The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

Knorp

I have just placed my pre-order for this lens. If it does what it say's 'on the tin', I shall be well pleased!
Excellent ! I already ordered my copy on the 16th of October. I guess I'm high if not #1 on the list of my local camera-monger ...

biglouis

Very (very!) tempted. Might just bring me back into the m43rds family.

And it seems to be keenly priced, especially compared to the new Oly 300/4

LouisB

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Multitude of choices! 300/4 with 1.4x teleconverter becomes 420/5.6 and/or 100-400/4-5.6. Which one to get? Or both?

After the latest firmware updates one can use the combination of Olympus' IBIS with the OIS of Panasonic's Nocticron 42.5/1.2 AFAIK.
Will that also work for the 100-400 lens?
I assume one can combine Olympus' IBIS and OIS of the 300/4 lens, including 1.4x teleconverter, to get 6 stops of stabilization.

Feedback? TIA.

k-hawinkler

IMO there is interesting information here with regards to which lens I should get, owning an E-M1 and E-M5.2:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1840

Salient points I picked up on with regards to the Olympus 300/4 PRO:

• For E-M1 and E-M5.2:

Better: Silent mode > Anti-Shock Mode > Single-Shot mechanical shutter.
Also the Olympus 75-300 II seems to focus extremely well. Mine certainly does!

• This sentence "With the 5-axis Sync IS, the lens IS corrects for pitch and yaw movements, while the body-based IS handles pitch and yaw as well as roll movements.” probably should read "With the 5-axis Sync IS, the lens IS corrects for pitch and yaw movements, while the body-based IS handles X and Y translations as well as roll movements."

• I also like the following chapter, explaining the massive 6-stops of image stabilization correction when used with a compatible camera body! Quote:

"Why is the Image Stabilization system with the new Olympus 300mm ƒ/4 Pro so great? According to Olympus, one of the main factors -- in addition to new I.S. algorithms -- is the hand-selected, high-performance gyro sensor inside the lens. Not only did Olympus contract specifically for high-performance gyro sensors, but also each gyro sensor undergoes performance assessments in the factory. Then, Olympus themselves hand-selects the best-performing sensors to go into each 300mm lens. In other words, only the best of the best make the cut for the Olympus 300mm ƒ/4 Pro lens. Furthermore, each time the camera is powered-on, the in-camera IS gyro sensor and the lens's counterpart are calibrated against each other. "

Question: I there any such detailed information available about the PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3? TIA.

dhsimmonds

This a very recent hands on review with brief spec. of features where it states that "dual image stabilisation" is a feature. If so it is exactly the same as the Oly F4 300 prime. Both are splash and dust proof etc. the weight of the lens is 985g and the lens images show the lens both fully extended and retracted. It might help you Karl-Heinz? Panasonic Leica DG 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH Hands-On Preview
OLympus mention that the latest firmware is needed to employ dual image stabilisation on their new mZuiko f4 300 and this may also be true for the DG100-400. I shall be using mine with the E-M1 using the latest firmware v4.0.

biglouis

OK, put in a pre-order at Amazon here in the UK. I tend to buy kit like this from them because they have a generous 30 day exchange period and that was very useful on one occasion last year.

Now I have a conundrum. I don't have a camera body!

I don't know whether to pick up a s/h GH-3 or go the whole hog and get the GX-8 from a grey importer.

Any suggestions?

LouisB

Knorp

OK, put in a pre-order at Amazon here in the UK. I tend to buy kit like this from them because they have a generous 30 day exchange period and that was very useful on one occasion last year.

I don't know whether to pick up a s/h GH-3 or go the whole hog and get the GX-8 from a grey importer.

Any suggestions?

LouisB
Sorry Louis, you're on your own in this I'm afraid.
However, that said: do you remember this cool Post Focus ?
If you like that feature then consider this:
The Post Focus function will be available on LUMIX GX8, G7 and FZ300 by updating the firmware to version 2.0.
It will be available on upcoming new models as well.
Get the new firmware free of charge for LUMIX GX8, G7 (G70 in Germany) and FZ300 (FZ330 in UK).
Well, it doesn't read GH3 or GH4, does it ?

Perhaps this will help you make up your mind: In the field with Panasonic's new 100-400mm zoom
Now don't pay attention to the lens as you already ordered one: just check out the camera ... ;)

All the very best and may you choose wisely ... :)

k-hawinkler

Hi Louis, I agree with Bart. For that lens you seem to need a compatible camera for the dual IS to work. Or vice versa. YMMV. :facesmack:

dhsimmonds

Any suggestions?

