The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

Knorp

Well, well, well - about time the ancient Lumix 100-300mm / F4.0-5.6 is going to be replaced.
Come to think of it, I really prefer this Panaleica zoom over the prime Oly 300mm / F4.0 ...

New LEICA DG 200-800mm (35mm Equiv.) Zoom Lens Under Development

Panasonic is developing the first LEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3 telephoto zoom lens (35mm camera equivalent: 200-800mm) for the Micro Four Thirds system standard to expand the lineup of DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) digital interchangeable lenses.

The LEICA DG lenses are designed and developed under the stringent quality standard certified by Leica that boast excellent optical performance. Four single focal length LEICA DG lenses have already introduced to the market and have been highly acclaimed by users worldwide.

The new telephoto zoom achieves exceptional imaging performance over the entire zoom range. It also features high speed digital signal exchange at 240 fps to comply with the high-speed, high-precision AF (Auto Focus) with DFD (Depth From Defocus) technology on LUMIX G cameras. Together with the POWER O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer), it lets users to focus on the target quickly to capture crisp, clear images. In addition, the new lens is both light and small and is splash/dust-proof to withstand heavy field use. As the new telephoto zoom lens excels in size and weight, it enables handheld 800mm (35mm camera equivalent) telephoto shooting without using a tripod.

Exciting !

:watch:

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is a stunning lens and as Knorp already mentioned I think I will prefer this lens to the Oly 4/300. I am mainly looking to use this lens for wildlife and there a zoom is always what I prefer as you can much faster react to always changing situations.

I have high hopes in the Leica design - hope it comes true!

Knorp

Yup - surely I won't be cheap, but up till now the Panaleica prices aren't too bad.
Still, my wild guess: € 1.950,-, so better start saving my pennies ...

Godfrey

Looks lovely. Do I need an 800mm equivalent FoV lens? I dunno ... I rarely use even the 75, although I'm surely enjoying the 180 on the Nikon F6.

G

Knorp

From the same folks who brought you the Nocticron. (And will not doubt charge accordingly.)
And what a magnificent lens the Nocticron is !
Worth every penny and just a small premium over the much acclaimed Oly 75/1.8 ...

Knorp

I'm hoping it's good through whole of its zoom range and at least excellent on centre all the way.
Any barrel and/or pin-cushion distortion is likely to be correct in-camera or in PP.
But if its IQ is the same or only a little better as the Lumix 100-300 I'll be happy.

All the best.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I decide to continue using m43 for my wildlife photography and not move on to Nikon FF again, then this lens will certainly be a fix starter for me.

mazor

Well, well, well - about time the ancient Lumix 100-300mm / F4.0-5.6 is going to be replaced.
Come to think of it, I really prefer this Panaleica zoom over the prime Oly 300mm / F4.0 ...

Exciting !

:watch:
Does sound nice, but not sure if it would replace my ancient 100-300, as the 100-300 rates really well for travel.

Knorp

Does sound nice, but not sure if it would replace my ancient 100-300, as the 100-300 rates really well for travel.
Absolutely ! I did love my copy but forced to choose again the 100-400 is at the top of my long lens list by quite a margin over the 100-300/4 or even the announced 300/4.

Kind regards.