife. And it is a Leica design, so highest IQ can be expected.

I am pretty excited about the latest m43 movements, certainly the right direction and I do hope most of you m43 shooters and lovers are excited in a similar way!

All the best,

Peter