The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

dhsimmonds

Dave, are you sure the GX8 sensor is larger than the other MFT sensors so far ? That would also imply a smaller crop factor, and maybe vignetting problems with existing lenses ....

Or does the GX8 sensor just have a higher pixel count in the same sensor dimensions ?

CU,
Rafael
You are quite correct it is of course a higher pixel count sensor! It's what happens when I post in haste!:facesmack:

mazor

The GX8 does have a 20.3 mpx sensor! It is the largest sensor in any MFT camera.....until the E-M1 Mk2 is announced perhaps!!
Hmm, would be even better if the E-M1 Mk2 had a 24MP sensor. 24MP seems to be the common good resolution for other formats like APS-C, and full frame. Also hope the E-m1 mk2 retains the excellent on sensor PDAF, and maybe improves on it by having a full coverage PDAF capable sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, based on these tables, it looks like only Olympus based lens IS lenses would be able to achieve sync IS, which means lenses like the Nocticron or the 100-400, will not be able to take advantage of sync IS :(

k-hawinkler

Hmm, would be even better if the E-M1 Mk2 had a 24MP sensor. 24MP seems to be the common good resolution for other formats like APS-C, and full frame. Also hope the E-m1 mk2 retains the excellent on sensor PDAF, and maybe improves on it by having a full coverage PDAF capable sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, based on these tables, it looks like only Olympus based lens IS lenses would be able to achieve sync IS, which means lenses like the Nocticron or the 100-400, will not be able to take advantage of sync IS :(

According to these tables, to me it looks like this:

Nocticron 42.5/1.2 and 100-400/4-6.3 will benefit from Dual I.S. on GX8.
Oly 300/4 PRO will benefit from 5-axis Sync IS on E-M1 and E-M5.2.

Both, lenses and cameras with latest firmware.

Last edited:

mazor

hmm, guess to get the most out of the 100-400, it is best to pair it with a GX8. Not sure how well the 100-400 will balance with the GX8's rangefinder style body without some sort of vertical grip.

mazor

thanks for the video link!

Indeed it does look like the 100-400 mates well with the Gx8. It still looks a little large for the GX8, but isprob no where as large as the Oly 40-150 pro or the Oly 300mm pro.

henningw

thanks for the video link!

Indeed it does look like the 100-400 mates well with the Gx8. It still looks a little large for the GX8, but isprob no where as large as the Oly 40-150 pro or the Oly 300mm pro.
I think it's very close to the 40-150/2.8 in size, and would complement that lens well.

drofnad

Tiresome and a waste of time ... anyway, overall conclusion: it's the GX8 you want. period.
Or it might depend on your budget.
At seemingly common prices on the FM B&S board, one can land the GX7 + 35-100/2.8 for less than a new GX8 (and the 7 + a lens takes MUCH better shots than an 8 w/o! :D ). Though with the GX8, finding that the tucked-in-coat monitor covered w/GreatEasternBlizzard snow should be less alarming! (I had the E-M5 + 12-40 outside of coat, and glad for their toughness.) (But, yeah, I see GX8s showing up at around $800, now.)

Now, on the issue of this latest, vogue come-on of "dual-/synch'd-"IS/OIS, does anyone else besides me smell something dubious? ---something along the lines of the standard marketing promise that more is better? I find it odd that OIS & IBIS that were made to do a job (independently) should be so readily rearranged to work together. I'm thinking that it might cost each half some of what it would do well alone just to cooperate --call it some sort of *overhead*. And to this point, Tyson's remark hit that nail on the head, at least by his assessment with one lens --to wit:
Secondly, and more impressively, the OIS on the PL 42.5/1.2 kicks the Dual IS’s *** at just about every increment. Again, I’m not sure if this is congruous with all other Dual IS compatible lenses as the Nocti is the only Dual IS compatible lens I own, so take that to heart here.
Btw, I recall someone posting a fellow's testing that put the 35-100/2.8's OIS tops at 3.5 EV, the 12-35/2.8 2nd w/3.3, and the E-M5(i) 3rd with 3.0. --for whatever that's worth, in pixels or keystrokes. (And recall that Tyson had the GX7 nearly bettering the E-M5, 2 vs. 5.) Much a YMMV thing.
Beyond that is asking if such differences have real practical effect, just as the every so often mpix boost can be questioned.

I look at it as 2-axis ventures out ... and then along comes 5-axis; little 2-axis returns to the duel "dual'd" (that'll show 'em); well, 5-axis knows a good marketing trick when it sees one and "syncs" right into it! What next? (We had the Trac II for a LONG time before someone thought to raise the ante with 3 blades, which drew the 1-ups response of 4, and then, as Dave Barry so aptly put it, "Gillette convened their research group to find which number comes after 4" !

But, yeah, GX8 w/swivel-display for portrait orientation, tougher body (and maybe welcome size bump), and ... .

-d.