The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Absolutely ! I did love my copy but forced to choose again the 100-400 is at the top of my long lens list by quite a margin over the 100-300/4 or even the announced 300/4.

Kind regards.
My only concern is that it does not come from Olympus :shocked:

dhsimmonds

My only concern is that it does not come from Olympus :shocked:
I am not worried about the Panaleica DG lens quality at all. In my experience they are of exceptional "artistic" quality with sharp yet that difficult to define rendering, one of the characteristics of which is a smooth, buttery bokeh. In contrast the 300/F4 from Oly is sure to be exceptionally sharp, like the 60mm macro, a clinically sharp lens but perhaps without that same artistic drawing that the Panaleica is likely to offer. Of course all of this is pure conjecture and the actual hardware will determine the outcome. Meanwhile, we can but dream and thank our good fortune for such a huge variety of exceptional lenses available for m4/3rds! :cool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am not worried about the Panaleica DG lens quality at all. In my experience they are of exceptional "artistic" quality with sharp yet that difficult to define rendering, one of the characteristics of which is a smooth, buttery bokeh. In contrast the 300/F4 from Oly is sure to be exceptionally sharp, like the 60mm macro, a clinically sharp lens but perhaps without that same artistic drawing that the Panaleica is likely to offer. Of course all of this is pure conjecture and the actual hardware will determine the outcome. Meanwhile, we can but dream and thank our good fortune for such a huge variety of exceptional lenses available for m4/3rds! :cool:
There is for sure hope for the PanaLeica 100-400 ;).

I do agree that the choices of exceptional glass for m43 are meanwhile enormous!

I do hope Olympus remembers their 2.8/90-250 for 43 and makes something like that as well for m43, maybe a constant F4 would do and make the lens much lighter than the F2.8 43 version. Should not be too difficult I guess, but maybe the market is too small. I would instantly jump on such a lens, assuming it is of the same quality as their excellent 2.8/40-150!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, it's even better ! It (partly) comes from Leica ... :grin:
Bart,

I hear you!

Now why I come to my high opinion about Olympus optics is because in the past they always were very comparable IQ wise to Leica glass, in some cases Leica were better, in some cases Olympus. This is definitely true since 43/m43 times (digital Olympus), but there are even examples for that dating back to film times.

And the PanaLeica's actually do not come from Leica, they are developed by Panasonic to meet Leica standards and this is controlled by Leica. Which is good, but they are NO Leica lenses in that regard. And you feel this whenever you touch them (at least I do), with very few exceptions (Nocticron).

I do definitely not want to get into any fight Leica versus Olympus, makes no sense, but end of the day most of the high end Oly glass is same level IMHO as PanaLeica glass.

Peter

dhsimmonds

Not an entirely unexpected price Bart. However we haven't yet seen a definitive price for the mZuiko 300/2.8 from Olympus yet!

k-hawinkler

Knorp

Looks impressively small!

The obvious advantage of a small sensor ....
Unless it deploys IF, the size shown is at its shortest length 100mm.
I suppose at 400mm it'll be a quite different matter ... :bugeyes:

biglouis

Do yourself a favour. Do NOT sell your 100-300, ever.

I did in order to buy a 70-200 from another manufacturer. Trust me the 100-300 smoked the newer lens and I sold it within 2 weeks I was so disappointed.

Now, I'm contemplating buying it back and a GH body to go with it.

Mind you, this new 100-400 looks very tasty indeed...

Just my two cents (regretfully).

LouisB

Knorp

Do yourself a favour. Do NOT sell your 100-300, ever.

I did in order to buy a 70-200 from another manufacturer. Trust me the 100-300 smoked the newer lens and I sold it within 2 weeks I was so disappointed.

Now, I'm contemplating buying it back and a GH body to go with it.

Mind you, this new 100-400 looks very tasty indeed...

Just my two cents (regretfully).

LouisB
If you're not in a hurry just wait a little for the first reviews before buying back the old warhorse.