LouisB
Hi Louis

Or the Olympus E-M! is now reducing in price as dealers reduce stocks in readiness later this year for the Mk2. A grey importer will probably undercut them!

k-hawinkler

Multitude of choices! 300/4 with 1.4x teleconverter becomes 420/5.6 and/or 100-400/4-5.6. Which one to get? Or both?

After the latest firmware updates one can use the combination of Olympus' IBIS with the OIS of Panasonic's Nocticron 42.5/1.2 AFAIK.
Will that also work for the 100-400 lens?
I assume one can combine Olympus' IBIS and OIS of the 300/4 lens, including 1.4x teleconverter, to get 6 stops of stabilization.

Feedback? TIA.

I am in doubt now whether that is a correct reading of available information.
Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM can be found here: Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera
According to this page currently the latest Firmware versions are: E-M1 version 4.0, E-M5.2 version 2.1 and E-M5 version 2.1

After updating the before mentioned cameras man can also use them to update Panasonic lenses, for example the

LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 ASPH./POWER O.I.S.
(H-NS043) *4

to ver. 1.2 with Release Date of Aug. 18, 2015

with the following proviso:

*4 When using the E-M5 camera for updating the firmware of the lenses, you will need the following firmware version:
- The firmware version of the camera must have the latest version. Please make sure to update the firmware of the camera to the latest version before updating the lenses.
- The firmware version of the Digital Camera Updater must have version 1.03 or later ( for Win ) / version 1.04 or later ( for Mac ).
E-M5 Firmware update
OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater

Also available is a Description of the Nocticron update to version 1.2. It has this url Update Contents for Update Contents for H-NS043 and the following text.

Update Contents for H-NS043
Improvements

Date/Version 2015/08/05 Ver. 1.2

Description
Dual I.S.( Image Stabilizer ) is available by this firmware update.
(in case of the usage of Camera with this function)
* Dual I.S.:Innovative Handshake Correction System by the ideal combination of lens I.S and Body I.S.

Date/Version 2014/04/22 Ver. 1.1

Description
Improved the motion picture quality under high sensitivity in use with GH4.

The terms used are Panasonic expressions, namely: Dual I.S., Lens I.S and Body I.S.

Corresponding Olympus expressions are: 5-axis Sync IS, Lens IS and Body IS according to this page: M.Zuiko ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO Lens | Olympus

Here is a quote from Panasonic DMC-GX8 Lumix Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds DMC-GX8/B
"Dual Image Stabilization
Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, Dual I.S. combines the GX8's sensor-shift image stabilization technology with lens-based image stabilization to compensate for a broader range of movement types to render sharper, clearer imagery. Dual I.S. requires the use of compatible Lumix lenses featuring O.I.S."

So, how interoperable are Olympus and Panasonic cameras with the other company's lenses?

It seems the 300/4 wouldn't get the full benefit of stabilization, i.e. Dual I.S., on a Panasonic camera.
An open question in my mind is whether the 100-400 gets the full benefit of stabilization, i.e. 5-axis Sync IS, on an E-M1 or E-M5.2 the way the 300/4 does. I doubt it does. :facesmack:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

So, after checking some more I finally got the message. :banghead:
MFT lenses can be used on Olympus and Panasonic cameras - but not all native features work on non-native cameras.
In particular Dual I.S. seems specific to Panasonic and 5-axis Sync IS to Olympus.

Does that matter?
Well, only if one cares how many stops of image stabilization is attainable.
According to some websites, in case of the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens, it's either 4 or 6 stops.
Clearly the law of diminishing returns seems already in effect.
Does it make a difference for one's photography? Maybe, maybe not. You decide!

Anyway, for my E-M1 and E-M5.2 I have ordered the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens.

Now, what to do about my LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. lens?
Dual I.S. would be operative in combination with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera.
How much difference would that make? I don't know. Probably not as much as other camera features like the newer sensor.

Final questions.

Currently, which camera would be best to use with the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens?
How many image stabilization stops does the POWER O.I.S. Lens achieve? How many with Dual I.S.?

Any feedback is appreciated. TIA.

k-hawinkler

The Olympus 300mm f/4 Pro Review - MirorLessons

Quote:

"Here again the performance will vary depending on which camera you use. Within the Olympus range, we have to separate the E-M1 and E-M5 mark II from the other OM-D and Pen cameras. When the lens is attached to the E-M1 or E-M5 mark II with their latest firmwares installed, both stabilisation systems (optical and sensor) will be used together to produce what Olympus calls Sync IS. In fact if you turn off the IS on the lens, the IBIS on the camera is de-activated as well. Once IS is enabled on the lens, you can choose the IBIS type on the camera. I found that leaving it to Auto was often the best option. Olympus claims 6 stops of compensation.

During my tests, I managed to get sharp results down to 0.4s which is quite impressive."

