The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can't get rid of these green squares!

I have a Panasonic G2 and something's changed with how the viewfinder handles auto focus. I didn't accidentally change any settings and I didn't lend the camera to anyone else so I'm puzzled why the change occured. Prior to this, I could move the cross hair anywhere I wanted to within the viewfinder and let the AF lock on that particular point. Now, I get a bunch of green squares appearing in the viewfinder to set the AF point. Unfortunately, I have no control over where these squares appear in the viewfinder - they pop up randomly all over the place. I can't figure out how to get it back to the way it was before where I could select the AF point by moving the cross hair in the viewfinder. Ive looked through all the AF options in the menu but haven't had any success in changing it back. Is there a simple fix?

I think the G2 has a dial for selecting AF mode: did you check that ?
It does indeed have a physical dial but that's for changing between Single AF and Continuous AF, as well as manual focus. The green squares still randomly appear regardless of whether the camera is in S AF or C AF.

Knorp

Using the lever you can select AFS/AFC/MF
But you can turn the dial selecting 23 or 1 AF zone(s)
Or check the menu for Custom option => Direct Focus Area: On

Annna T

I have a Panasonic G2 and something's changed with how the viewfinder handles auto focus. I didn't accidentally change any settings and I didn't lend the camera to anyone else so I'm puzzled why the change occured. Prior to this, I could move the cross hair anywhere I wanted to within the viewfinder and let the AF lock on that particular point. Now, I get a bunch of green squares appearing in the viewfinder to set the AF point. Unfortunately, I have no control over where these squares appear in the viewfinder - they pop up randomly all over the place. I can't figure out how to get it back to the way it was before where I could select the AF point by moving the cross hair in the viewfinder. Ive looked through all the AF options in the menu but haven't had any success in changing it back. Is there a simple fix?
Looks as if you have set AF on flexible spot with auto selection, where the body choose the focus point and can get multiple points. You have to select AF on flexible spot and single point. Or something like that. It is a long time since I gave sold my Panasonic G3 and I don't remember where that option lies in the Panasonic menu. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Photon42

For me cross-hair sounds like C-AF. I do not have a G2, but is there any mode (and potentially a respective mode dial) on the G2, where some auto-all mode can be selected? That always includes allowing the camera to find itself a focus area (arbitrary green squares).

is there any mode (and potentially a respective mode dial) on the G2, where some auto-all mode can be selected? That always includes allowing the camera to find itself a focus area (arbitrary green squares).
I believe there is such a mode but I can't remember how to activate it, and Ive never used it. I'm usually using manual exposure and manual iso selection. I did have an instruction manual for the G2 but Ive misplaced it. I guess I could download it online.