The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

biglouis

I'm still investigating my GX-8 but one thing I will say is that compared to the price of other systems I own (Sony, Leica) it is a lot of bang for the buck. In fact, very good value for money.

Of course it can't compete with my Sigma DPxM bodies at low iso (100-400) but then not even my A7R can compete with the DP2M or DP3M at iso100.

But the GX-8 is a lot more convenient to shoot with and is to my mind a very well thought out camera.

LouisB

Annna T

K-H, you could be in for a serious system shock, check out this post: Olympus full frame lens patent

:chug:
Or could it be that Olympus designed the Sony FE 28mm F2.8 ? They were supposed to increase their collaboration, with Olympus sharing some if its lens manufacturing know how and Sony its sensors.

One should compare the patent shema with that if the FE lens ..

Knorp

Or could it be that Olympus designed the Sony FE 28mm F2.8 ? They were supposed to increase their collaboration, with Olympus sharing some if its lens manufacturing know how and Sony its sensors.

Clever thinking, Annna ! Perhaps that's the answer to the riddle :thumbup:

biglouis

Do you mean the FE 2/28? That is an outstandingly good lens for a ridiculously cheap price.

LouisB

Annna T

Do you mean the FE 2/28? That is an outstandingly good lens for a ridiculously cheap price.

LouisB
Yes, that it the one I was thinking too. I got it for only 350.- CHF with 8% sale taxe included.. When I got it there was a 10% rebate on Sony products.. So yes it is an incredibly good value. My sample is very sharp, but the distortion is too much for architecture, so I don't use it that much.

Given both the size and the sharpness, it could well be an Olympus design : that seems to fit Olympus philosophy.. But I'm too lazy this afternoon to chase for the two graphs and compare them..

k-hawinkler

Tiresome and a waste of time ... anyway, overall conclusion: it's the GX8 you want. period.
And this one? :grin:

Robin Wong: Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS PRO Lens Review

Quote:
"Here are some important points to note: Currently only Olympus OM-D E-M1 and E-M5 Mark II bodies can enjoy the 5-Axis Sync IS with the M.Zuiko 300mm F4 PRO lens. All other Olympus camera bodies does not support this feature. It is my understanding that selected models will get firmware updates in the future to enable the support for the 5-Axis Sync IS. For E-M1 and E-M5 Mark II, you do not get the choice to choose which IS to use, meaning you only have ONE choice of Image Stabilization, which is the full 5-Axis Sync IS using BOTH lens + body IS system. However, for all other Olympus cameras that do not support 5-Axis Sync IS, you need to manually choose which IS you would want to use, either body 5-Axis IS, or the lens 2-Axis IS."

Interesting. So, with E-M1 and E-M5.2 I get 5-Axis Sync IS. However, with E-M5 I can also compare 5-Axis IBIS against 2-Axis Lens IS. Hmm, that should be fun. :bugeyes:
I knew there was a reason to keep my 3 OM-D cameras. :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Another quote:
"Olympus claims that with this new IS mechanism, 6 shutter speed steps of compensation can be achieved. That means, from 600mm (equivalent focal length) to 300mm equals 1 step, 300mm to 150mm is another step, and so forth. In order to prove that it really can compensate up to 6 steps of shutter speed, the Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 PRO lens must be hand-held at 1/10sec while shooting."

I like the selfie shot part in this image. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U1lAf1Xmnnc/VqOE_R-kXtI/AAAAAAAAs0c/h0lA8HumQqM/s1600/P1230456a.jpg

But, of course, what if the subject moves? :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Therefore, correspondingly it should be feasible to shoot the 100-400 lens on GX8 with 5 stops stabilization hand held at about 1/50 to 1/60 s @ 400 mm and get sharp images. :thumbup:

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The review from Robin Wong about the new 4/300 is actually describing a really, Really, REALLY excellent lens. If I could decide to stay in m43 land I would definitely be buying one, maybe as well as the 100-400 and call it a day.

Will wait a bit to see what the PenF will bring in reality, maybe m43 life for me is still not over :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The DG Leica bokeh doesn't disappoint with this lens and is in line with every other DG Leica lens that I have ever used! I have even delayed my annual trip to Africa this year until I can get my hands on my pre-ordered lens!:D
Will be great wildlife lens for sure! Wish you could pair it with a 20MP sensor ....

f6cvalkyrie

The GX8 does have a 20.3 mpx sensor! It is the largest sensor in any MFT camera.....until the E-M1 Mk2 is announced perhaps!!
Dave, are you sure the GX8 sensor is larger than the other MFT sensors so far ? That would also imply a smaller crop factor, and maybe vignetting problems with existing lenses ....

Or does the GX8 sensor just have a higher pixel count in the same sensor dimensions ?

CU,
Rafael