The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

Knorp

Another sample: first full, second crop ... ;)

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 264 mm
Aperture priority AE, 1/320 sec, f/8, ISO 400, Ev -1

Knorp

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm
Aperture priority AE, 0.5 sec, f/13, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

need a better more suitable object for testing ... a stuffed bird perhaps ?

Knorp

Aperture priority AE, 4 sec, f/9, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

Preliminary conclusion: at close range (1,5 - 2,0 mtr) at 400mm on a tripod with stabilisation switched off it is actually not too bad ...
To do: a test with and without stabilisation and a long range test.

biglouis

Aperture priority AE, 0.5 sec, f/13, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

need a better more suitable object for testing ... a stuffed bird perhaps ?
It's a Leica... beautiful delicate tones.

I just wish one of the two I have on order would finally come through!

LouisB

Knorp

Another sample: first full, second crop ...

LEICA DG 100-400/F4-6.3 Shot at 400 mm : distance 7,5 mtr
Aperture priority AE, 0.2 sec, f/8, ISO 100, Ev +0.3 | tripod used, lens and camera stabilisation both switched off

biglouis

My lens was delayed by four days due to a SNAFU by Royal Mail, so this evening I finally have it in my hands and have only had about half an hour in late evening light to try it out.

First impression: wow! These are all hand held and with minor alterations in LR, taken with GX8. Not my best work but still impressive for quick and dirty photographs. I am sure better technique and a longer time to take the shots will lead to much better results.

This last shot, like Knorp's above shows to me that the lens is a 'Leica'

Knorp

Too bad about that shiny spider thread, but these tulips are just gorgeous

Posted this also in "Artful pics of flora..."

biglouis

^^^^ Bart - you need steady hands, plus high burst setting - but you nailed the shot. ^^^^

Thiis is from today. Hand-held and this is a near 100% crop demonstrating the strengths of the sensor and the lens. Not the most attractive animal - a Coot with a recently hatched chick, I know because the chick was not there yesterday. Only had it 4 days already I love this lens.

biglouis

This one kinda justifies the asking price of the lens. To me, at least. This is about 60% of the frame.

biglouis

Excellent shot, Louis
I've been using both my monopod and hand holding. I get more keepers hand holding which says something about the manoeuvrability of the lens, imho.

I'm feeling really glad that I bought back into m43rds.

LouisB