"With Panasonic cameras, only the optical stabilisation will be effective. It is true that the GX8 has a similar system to the Olympus Sync IS called Dual IS. Unfortunately it only works with select Panasonic lenses so in this case, I could only benefit from the lens IS. That could seem like a limitation somehow but the truth is that the internal stabilisation of the 300mm is quite stunning. I managed to get sharp results down to 1/6s."

The Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm *PRO *Lens - creative * island * photography

A non-technical review with videos.

Обзор M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm 1:4.0 IS PRO — часть 8 — Примеры снимков | Дмитрий Крупский

A review in Russian with lots of pictures.

Last edited:

Knorp

K-H, all well and good, but what is 6 stops of compensation worth for moving targets ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So, after checking some more I finally got the message. :banghead:
MFT lenses can be used on Olympus and Panasonic cameras - but not all native features work on non-native cameras.
In particular Dual I.S. seems specific to Panasonic and 5-axis Sync IS to Olympus.

Does that matter?
Well, only if one cares how many stops of image stabilization is attainable.
According to some websites, in case of the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens, it's either 4 or 6 stops.
Clearly the law of diminishing returns seems already in effect.
Does it make a difference for one's photography? Maybe, maybe not. You decide!

Anyway, for my E-M1 and E-M5.2 I have ordered the Olympus 300/4 PRO lens.

Now, what to do about my LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. lens?
Dual I.S. would be operative in combination with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera.
How much difference would that make? I don't know. Probably not as much as other camera features like the newer sensor.

Final questions.

Currently, which camera would be best to use with the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens?
How many image stabilization stops does the POWER O.I.S. Lens achieve? How many with Dual I.S.?

Any feedback is appreciated. TIA.
Without any scientific research or tests I would say from my long year experience with any type of camera brands that the PanaLeica lens will work best on a GX8 (currently, till a GH5 will be available) and the Olympus lens on a Olympus camera (currently EM1, EM5II, till EM1markII becomes available). Simple as that!

But to be hones, I would not really care about that and what combo gives you the most advantage in f-stops, as for any moving subject (which is most what at least I shoot with long tele) the object movement becomes the limiting factor much earlier than the camera movement due to camera shake etc.

For me these lenses are interesting mainly because of

1) the reach

2) the flexibility (zoom wins hands down, if IQ is good, which I take for granted with the PanaLeica).

Hence my first choice would be the 100-400 and only then the 300 (although I generally love Olympus Pro lenses).

Just my 5c

k-hawinkler

Thanks gentlemen. As always, the proof is in the pudding. :D

Grey Seals at Angel Bay - Olympus Sync IS (OM-D E-M1, M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 Pro, MC-14)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_q3AeGo_c
The video was shot entirely hand held with Sync IS stabilisation (M-IS1 setting).

Well, I am impressed!
I am sure video quality will be better in future Olympus cameras.
IMHO the 300/4 lens + 1.4x teleconverter seem to deliver. :thumbs:

I agree, the PANA LEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3 has more utility in certain situations.
In this context these two lenses seem similar to my APO-R 280/4 and VARIO-R 105-280/4.2.
I like using both, depends on what I would like to shoot.

Last edited:

Knorp

Thanks gentlemen. As always, the proof is in the pudding. :D

Grey Seals at Angel Bay - Olympus Sync IS (OM-D E-M1, M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 Pro, MC-14)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_q3AeGo_c
The video was shot entirely hand held with Sync IS stabilisation (M-IS1 setting).

Well, I am impressed!
I am sure video quality will be better in future Olympus cameras.
IMHO the 300/4 lens + 1.4x teleconverter seem to deliver. :thumbs:

I agree, the PANA LEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3 has more utility in certain situations.
In this context these two lenses seem similar to my APO-R 280/4 and VARIO-R 105-280/4.2.
I like using both, depends on what I would like to shoot.
You know what ? I'm hoping the MC-14 gets along with the 100-400 ... :p

biglouis

All the very best and may you choose wisely ... :)
Hi Louis, I agree with Bart. For that lens you seem to need a compatible camera for the dual IS to work. Or vice versa. YMMV. :facesmack:
Hi Louis

Or the Olympus E-M! is now reducing in price as dealers reduce stocks in readiness later this year for the Mk2. A grey importer will probably undercut them!
OK, well thanks for the advice. I've gone with a GX-8 and 12-35/2.8 bundle which comes at a very competitive price, plus GBP 150 cash back and a 5 year warranty (and a free 32GB card which is not one of my liking but hey-ho).

My experience before with m43rds leads me to believe that for a Lumix lens a Panasonic body is probably the best. BTW, I wonder how long it will before I crack and get the 20/1.7, 7-14 and the incredible (I think) DG 45 macro.

Now, I only have the long wait for the 100-400.

LouisB